Maria M. Yudkevich
- Vice Rector
- Director:Center for Institutional Studies
- Associate Professor:Faculty of Economic Sciences / Department of Applied Economics
- Laboratory Head:Center for Institutional Studies / International Research Laboratory for Institutional Analysis of Economic Reforms
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Maria M. Yudkevich has been at HSE since 1998.
- Coordination and supervision of project, research and educational laboratories
- Coordination and supervision of the high HR capacity programme
- Development of tools for academic development of HSE teachers
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
- 2006Associate Professor
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Economic Theory
Higher School of Economics
Master in Economics
Higher School of Economics
Diploma in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
- Institutional Economics
- Economics of Education
- Contract theory
- Game theory
Student Term / Thesis Papers
A. Shishkov «The Role of Stimulating Teachers in the Transition to Effective Academic Contract». Institute of Education, 2016
E. Shakina «Individual Research Grants and Academic Productivity». Institute of Education, 2016
M. Xismatullina «Peer-effect in students' online social networks». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2014
Editorial board membership
2014: Editor-in-chief, Higher Education in Russia and Beyond.
Social networks and peer-effects of university students
The psychological predictors of academic performance among university students
Trust as measure of social capital and education
Institutional dynamics and individual strategies: the case of university admission process
International Comparison of Academic Salaries in 28 Countries
Institutional analysis of public procurement in Russia
- 2016Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA 2016) (Москва). Presentation: Does Financial Aid Design Matter for Student Academic Achievement?
- 2015CHER 28th Annual Conference - Global Challenges, National Initiatives, and Institutional Responses – The Transformation of Higher Education (Лиссабон). Presentation: The Impact of University Academic Culture on the Symptoms of "Global Ranking Fever": The Case of One Russian University
- The 27th Annual European Association for International Education (EAIE) Conference (Glasgow). Presentation: The Global Academic Rankings Game: Implications for Internationalization
- International Conference on Applied Research in Economics 2015 ( iCare 3) (Пермь). Presentation: Pay for Progress or Pay in Advance: Impact of Financial Aid on University Student Achievements
- Workshop on National Higher Education Systems and Academic Career Pathways (São Paulo). Presentation: The Role of National Context in Understanding Higher Education Landscape: Case of Russia
- International Conference on World-Class Universities (WCU-6) (Shanghai). Presentation: Global Visibility and Local Engagement: Can They Go Together? The Case of Higher School of Economics, Russia
- International conference organized by Dalian University of Technology and Chinese Society of Higher Education Research (Dalian). Presentation: University Governance: Regulating and Supervising Mechanisms of Powers
- 2014"Universities in transition: shifting institutional and organizational boundaries", CHER 27th Annual Conference (Рим). Presentation: The Changing Relationship between Academics, their Institutions and the State: Western Europe and North America
- "Europe in the world. Higher education developments across the globe", ACA Annual Conference 2014 (Бордо). Presentation: Russia: Internalisation all over?
- The Economics of Study Choices (Цюрих). Presentation: Social Networks and the Choice of Specialization
Dissertation for a degree of Candidate of Science
M. M. Yudkevich Издержки измерения и институты рынков доверительных товаров
- Book The Global Academic Rankings Game. Changing Institutional Policy, Practice, and Academic Life / Науч. ред.: P. G. Altbach, M. M. Yudkevich, L. E. Rumbley. Routledge, 2016. (in print)
- Chapter Yudkevich M. M., Pavlyutkin I. The Impact of University Academic Culture and Leadership on the Symptoms of “Global Ranking Fever”: The Case of One Russian University in a Particular Institutional Context, in: Higher education research in the 21st century series Vol. 9: Global Challenges, National Initiatives, and Institutional Responses. Boston, Rotterdam, Taipei : Sense Publishers, 2016. P. 187-204.
- Chapter Yudkevich M. M., Pavlyutkin I. The Ranking Game on the Russian Battlefield: The Case of the Higher School of Economics, in: The Global Academic Rankings Game. Changing Institutional Policy, Practice, and Academic Life / Науч. ред.: P. G. Altbach, M. M. Yudkevich, L. E. Rumbley. Routledge, 2016. Ch. 9.
- Article Poldin O. V., Valeeva D., Yudkevich M. M. Which Peers Matter: How Social Ties Affect Peer-Group Effects // Research in Higher Education. 2016. Vol. 57. No. 4. P. 448-468. doi
- Chapter Maria Yudkevich, Elizaveta Sivak. Academic Immobility and Inbreeding in Russian Universities, in: Academic Inbreeding and Mobility in Higher Education. Global Perspectives / Ed. by Maria Yudkevich, P. G. Altbach, L. E. Rumbley. Palgrave Macmillan, 2015. Ch. 6. P. 130-155.
- Book Academic Inbreeding and Mobility in Higher Education. Global Perspectives / Ed. by Maria Yudkevich, P. G. Altbach, L. E. Rumbley. Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
- Article Altbach P., Yudkevich M. M., Rumbley L. E. Academic inbreeding: local challenge, global problem // Asia Pacific Education Review. 2015. Vol. 16. No. 3. P. 317-330. doi
- Chapter Prakhov I. A., Yudkevich M. M. Admission Policy in Contemporary Russia: Recent Changes, Expected Outcomes, and Potential Winners, in: International Perspectives on Higher Education Admission Policy: A Reder. NY : Peter Lang Publishing Inc., 2015. P. 83-100.
- Preprint Poldin O. V., Yudkevich M. M., Simoes T., Knobel M. Estimation of peer effects with predicted social ties: Evidence from two universities in Brazil and Russia / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2015. No. WP BRP 30/EDU/2015.
- Chapter Dokuka S., Valeeva D., Yudkevich M. M. Formation and evolution mechanisms in online network of students: the Vkontakte case, in: Analysis of Images, Social Networks and Texts. 4th International Conference, AIST 2015, Yekaterinburg, Russia, April 9–11, 2015, Revised Selected Papers / Ed. by M. Y. Khachay, N. Konstantinova, A. Panchenko, D. I. Ignatov, V. Labunets. Vol. 542: Series: Communications in Computer and Information Science. Switzerland : Springer International Publishing, 2015. P. 263-274. doi
- Chapter Finkelstein M., Iglesias K., Panova A. A., Yudkevich M. M. Future Prospects for Young Faculty Across the Academic World: A Global Comparison and Assessment, in: Young faculty in the 21st century: International Perspectives / Ed. by M. M. Yudkevich, P. Altbach, L. E. Rumbley. NY, Albany : State University of New York Press, 2015. Ch. 12. P. 321-350.
- Article Yudkevich M. M., Altbach P. G., Rumbley L. E. Global university rankings: The “Olympic Games” of higher education? // PROSPECTS. 2015. P. 1-9. doi (in print)
- Preprint Dokuka S., Valeeva D., Yudkevich M. M. The Diffusion of Academic Achievements: Social Selection and Influence in Student Networks / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2015. No. WP BRP 65/SOC/2015.
- Chapter Yudkevich M. M. The University Sector in Russia: Young Romantics and Losers Welcome?, in: Young faculty in the 21st century: International Perspectives / Ed. by M. M. Yudkevich, P. Altbach, L. E. Rumbley. NY, Albany : State University of New York Press, 2015. Ch. 9. P. 227-252.
- Book Young faculty in the 21st century: International Perspectives / Ed. by M. M. Yudkevich, P. Altbach, L. E. Rumbley. NY, Albany : State University of New York Press, 2015.
- Preprint Poldin O. V., Valeeva D., Yudkevich M. M. Friendship And Study Assistance Ties Of University Students / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2014. No. WP BRP 37/SOC/2014.
- Article Ampilogov A. I., Prakhov I. A., Yudkevich M. M. One or Many? Using the New Opportunities of the Unified State Exam in Russian University Admissions // Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning. 2014. Vol. 16. No. 1. P. 34-49.
- Preprint Kochergina E. V., Nye J. V., Yudkevich M. M., Orel E. The Effects Of Prenatal Testosterone On Adult Wages: Evidence From Russian Rlms Data And Measured 2d:4d Digit Ratios / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Economics/EC". 2014. No. 71.
- Article Yudkevich M. M. The Russian University: recovery and rehabilitation // Studies in Higher Education. 2014. Vol. 39. No. 8. P. 1463-1474. doi
- Preprint Poldin O. V., Valeeva D., Yudkevich M. M. How social ties affect peer-group effects: a case of university students / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2013. No. 15/SOC/2013.
- Article Yudkevich M. M. Leading Universities in Russia: From teaChing to Research Excellence // Journal of International Higher Education. 2013. Vol. 6. No. 3. P. 113-116.
- Preprint Ampilogov A. I., Prakhov I. A., Yudkevich M. M. One or Many? Using the New Opportunities of the Unified State Exam in Russian University Admissions / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2013. No. 12.
- Article Androuschak G. V., Poldin O. V., Yudkevich M. M. Role of peers in student academic achievement in exogenously formed university groups // Educational Studies. 2013. Vol. 39. No. 5. P. 568-581. doi
- Book The Global Future of Higher Education and the Academic Profession: The BRICs and the United States / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. V. Androuschak, Y. I. Kuzminov. Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Article Nye J. V., Androuschak G. V., Desierto D., Jones G., Yudkevich M. M. 2D:4D Asymmetry and Gender Differences in Academic Performance // Plos One. 2012. No. 7(10) doi
- Article Androuschak G. V., Yudkevich M. M. How Post-Soviet Russian Academia Struggles with the Past // International Higher Education. 2012. No. 69. P. 23-25.
- Book Paying the Professoriate: A Global Comparison of Compensation and Contracts / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. V. Androuschak, I. Pacheco. L. : Routledge, 2012.
- Preprint Androushchak G., Poldin O. V., Yudkevich M. M. Peer Effects in Exogenously Formed University Student Groups / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2012. No. 03.
- Chapter Androuschak G. V., Yudkevich M. M. Quantitative Analysis: Looking for Commonalities in a Sea of Differences, in: Paying the Professoriate: A Global Comparison of Compensation and Contracts / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. V. Androuschak, I. Pacheco. L. : Routledge, 2012. Ch. 2. P. 21-34.
- Preprint Prakhov I. A., Yudkevich M. M. University Admission In Russia: Do the Wealthier Benefit from Standardized Exams? / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2012. No. 04.
- Preprint Nye J. V., Androuschak G. V., Desierto D., Jones G., Yudkevich M. M. What Determines Trust? Human Capital vs. Social Institutions: Evidence from Manila and Moscow / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EC "Economics". 2012. No. 18.
- Preprint Kuzminov Y. I., Yudkevich M. M. Academic Freedom and University Standards for Teaching and Research / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP10 "Научные доклады Института институциональных исследований". 2007. No. 01.
- Book Khovanskaya I. A., Sonin K., Yudkevich M. M. Budget Uncertainty and Faculty Contracts: A Dynamic Framework for Comparative Analysis Vol. 112. Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR), 2007.
- Preprint Khovanskaya I. A., Sonin K., Yudkevich M. M. Budget Uncertainty and Faculty Contracts: A Dynamic Framework for Comparative Analysis / Центр экономических и финансовых исследований и разработок в российской экономической школе, Российская экономическая школа. Series "CEFIR / NES Working Paper". 2007. No. 112.
- Preprint Dodlova M. C., Yudkevich M. M. Sustaining Efficient Bureaucracies: What Does Gift Exchange Theory Say? / Italian Society of Law and Economic. Series "SIDE Working Papers". 2007. No. -.
- Book Юдкевич М. М. Professor - University Relationships: Incentives for Investment in Joint Future. М. : Издательский дом ГУ-ВШЭ, 2005.
- Preprint Yudkevich M. M. Professor — University Relationships: Incentives for Investment in Joint Future / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP10 "Научные доклады Института институциональных исследований". 2005. No. 05.
In last days of July the Russian government was discussing a bill to increase the period of graduate study from 3 to 4 years. The project proposes to amend the federal law “On Higher and Postgraduate Professional Education”, in regard to training for a number of technical and natural sciences industries. Proponents justify the proposal by the fact that a number of disciplines (particularly in technical and natural sciences) require mandatory experimental validation of the theoretical results. Also, an additional year of postgraduate studies may increase the likelihood that students will create experimental equipment and/or use it for implementing research findings into industrial practice.
From July 2 – 7, 2016, the 10th Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA) took place just outside of Moscow. This event traditionally attracts experts in various areas of institutional research, as well as young researchers, for whom the School is a chance to work on projects under the supervision of leading scholars.
In January 2016, six university research centres representing countries in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa came together to form an international consortium whose main objective is to develop a strategy for carrying out comparative higher education research in various regions around the world.
Academic and expert in the field of international higher education, Philip Altbach has been made Honorary Professor in a ceremony at HSE. Altbach began to study education in his youth because he believed it was a key factor to bring about change in society. Is it possible to take educational models which work well in some countries and copy them in others without making any alterations? What good are rankings and what shouldn’t we sacrifice for their sake? What gives HSE its competitive edge? Professor Altbach talked about all these issues in an interview with HSE News.
On December 7, the sixth meeting of the HSE International Advisory Committee opened with leading experts from around the world in the field of science and education coming together to discuss the university’s achievements and the challenges it faces, as well as its objectives for the coming years. Following two days of discussions, the committee members will form recommendations on changes to the primary areas of development.
From September 15 to 18, 2015, a delegation from HSE took part in The Annual EAIE Conference for the second time. This year international experts in higher education gathered in Glasgow.
On September 7-9 The Annual Conference of The Consortium of higher education Researchers / CHER 28th Annual Conference took place in Lisbon, Portugal. This year’s theme was ‘Global Challenges, National Initiatives, and Institutional Responses – The Transformation of Higher Education’. The participants discussed recent transformations in higher education: what global challenges the universities face and how to cope with these challenges.
The Book Market, Finance and Reasons for Self-Medication: What People are Studying at the Summer School on Institutional Analysis
In the Moscow Region, the ninth Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA) was held recently, bringing together 26 young researchers from Italy, Montenegro, the Philippines, Macedonia, Great Britain, Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Russia. During the programme, they addressed problems concerning the economics of education, financial institutions, the public sector, and the theory of industrial markets.
On June 26, the HSE Academic Council approved the opening of two new international laboratories. Specifically, the St. Petersburg School of Economics and Management will gain a laboratory for the study of healthcare economics, management, and policy, as well as a laboratory for game theory and decision-making. The labs' academic supervisors will be renowned international scholars.
On May 30, the HSE held a conference dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the International Research Laboratory for Institutional Analysis of Economic Reforms (LIA) and the 5th anniversary of the Centre for Institutional Studies (CInSt). Maria Yudkevich, director of the LIA, spoke about how and why the laboratory and centre were established, the research they conduct and what guests experienced at the conference.
HSE is starting a survey of articles and comments made by staff in the foreign press, in blogs and social media. The Office of Public Relations and Online Media will gather the data.
HSE has entered the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2015 in the top 51-100 in Development Studies, and is the only Russian university in this category.
The Higher School of Economics is among the top four universities ranked by the Council on Enhancing the Competitiveness of Russia’s Leading Universities. HSE is the only university participating in the project to have kept its leading position in the ranking. The university’s Vice Rector, Maria Yudkevich, who also presented HSE’s Roadmap at the Council’s meeting in Tomsk, talks about how the university was able to achieve this and describes what HSE has set as its priorities in the next stage of the fight to enter the list of the world’s strongest universities.
In early 2015 Palgrave Macmillan will publish Academic Inbreeding and Mobility in Higher Education based on the results of a joint project by the HSE Centre for Institutional Studies and the Centre for International Higher Education, Boston College. Their conclusions were published in brief in an article on the Times Higher Education website.
Applications continue to be accepted for the Golden HSE, the university’s main prize. We asked those who have either nominated candidates or who have received the award themselves about what it means for them personally and for the university.
On October 16-18, the 5th International Conference of the Russian Association of Higher Education Researchers took place at the Higher School of Economics. The theme of this year's conference was 'Managing Differentiation in Rapidly Changing Higher Education Systems: Challenges and Opportunities.'
Is the number of minutes each participant of the 8th Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis had to present their research project.
Between June 28 and July 4, the Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA 2014) took place near Moscow (RSSIA2014). Aside from the theoretical and practical aspects of institutional economics, also discussed were issues related to the development and presentation of academic research.
For the first time at HSE’s St. Petersburg campus, the annual meeting of HSE’s International Advisory Committee (IAC) took place on May 23-24. As is tradition, the discussion focused mainly on the HSE’s development as an international university.
At a meeting of HSE’s Academic Council on May 30, Evgeny Yasin was reelected as the university’s academic supervisor, and Alexander Shokhin — as HSE’s president.
On March 13, 2014, the HSE Center for Institutional Studies held a seminar to discuss the role of the joint comparative studies being carried out by universities in various countries to measure national systems of higher education. Philip Altbach, Research Professor and Director of the Center for International Higher Education at Boston College, USA, took part. Later, in an interview for the HSE News Service, he shared his experiences conducting joint research with Russian universities.
On March 14, 2014, the HSE is running a workshop ‘Biology and Behaviour in a Political Economy’. John Nye, Academic Supervisor at the International Laboratory for Institutional Analysis of Economic Reforms, HSE which is organising the workshop, spoke to the HSE English-language News Portal about working at the HSE in this research area.
Starting this year, the HSE is publishing a Russian-language version of ‘International Higher Education’ – a quarterly published by Boston College, USA.
On February 28, 2014, the HSE Academic Council approved the creation of a number of new international laboratories at the university.
On January 31, 2014, at the HSE, the first meeting took place of university representatives participating in the global competitiveness programme 5/100. The group discussed the problems of recruiting lecturers from the international labour market.
On October 23rd 2012, the latest in a series of regular seminars ‘Topical research and development in education’ took place at the HSE Institute for Educational Studies. Martin Finkelstein, Professor at Seton Hall University (USA), spoke on ‘How the national context influences professors’ academic achievements and careers: a comparative analysis’.
From October 18th – 20th the annual Russian Association of Higher Education Researchers conference on ‘ The Birth and Rebirth of Universities’ will take place at the HSE. A seminar for heads of young international universities will take place as part of the conference.
On May 30th the third annual meeting of the Higher School of Economics International Advisory Committee (IAC) opened at the HSE.
For over a year now John Nye, professor of George Mason University (USA), has been heading the HSE International Laboratory of Institutional Analysis of Economic Reforms. During his most recent visit to Moscow, Professor Nye told the HSE reporter about how the laboratory’s work is organized and what staff it needs, as well as about its research and new courses, some of which will be launched in May.
On October 28th and 29th the 2nd International Conference of Higher Education Researchers ‘Universities and State’ took place at the Higher School of Economics. The event was organized by the Russian Association for Tertiary Education Research with the support of the HSE.
On September 26th a meeting between the administration of the Higher School of Economics and international lecturers and researchers took place at the HSE. The aim of the event was to discuss various organizational, legal and academic aspects of their work at the HSE.
In late 2010 – early 2011 international research laboratories which are jointly headed by prominent international researchers and leading experts of the university started their work at the Higher School of Economics. Maria Yudkevich, HSE Vice Rector, told us about the specifics of the research and educational work of the HSE international laboratories.
On May 30th a meeting of the International Advisory Committee of the HSE Development Programme took place at the HSE. The committee was formed in early 2010 and this was its first full assembly.