International Business Research
- To provide students with a critical overview of the major theoretical approaches in the international business research literature and practical applications of theoretical aspects
- To introduce students to a broad range of debates, perspectives and recent international evidence on the alternative means of thinking about international business
- To make students aware of the major international business research schools, centers and associations
- To give students a close look at the evolution and key areas of international business research focus
- To review new directions in international business research and crucial recent research issues
- To brief students with the methodological design of the international business research and peculiarities of qualitative and quantitative methods of research in the area of international business.
- Know the main standards of research and basic definitions of international business research
- know the major theoretical approaches in the international business research literature, basic classical and contemporary international business research models and concepts
- know the evolution of the international business research schools and the newest research findings and outcomes
- know the methods of IB research
- learn about the features of qualitative and quantitative methods
- Know theories of international investment
- International Business Research OverviewThe main strands of research in the international business literature. Basic definitions in international business research.
- Major International Business Research Schools, Centers and AssociationsThe systematization of international business research schools. Centers for international business education and research. The role of the International Business associations in the development of international business research. The Academy of International Business (AIB). European International Business Academy (EIBA).
- Evolution of international business researchClassification of international business research approaches and concepts. Classical, contemporary and newest research concepts and models, their main features and relationships.
- Contemporary international business research issuesVernon’s research on international product life cycle. Krugman’s economy of scale and imperfect competition and the theory of multinational enterprise. Porter’s competitive advantages on nations. Monopolistic advantage theory by Kindleberger and Hymer. Product and factor market imperfections by Richard Caves. Knickerbocker’s follow-the-leader theory. Transaction cost approach to internationalization (internalization) by Buckley and Casson. The Uppsala internationalization process model and its extensions. Dunning’s eclectic theory of international production.
- New directions in international business researchNewest theories of international investment. International New Ventures (INVs) (global start-ups) by Oviatt and McDougal.
- Methodological design of international business researchMethods of international business research. Multidisciplinary approach in the international business research. Features of qualitative and quantitative methods as parts of the research design. Main types of qualitative data collection and analysis. Theory testing. Mixed methods. Goals of the research. Data gathering instruments.
- International Business Handbook (RLE International Business) Kirpalani, V. H. Routledge 2012
- The Growth of International Business (RLE International Business) CASSON, Mark Routledge 2012
- The Multinational Enterprise (RLE International Business) Dunning, John H. Routledge 2012
- John Cantwell, John H Dunning, & Sarianna M Lundan. (2010). An evolutionary approach to understanding international business activity: The co-evolution of MNEs and the institutional environment. Journal of International Business Studies, (4), 567. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsrep&AN=edsrep.a.pal.jintbs.v41y2010i4p567.586