Maria M. Yudkevich
- Vice Rector
- Director:Center for Institutional Studies
- Laboratory Head:Center for Institutional Studies / International Research Laboratory for Institutional Analysis of Economic Reforms
- Associate Professor:Faculty of Economic Sciences / Department of Applied Economics
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Maria M. Yudkevich has been at HSE since 1998.
- Supervising fundamental research activities at HSE
- Supervising the University’s academic development
- Organizing activities as part of the HSE Academic Fund Programme
- Coordinating and supervising fundamental research activities performed by HSE’s faculties and regional campuses
- Developing and implementing mechanisms to attract teaching assistants and involve students in academic activities at HSE laboratories, as well as monitoring these activities
- Organizing activities through HSE’s Young Faculty Support Programme
- Developing tools for the academic development of HSE instructors
- Coordinating and supervising the Research and Teaching and Project-based Learning Laboratories
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
- 2006Associate Professor
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Economic Theory
Higher School of Economics
Master's in Economics
Higher School of Economics
Degree in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Awards and Accomplishments
Student Term / Thesis Papers
E. Kochuxova «Representation of the Professors’ Professionalism: View of the Academic Community and University Administration». Institute of Education, 2019
M. Zavertiaeva «Inbreeding and Productivity in Higher Education: Do Co-Authors Matter?». Institute of Education, 2017
E. Shakina «Individual Research Grants and Academic Productivity». Institute of Education, 2016
A. Shishkov «The Role of Stimulating Teachers in the Transition to Effective Academic Contract». Institute of Education, 2016
M. Xismatullina «Peer-effect in students' online social networks». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2014
- Academic Profession and Academic Contracts (Master’s programme; Institute of Education; programme "Management in Higher Education"; 2 year, 1-3 module)Rus
- Institutional Economics (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Economic Sciences; programme "Economics"; 4 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Institutional Economics (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Economic Sciences; programme "Economics"; 3 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Research Seminar (2d year) (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Economic Sciences; programme "Economics"; 2 year, 1, 3, 4 module)Rus
Editorial board membership
HERB journal is a project implemented as part of cooperation agreement between Higher School of Economics and Boston College Center of International Higher Education. Since 2014 HERB is intended to highlight the transformation process of higher education institutions in Russia and the counties of Eastern Europe and Central Asia. The journal seeks to present multiple-aspect opinions about current challenges and trends of regional higher education and gives examples of the best local practices. Its audience is a wider international community of scholars and professionals in the field of higher education.
2014: Editor-in-chief, Higher Education in Russia and Beyond.
Dissertation for a degree of Candidate of Science
M. M. Yudkevich Издержки измерения и институты рынков доверительных товаров
- Preprint Alipova O., Литвинова Л. И., Lovakov A., Yudkevich M. M. Inbreds And Non-Inbreds Among Russian Academics: Short-Term Similarity And Long-Term Differences In Productivity / National research university Higher School of economics. Series WP BRP "Basic research program". 2018. No. 48EDU2018.
- Chapter Maria Yudkevich. Diversity and uniformity in the structure of Russian postsecondary education, in: Responding to Massification: Differentiation in Postsecondary Education Worldwide / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, H. de Wit. , 2017. P. 110-120.
- Chapter Dokuka S., Valeeva D., Yudkevich M. M. Homophily Evolution in Online Networks: Who is a Good Friend and When?, in: Analysis of Images, Social Networks and Texts. 5th International Conference, AIST 2016, Yekaterinburg, Russia, April 7-9, 2016, Revised Selected Papers. Communications in Computer and Information Science / Ed. by D. I. Ignatov, M. Y. Khachay, V. Labunets, N. V. Loukachevitch, S. I. Nikolenko, A. Panchenko, A. Savchenko, K. V. Vorontsov. Vol. 661. Switzerland : Springer, 2017. doi P. 91-99. doi
- Chapter Yudkevich M. M., Kuskova V. V. International Academic Recruitment in a Turbulent Environment: The Case of the Higher School of Economics in Russia, in: International Faculty in Higher Education. Comparative Perspectives on Recruitment, Integration, and Impact / Ed. by M. M. Yudkevich, L. E. Rumbley, P. G. Altbach. Routledge, 2017. P. 196-220.
- Chapter Yudkevich M. M., Altbach P. G. International Faculty in 21st Century Universities: Themes and Variations, in: International Faculty in Higher Education. Comparative Perspectives on Recruitment, Integration, and Impact / Ed. by M. M. Yudkevich, L. E. Rumbley, P. G. Altbach. Routledge, 2017. P. 1-15.
- Book International Faculty in Higher Education. Comparative Perspectives on Recruitment, Integration, and Impact / Ed. by M. M. Yudkevich, L. E. Rumbley, P. G. Altbach. Routledge, 2017.
- Chapter Yudkevich M. M., Taradina L. Russia: Ranking Fever: Do We Know the Remedy?, in: Global Rankings and the Geopolitics of Higher Education. Understanding the influence and impact of rankings on higher education, policy and society. Routledge, 2017.
- Article Sivak E. V., Yudkevich M. M. The academic profession in Russia’s two capitals: The impact of 20 years of transition // European Educational Research Journal. 2017. Vol. 16. No. 5. P. 626-644. doi
- Article Nye J. V., Bruhanov M., Kochergina E. V., Orel E., Polyachenko S. S., Yudkevich M. M. The effects of prenatal testosterone on wages: Evidence from Russia // Economics and Human Biology. 2017. Vol. 24. P. 43-60. doi
- Book The Global Academic Rankings Game. Changing Institutional Policy, Practice, and Academic Life / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, M. M. Yudkevich, L. E. Rumbley. NY : Routledge, 2016.
- Chapter Yudkevich M. M., Pavlyutkin I. The Impact of University Academic Culture and Leadership on the Symptoms of “Global Ranking Fever”: The Case of One Russian University in a Particular Institutional Context, in: Higher education research in the 21st century series Vol. 9: Global Challenges, National Initiatives, and Institutional Responses. Boston, Rotterdam, Taipei : Sense Publishers, 2016. P. 187-204.
- Chapter Yudkevich M. M., Pavlyutkin I. The Ranking Game on the Russian Battlefield: The Case of the Higher School of Economics, in: The Global Academic Rankings Game. Changing Institutional Policy, Practice, and Academic Life / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, M. M. Yudkevich, L. E. Rumbley. NY : Routledge, 2016. Ch. 9. P. 171-196.
- Article Horta H., Yudkevich M. M. The role of academic inbreeding in developing higher education systems: Challenges and possible solutions // Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 2016. No. 113, Part B. P. 363-372. doi
- Article Poldin O. V., Valeeva D., Yudkevich M. M. Which Peers Matter: How Social Ties Affect Peer-Group Effects // Research in Higher Education. 2016. Vol. 57. No. 4. P. 448-468. doi
- Chapter Maria Yudkevich, Elizaveta Sivak. Academic Immobility and Inbreeding in Russian Universities, in: Academic Inbreeding and Mobility in Higher Education. Global Perspectives / Ed. by Maria Yudkevich, P. G. Altbach, L. E. Rumbley. L. : Palgrave Macmillan, 2015. Ch. 6. P. 130-155.
- Book Academic Inbreeding and Mobility in Higher Education. Global Perspectives / Ed. by Maria Yudkevich, P. G. Altbach, L. E. Rumbley. L. : Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
- Article Altbach P. G., Yudkevich M. M., Rumbley L. E. Academic inbreeding: local challenge, global problem // Asia Pacific Education Review. 2015. Vol. 16. No. 3. P. 317-330. doi
- Chapter Prakhov I. A., Yudkevich M. M. Admission Policy in Contemporary Russia: Recent Changes, Expected Outcomes, and Potential Winners, in: International Perspectives on Higher Education Admission Policy: A Reder. NY : Peter Lang Publishing Inc., 2015. P. 83-100.
- Preprint Poldin O. V., Yudkevich M. M., Simoes T., Knobel M. Estimation of peer effects with predicted social ties: Evidence from two universities in Brazil and Russia / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2015. No. WP BRP 30/EDU/2015.
- Chapter Dokuka S., Valeeva D., Yudkevich M. M. Formation and evolution mechanisms in online network of students: the Vkontakte case, in: Analysis of Images, Social Networks and Texts. 4th International Conference, AIST 2015, Yekaterinburg, Russia, April 9–11, 2015, Revised Selected Papers / Ed. by M. Y. Khachay, N. Konstantinova, A. Panchenko, D. I. Ignatov, V. Labunets. Vol. 542: Series: Communications in Computer and Information Science. Switzerland : Springer, 2015. P. 263-274. doi
- Chapter Finkelstein M., Iglesias K., Panova A. A., Yudkevich M. M. Future Prospects for Young Faculty Across the Academic World: A Global Comparison and Assessment, in: Young faculty in the 21st century: International Perspectives / Ed. by M. M. Yudkevich, P. G. Altbach, L. E. Rumbley. NY, Albany : State University of New York Press, 2015. Ch. 12. P. 321-350.
- Article Yudkevich M. M., Altbach P. G., Rumbley L. E. Global university rankings: The “Olympic Games” of higher education? // PROSPECTS. 2015. P. 1-9. doi (in press)
- Preprint Dokuka S., Valeeva D., Yudkevich M. M. The Diffusion of Academic Achievements: Social Selection and Influence in Student Networks / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2015. No. WP BRP 65/SOC/2015.
- Chapter Yudkevich M. M. The University Sector in Russia: Young Romantics and Losers Welcome?, in: Young faculty in the 21st century: International Perspectives / Ed. by M. M. Yudkevich, P. G. Altbach, L. E. Rumbley. NY, Albany : State University of New York Press, 2015. Ch. 9. P. 227-252.
- Book Young faculty in the 21st century: International Perspectives / Ed. by M. M. Yudkevich, P. G. Altbach, L. E. Rumbley. NY, Albany : State University of New York Press, 2015.
- Preprint Poldin O. V., Valeeva D., Yudkevich M. M. Friendship And Study Assistance Ties Of University Students / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2014. No. WP BRP 37/SOC/2014.
- Article Ampilogov A. I., Prakhov I. A., Yudkevich M. M. One or Many? Using the New Opportunities of the Unified State Exam in Russian University Admissions // Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning. 2014. Vol. 16. No. 1. P. 34-49.
- Preprint Kochergina E. V., Nye J. V., Yudkevich M. M., Orel E. The Effects Of Prenatal Testosterone On Adult Wages: Evidence From Russian Rlms Data And Measured 2d:4d Digit Ratios / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Economics/EC". 2014. No. 71.
- Article Yudkevich M. M. The Russian University: recovery and rehabilitation // Studies in Higher Education. 2014. Vol. 39. No. 8. P. 1463-1474. doi
- Preprint Poldin O. V., Valeeva D., Yudkevich M. M. How social ties affect peer-group effects: a case of university students / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2013. No. 15/SOC/2013.
- Article Yudkevich M. M. Leading Universities in Russia: From teaChing to Research Excellence // Journal of International Higher Education. 2013. Vol. 6. No. 3. P. 113-116.
- Preprint Ampilogov A. I., Prakhov I. A., Yudkevich M. M. One or Many? Using the New Opportunities of the Unified State Exam in Russian University Admissions / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2013. No. 12.
- Article Androuschak G. V., Poldin O. V., Yudkevich M. M. Role of peers in student academic achievement in exogenously formed university groups // Educational Studies. 2013. Vol. 39. No. 5. P. 568-581. doi
- Book The Global Future of Higher Education and the Academic Profession: The BRICs and the United States / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. V. Androuschak, Y. I. Kuzminov. Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Article Nye J. V., Androuschak G. V., Desierto D., Jones G., Yudkevich M. M. 2D:4D Asymmetry and Gender Differences in Academic Performance // Plos One. 2012. No. 7(10) doi
- Article Androuschak G. V., Yudkevich M. M. How Post-Soviet Russian Academia Struggles with the Past // International Higher Education. 2012. No. 69. P. 23-25.
- Book Paying the Professoriate: A Global Comparison of Compensation and Contracts / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. V. Androuschak, I. Pacheco. L. : Routledge, 2012.
- Preprint Androushchak G., Poldin O. V., Yudkevich M. M. Peer Effects in Exogenously Formed University Student Groups / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2012. No. 03.
- Chapter Androuschak G. V., Yudkevich M. M. Quantitative Analysis: Looking for Commonalities in a Sea of Differences, in: Paying the Professoriate: A Global Comparison of Compensation and Contracts / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. V. Androuschak, I. Pacheco. L. : Routledge, 2012. Ch. 2. P. 21-34.
- Preprint Prakhov I. A., Yudkevich M. M. University Admission In Russia: Do the Wealthier Benefit from Standardized Exams? / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2012. No. 04.
- Preprint Nye J. V., Androuschak G. V., Desierto D., Jones G., Yudkevich M. M. What Determines Trust? Human Capital vs. Social Institutions: Evidence from Manila and Moscow / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EC "Economics". 2012. No. 18.
- Preprint Kuzminov Y. I., Yudkevich M. M. Academic Freedom and University Standards for Teaching and Research / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP10 "Научные доклады Института институциональных исследований". 2007. No. 01.
- Book Khovanskaya I. A., Sonin K., Yudkevich M. M. Budget Uncertainty and Faculty Contracts: A Dynamic Framework for Comparative Analysis Vol. 112. Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR), 2007.
- Preprint Khovanskaya I. A., Sonin K., Yudkevich M. M. Budget Uncertainty and Faculty Contracts: A Dynamic Framework for Comparative Analysis / Центр экономических и финансовых исследований и разработок в российской экономической школе, Российская экономическая школа. Series "CEFIR / NES Working Paper". 2007. No. 112.
- Preprint Dodlova M. C., Yudkevich M. M. Sustaining Efficient Bureaucracies: What Does Gift Exchange Theory Say? / Italian Society of Law and Economic. Series "SIDE Working Papers". 2007. No. -.
- Book Юдкевич М. М. Professor - University Relationships: Incentives for Investment in Joint Future. М. : Издательский дом ГУ-ВШЭ, 2005.
- Preprint Yudkevich M. M. Professor — University Relationships: Incentives for Investment in Joint Future / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP10 "Научные доклады Института институциональных исследований". 2005. No. 05.
- 2017The 30th Annual Consortium of Higher Education Researchers (CHER) conference (Йювяскюля (Финляндия)). Presentation: Publication Activities of Russian Universities: The Effects of Project 5–100
- Research Seminar at the Department of Economics and Management of the University of Padova (Падуя). Presentation: Comparing Effects of Two Alternative Financial Aid Policies on Students Academic Achievement in a Russian University
- 2016Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA 2016) (Москва). Presentation: Does Financial Aid Design Matter for Student Academic Achievement?
- 41st annual ASHE (Association for Study of Higher Education) Conference (Columbus, Ohio). Presentation: Comparing Effects of Two Alternative Financial Aid Policies on Students Academic Achievement in a Russian University
- 86th Annual SEA (Southern Economic Association) Conference (Washington, D.C.). Presentation: Estimation of Peer Effects with Predicted Social Ties: Evidence from Two Universities in Brazil and Moscow
- 29th Annual Conference of the Consortium of Higher Education Researchers (CHER 2016) (Cambridge, UK). Presentation: Are Weak Academic Participation and Strong Vertical Control Good Ingredients for Optimal University Governance Model? Case of Russian University
- 2015CHER 28th Annual Conference - Global Challenges, National Initiatives, and Institutional Responses – The Transformation of Higher Education (Лиссабон). Presentation: The Impact of University Academic Culture on the Symptoms of "Global Ranking Fever": The Case of One Russian University
- The 27th Annual European Association for International Education (EAIE) Conference (Glasgow). Presentation: The Global Academic Rankings Game: Implications for Internationalization
- International Conference on Applied Research in Economics 2015 ( iCare 3) (Пермь). Presentation: Pay for Progress or Pay in Advance: Impact of Financial Aid on University Student Achievements
- Workshop on National Higher Education Systems and Academic Career Pathways (São Paulo). Presentation: The Role of National Context in Understanding Higher Education Landscape: Case of Russia
- International Conference on World-Class Universities (WCU-6) (Shanghai). Presentation: Global Visibility and Local Engagement: Can They Go Together? The Case of Higher School of Economics, Russia
- International conference organized by Dalian University of Technology and Chinese Society of Higher Education Research (Dalian). Presentation: University Governance: Regulating and Supervising Mechanisms of Powers
- 2014"Universities in transition: shifting institutional and organizational boundaries", CHER 27th Annual Conference (Рим). Presentation: The Changing Relationship between Academics, their Institutions and the State: Western Europe and North America
- "Europe in the world. Higher education developments across the globe", ACA Annual Conference 2014 (Бордо). Presentation: Russia: Internalisation all over?
- The Economics of Study Choices (Цюрих). Presentation: Social Networks and the Choice of Specialization
In last days of July the Russian government was discussing a bill to increase the period of graduate study from 3 to 4 years. The project proposes to amend the federal law “On Higher and Postgraduate Professional Education”, in regard to training for a number of technical and natural sciences industries. Proponents justify the proposal by the fact that a number of disciplines (particularly in technical and natural sciences) require mandatory experimental validation of the theoretical results. Also, an additional year of postgraduate studies may increase the likelihood that students will create experimental equipment and/or use it for implementing research findings into industrial practice.
HSE staff members were awarded honour awards of the university at the meeting of the Academic Council that was held on December 21.
On November 26, the HSE Faculty of Computer Science held the ‘IT Girls Night’ for the fifth time. This year the event was organized within the University of London’s campaign ‘Worldwide Conversation on Women’s Higher Education and Equality in the Workplace’. This campaign celebrates 150 years since the University of London opened up its ‘Special Examinations for Women’, the first university-level examinations offered for women in the UK. Ten years later, this step led to the University of London becoming the first institution of higher education in the UK to open up full degrees for women.
The winners are 16 staff members in seven ‘golden’ categories and 21 students in the ‘Silver Nestling’ category. The winners of the ‘Golden Reference’, which is awarded to the most cited HSE scholar, have also been announced. The awards ceremony was held on November 27, on the HSE's birthday.
From October 26-27, a regular meeting of the Russian Academic Excellence Project 5-100 was held in Kaliningrad. The academic institutions involved in the project presented the results of their work and plans for the upcoming period of their respective roadmaps.
From October 24-25, the IX International Russian Higher Education Conference ‘Universities in Search of a Balance between New and Familiar Goals’ took place at HSE. Participants discussed issues concerning educational policies, including internationalization of education, bridging the gap between schools, universities and labour markets, as well as changes in the academic profession.
On September 11, Ivan Smirnov, graduate of the HSE Institute of Education doctoral programme, defended his Candidate of Sciences (Education) on ‘Differentiation of students by academic performance in a social network’. His thesis consists of four articles which had been published in academic journals, as well as a description of the study methods, design and main outcomes.
The Higher School of Economics (HSE) has entered the Top-100 in Sociology and Mathematics of the Shanghai Ranking (ARWU). It is also now the leader on this ranking among Russian universities in Economics, Political Science and Management.
The Higher School of Economics (HSE) has entered the Top-100 in Sociology and Mathematics of the Shanghai Ranking. It is also now the leader on this ranking among Russian universities in Economics, Political Science and Management.
Hardly anyone is unaware that several dozen research and teaching labs are active at HSE, where students making their first steps in academia work together with experienced researchers. Today, HSE is announcing a competition for new research and teaching laboratories as part of the Moscow campus faculties.
On February 12, the winners of the Student Research Paper Competition were announced. Not only did they receive prizes, but also had the opportunity to put some thought-provoking questions to the university administration. We’ve selected five questions which we consider highly relevant to researchers at HSE and internationally, and the responses are below.
Every summer since 2007, the Center for Institutional Studies at the National Research University Higher School of Economics has been organizing the annual Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA). Students and researchers from around the world convene in Moscow to enjoy a whole week of lectures and consultations, presentations, discussions and networking, as well as the opportunity to be inspired by the experts.
On its 25th anniversary, HSE has published a book - Other Cities - a collection of stories by the University’s staff about over 80 cities throughout Russia and the rest of the world, where the authors used to live and work, and which directly contributed to their personal and academic paths. The book won’t be on sale, but we will give it to you by making a donation to a hospice.
The first student contest in game theory has taken place at HSE. Organized by the HSE Group of Young Academic Professionals, it brought together 150 undergraduate and Master’s students from 17 Russian universities, as well as one high school student from Moscow.
The Higher School of Economics was recognized as a leader among Project 5-100 universities following a recent session held by the Council on Competitiveness Enhancement of Leading Russian Universities among Global Research and Education Centers. The session took place in Yekaterinburg on October 27-28 and was chaired by Olga Golodets, Deputy Prime Minister of Russia.
In the latest Times Higher Education university rankings, the Higher School of Economics rose to the 351-400 category among 1,102 schools worldwide. This is an improvement on last year, when HSE was in the 401-500 group, with the university ranking fourth among the 27 Russian universities that made it to the ranking.
Bayesian Methods in Deep Learning Summer School was held in Moscow fron 26 to 30 August. During these five days 96 participants from 8 countries listened to lectures about Bayesian methods in deep learning and trained neural networks.
The first official fun-run organized by HSE as part of events to mark the 25th anniversary of its founding has taken place in Gorky Park. It drew 290 participants.
Run √25, the first fun run organized by HSE, will take place on May 28 at Gorky Park. Our University is now 25 years old, and we’ll run 5 km together to celebrate this anniversary (or rather, our ‘anti-versary’) - along Pushkinskaya Naberezhnaya and Andreevskaya Naberezhnaya, from the Green Theatre to Luzhnetsky Bridge, and back again. Think of it as running from the darkness of ignorance, unbelievable stupidity, and bad grades as fast as we can!
Students and doctoral students of the HSE Faculty of Computer Science will have the opportunity to take part in exchange and double degree programmes.
A recent paper by IOE expert Elizaveta Sivak and HSE vice rector Maria Yudkevich has been published in European Educational Research Journal.
Faculty of Economic Sciences' undergraduates and graduate students to participate in exchange and dual degree programs
The meeting of International Advisory Committee starts December 6. Three newly appointed members of IAC have shared with HSE News Service their views on the role of external consultants in the development of universities, described their reasons for joining the committee and spoke about HSE’s academic reputation and the challenges the university faces.
From July 2 – 7, 2016, the 10th Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA) took place just outside of Moscow. This event traditionally attracts experts in various areas of institutional research, as well as young researchers, for whom the School is a chance to work on projects under the supervision of leading scholars.
In January 2016, six university research centres representing countries in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa came together to form an international consortium whose main objective is to develop a strategy for carrying out comparative higher education research in various regions around the world.
Academic and expert in the field of international higher education, Philip Altbach has been made Honorary Professor in a ceremony at HSE. Altbach began to study education in his youth because he believed it was a key factor to bring about change in society. Is it possible to take educational models which work well in some countries and copy them in others without making any alterations? What good are rankings and what shouldn’t we sacrifice for their sake? What gives HSE its competitive edge? Professor Altbach talked about all these issues in an interview with HSE News.
On December 7, the sixth meeting of the HSE International Advisory Committee opened with leading experts from around the world in the field of science and education coming together to discuss the university’s achievements and the challenges it faces, as well as its objectives for the coming years. Following two days of discussions, the committee members will form recommendations on changes to the primary areas of development.
From September 15 to 18, 2015, a delegation from HSE took part in The Annual EAIE Conference for the second time. This year international experts in higher education gathered in Glasgow.
On September 7-9 The Annual Conference of The Consortium of higher education Researchers / CHER 28th Annual Conference took place in Lisbon, Portugal. This year’s theme was ‘Global Challenges, National Initiatives, and Institutional Responses – The Transformation of Higher Education’. The participants discussed recent transformations in higher education: what global challenges the universities face and how to cope with these challenges.
The Book Market, Finance and Reasons for Self-Medication: What People are Studying at the Summer School on Institutional Analysis
In the Moscow Region, the ninth Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA) was held recently, bringing together 26 young researchers from Italy, Montenegro, the Philippines, Macedonia, Great Britain, Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Russia. During the programme, they addressed problems concerning the economics of education, financial institutions, the public sector, and the theory of industrial markets.
On June 26, the HSE Academic Council approved the opening of two new international laboratories. Specifically, the St. Petersburg School of Economics and Management will gain a laboratory for the study of healthcare economics, management, and policy, as well as a laboratory for game theory and decision-making. The labs' academic supervisors will be renowned international scholars.
On May 30, the HSE held a conference dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the International Research Laboratory for Institutional Analysis of Economic Reforms (LIA) and the 5th anniversary of the Centre for Institutional Studies (CInSt). Maria Yudkevich, director of the LIA, spoke about how and why the laboratory and centre were established, the research they conduct and what guests experienced at the conference.
HSE is starting a survey of articles and comments made by staff in the foreign press, in blogs and social media. The Office of Public Relations and Online Media will gather the data.
HSE has entered the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2015 in the top 51-100 in Development Studies, and is the only Russian university in this category.
The Higher School of Economics is among the top four universities ranked by the Council on Enhancing the Competitiveness of Russia’s Leading Universities. HSE is the only university participating in the project to have kept its leading position in the ranking. The university’s Vice Rector, Maria Yudkevich, who also presented HSE’s Roadmap at the Council’s meeting in Tomsk, talks about how the university was able to achieve this and describes what HSE has set as its priorities in the next stage of the fight to enter the list of the world’s strongest universities.
In early 2015 Palgrave Macmillan will publish Academic Inbreeding and Mobility in Higher Education based on the results of a joint project by the HSE Centre for Institutional Studies and the Centre for International Higher Education, Boston College. Their conclusions were published in brief in an article on the Times Higher Education website.
Applications continue to be accepted for the Golden HSE, the university’s main prize. We asked those who have either nominated candidates or who have received the award themselves about what it means for them personally and for the university.
On October 16-18, the 5th International Conference of the Russian Association of Higher Education Researchers took place at the Higher School of Economics. The theme of this year's conference was 'Managing Differentiation in Rapidly Changing Higher Education Systems: Challenges and Opportunities.'
Is the number of minutes each participant of the 8th Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis had to present their research project.
Between June 28 and July 4, the Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA 2014) took place near Moscow (RSSIA2014). Aside from the theoretical and practical aspects of institutional economics, also discussed were issues related to the development and presentation of academic research.
For the first time at HSE’s St. Petersburg campus, the annual meeting of HSE’s International Advisory Committee (IAC) took place on May 23-24. As is tradition, the discussion focused mainly on the HSE’s development as an international university.
At a meeting of HSE’s Academic Council on May 30, Evgeny Yasin was reelected as the university’s academic supervisor, and Alexander Shokhin — as HSE’s president.
On March 13, 2014, the HSE Center for Institutional Studies held a seminar to discuss the role of the joint comparative studies being carried out by universities in various countries to measure national systems of higher education. Philip Altbach, Research Professor and Director of the Center for International Higher Education at Boston College, USA, took part. Later, in an interview for the HSE News Service, he shared his experiences conducting joint research with Russian universities.
On March 14, 2014, the HSE is running a workshop ‘Biology and Behaviour in a Political Economy’. John Nye, Academic Supervisor at the International Laboratory for Institutional Analysis of Economic Reforms, HSE which is organising the workshop, spoke to the HSE English-language News Portal about working at the HSE in this research area.
Starting this year, the HSE is publishing a Russian-language version of ‘International Higher Education’ – a quarterly published by Boston College, USA.
On February 28, 2014, the HSE Academic Council approved the creation of a number of new international laboratories at the university.
On January 31, 2014, at the HSE, the first meeting took place of university representatives participating in the global competitiveness programme 5/100. The group discussed the problems of recruiting lecturers from the international labour market.
On October 23rd 2012, the latest in a series of regular seminars ‘Topical research and development in education’ took place at the HSE Institute for Educational Studies. Martin Finkelstein, Professor at Seton Hall University (USA), spoke on ‘How the national context influences professors’ academic achievements and careers: a comparative analysis’.
From October 18th – 20th the annual Russian Association of Higher Education Researchers conference on ‘ The Birth and Rebirth of Universities’ will take place at the HSE. A seminar for heads of young international universities will take place as part of the conference.
On May 30th the third annual meeting of the Higher School of Economics International Advisory Committee (IAC) opened at the HSE.
For over a year now John Nye, professor of George Mason University (USA), has been heading the HSE International Laboratory of Institutional Analysis of Economic Reforms. During his most recent visit to Moscow, Professor Nye told the HSE reporter about how the laboratory’s work is organized and what staff it needs, as well as about its research and new courses, some of which will be launched in May.
On October 28th and 29th the 2nd International Conference of Higher Education Researchers ‘Universities and State’ took place at the Higher School of Economics. The event was organized by the Russian Association for Tertiary Education Research with the support of the HSE.
On September 26th a meeting between the administration of the Higher School of Economics and international lecturers and researchers took place at the HSE. The aim of the event was to discuss various organizational, legal and academic aspects of their work at the HSE.
In late 2010 – early 2011 international research laboratories which are jointly headed by prominent international researchers and leading experts of the university started their work at the Higher School of Economics. Maria Yudkevich, HSE Vice Rector, told us about the specifics of the research and educational work of the HSE international laboratories.
On May 30th a meeting of the International Advisory Committee of the HSE Development Programme took place at the HSE. The committee was formed in early 2010 and this was its first full assembly.