Theoretical Models and Methods in Language Description
- There are two themes in focus: 1) formal syntax and explanation of ellipsis, 2) corpus linguistics
- The course is not for beginners. it reqiires basic knowledge of linguistic theory.
- This course helps the students develop their research skills. They become familiar with new research methods they may apply in their future carear.
- The students are able to reproduse the main ideas of formal approach to ellipsis.
- The students are able to interpret syntactic tree parsing with ellipsis.
- The students are able to explain ellipsis using contemporary formal approaches.
- The students are able to name no less than 5 corpora.
- The students are able to find data in question using at least one corpus using relevant queries.
- The students are able to yield statistic data from corpora and evaluate them.
- quizthere are several quizez during the syntactical pert of the course
- quizThe students may repass all the quizez and homeworks no later than 7 days before session. The tasks are the same.
- Interim assessment (3 module)0.2 * quiz + 0.2 * quiz + 0.2 * quiz + 0.2 * quiz + 0.2 * quiz
- McEnery, T., & Hardie, A. (2012). Corpus Linguistics : Method, Theory and Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=408835
- BIBER, D., CONRAD, S., & REPPEN, R. (1994). Corpus-based Approaches to Issues in Applied Linguistics. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsbas&AN=edsbas.562A0C90