Project seminar 2 "Working in a business simulator"
- Introduce a set of concepts and applied tools that will enable students to analyze, develop and implement innovative marketing strategies.
- Better understanding of the firm relation to its environment including customers, competitors and other external forces.
- Assess marketing strategies based on market share, growth and profitability
- Develop understanding of marketing strategy necessary to achieve sustainable competitive advantages.
- Blue Ocean StrategyIn this topic we discuss Blue Ocean strategy concept and the new approach to competition. Players of the simulation will need to apply BOS principles based on the information provided to them within the simulation as well as their general business acumen. The data about the markets and competitors in the simulation is deliberately different to that in the real world.
- SPI indexCourse participation requires that every student uses her own BOSS access credentials. You may discuss your team strategy as a group but every student must access market and company data directly to insure proper contribution.
- Decision updatesYou need to send executive update to the Board of your company. One of the team members is selected as team leader to compile and send this update after the decisions were discussed in the team. Format: text document (2 page max), must have a title page (not included in 2 max) and proper formatting. Deadline: same as the decision rounds.
- Firm reportThis is a written document that is submitted by the team after the end of the simulation. In this document the team highlights its initial strategy, key changes to this strategy, key drivers of the changes implemented and assessment of the final position of the firm.
- ExamExam includes several multiple choice and open questions on the Blue Ocean Strategy concept and firm performance during the simulation.
- Interim assessment (2 module)0.2 * Decision updates + 0.3 * Exam + 0.25 * Firm report + 0.25 * SPI index
- Kim, W. C., & Mauborgne, R. (2015). Blue Ocean Strategy, Expanded Edition : How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant: Vol. Expanded edition. Harvard Business Review Press.
- Carpenter, G. S., & Shankar, V. (2012). Handbook of Marketing Strategy. Edward Elgar Publishing.