HSE University Newsletter
Dear partners and friends,
We are pleased to present you the new edition of the HSE University Newsletter to share the most exciting education and science news of Winter 2020 with you, and update you on the HSE University Policies regarding Covid-19.
We are open to your feedback on the topics to address in the future HSE University Newsletters, and to receiving more news and magazines from your universities. And we are always glad to receive our partner’ newsletters which we used to study with the utmost attention and bring them to the attention of HSE University’s community through the International Partnerships website.
We strongly believe that each of our partnerships gives us valuable opportunities and enriches our knowledge, and look forward to further development of our cooperation.
Ivan Prostakov, HSE University Vice Rector
HSE University Policies regarding Covid-19
Dear HSE University Partners and Friends,
As the situation with COVID-19 is affecting more and more people daily in different countries, we would like to inform you of the measures taken by HSE University to ensure safety of all students and staff at our campuses.
Recognising the rapidly spreading hazard posed by COVID-19, and in accordance with the instructions from the Russian Ministry of Education and Science, the Ministry of Health, the Federal Service for Surveillance of Consumer Rights Protection and Human Wellbeing (Rospotrebnadzor) and Moscow authorities, our university is currently putting on hold and looking for ways to postpone all incoming and outgoing international mobility.
We are hoping for your support and willingness to work together with us on the ways in which we can make changes to the already-scheduled visits and mobility plans, so as to resume mobility at a later date when the situation would not put students and staff at great risk.
You might know that several cases of coronavirus have been detected in Russian Federation but none of them on our campuses. Consequently, classes at all locations are maintained and university facilities remain open, and we will keep the students and partners informed of any developments.
As far as specific measures concerning mobility and travel are concerned, HSE University has adopted the following policies based on the above-mentioned governmental guidelines:
Student and Staff mobility
- All work-related or study-related international trips for HSE employees and students have been cancelled until further notice. Staff and students are strongly recommended to cancel their private visits to any foreign countries.
- HSE University employees and students (including mobility students from partner universities) returning from the most affected countries should self-isolate at home for 14 days, i.e. refrain from attending work or classes and minimize visits to public places. Studies for the self-isolated students are arranged individually using on-line tools. As of March 6, the official list of most affected countries includes China, South Korea, Iran, Italy, France, Germany, Spain, the USA, Norway, Great Britain, and Switzerland, but can be updated by the government as the situation develops.
- HSE University students who are now on their mobility abroad are recommended to follow the instructions of the host university. In case they decide to stop their mobilities and return to HSE University they are given clear instructions of their further actions.
- Incoming short-term mobility students are strongly recommended to postpone their visits until the situation becomes less hazardous.
Events and visits
- International events are being postponed or are changing their format based on the sense of responsibility and respect to our international partners and HSE University community.
- Incoming international mobility of scholars and administrative staff from the most affected countries should be amended to include the 14-day self-isolation period upon arrival to Russian Federation or postponed until the situation becomes less hazardous.
All staff and students are provided with the necessary information and contact details of HSE University personnel who are in charge.
If you would like to inquire about the arrangements for specific students, please, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Similarly, if you need to discuss with us the change of plans for upcoming visits of faculty and staff (including Erasmus+ visits), please, write to us at email@example.com
We hope for your understanding in the face of the disruptions to international academic mobility brought on by the global coronavirus health crisis, and hope that it will be resolved soon. Although some mobilities and events have been postponed, we continue to stay in contact and are open to discussing ways of expanding our cooperation.
We thank you for updating us on the situation at your universities, and hope for your understanding in the face of this global crisis. We remain at your disposal for any further questions.
Vice-Rector for International Relations
HSE University Development Programme for 2030 approved
On January 24, the HSE Academic Council approved the new University Development Programme for 2030, which the Council had been drafting for the past year. Members of the Academic Council also discussed the status of the university’s digital transformation..
HSE Outranks Russian Universities in 10 QS Subject Rankings
HSE University has made the 2020 QS World University Rankings by Subject in 23 broad and specific subject areas, which is four more than last year. HSE now ranks in 19 of the 38 subject rankings in which Russian universities are represented, as well as in four out of five broad subject areas. HSE has entered the list of the world’s top 100 universities in five subjects, including History and Social Policy & Administration, where it has ranked for the first time.
HSE Launches New International Laboratories
For ten years now, HSE has been holding an annual grant competition for researchers who wish to start new international laboratories at HSE in collaboration with leading foreign scholars and scientists. The most recent competition reached its conclusion this past November, and now some of the selected proposed labs have already begun operation. Who are the competition winners and what kind of research will they be doing?
Ambassadors and Embassy Representatives Gather for HSE University Day for Diplomatic Missions
New Video Showcases HSE University’s Bright Academic and Student Community
The HSE University community is multinational and multicultural, representing over 90 countries on its four campuses. University faculty, researchers, students, and alumni are dedicated to maintaining the highest standards of education. HSE University is an international university that ranks among the top 100 institutions worldwide in subjects such as Politics & International Studies, Sociology, and Economics & Econometrics in the QS World University Rankings by Subject. Working or studying at HSE gives faculty members and students alike the opportunity to experience Russia at its best.
HSE offers 8 bachelor’s programmes and 40 master’s programmes that are taught entirely in English, in addition to an online English-taught degree programme in Data Science. International English-speaking students therefore easily become part of the HSE community.
The video, created by the Office of Public Relations and the International Student Recruitment Centre, features HSE University international students and its various faculties and provides a brief introduction to Moscow. Shots of various metro stations, Gorky Park, and new art places all serve to convey the essence of everyday Moscow city life.
Explore more about HSE University
Study at HSE
Facts and Figures
HSE Tailored Courses & Training Programmes (April 2019)
HSE Non-Degree Programmes
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.