Functional Approaches to Natural Language
- to introduce students to theoretical apparatus, key notions, history, heritage and main principles of functional and cognitive linguistics, the form vs. function controversy in modern linguistics
- to introduce students to the mainstream branches and schools of functional and cognitive linguistics
- to introduce students to methodological aspects of functional and cognitive linguistics
- to introduce students to critical thinking and reasoning within and outside cognitive linguistics
- to introduce students to the most salient papers (in English) on various aspects of functional and cognitive linguistics
- understands the subject of cognitive linguistics, its fields, connections with other (cognitive) sciences
- understands main conceptions of the most significant scientific cognitive linguistics schools
- is able to understand, interpret and discuss papers (in English) on various aspects of functional and cognitive linguistics
- is able to collect empirical data and apply methodological principles to various theoretical tasks
- is able to make empirical observations and theoretical generalizations
- IntroductionFunctionalism and formalism as two main approaches in modern linguistics. FL and CL in the context of main trends in modern linguistics (structuralism, cognitive grammar, generative grammar) and their brief overview. Interaction between language and cognition as a fundamental principle of CL. History of FL and CL.
- Main principles of CLEvolution of the main theoretical notions of FL and CL: walkthrough past and modern theories. Principal role of semantics in CL.
- Methodological issuesBasic methods of collecting empirical data in general linguistics and in CL: introspection, observation (that leads to corpus research), and experiment (that leads to experimental linguistics). Experimental linguistics and CL. Corpus linguistics and CL. Role of statistics in corpus linguistics and in CL.
- Cognitive Models of Language AcquisitionModels of language learning (L1 and L2). Heritage speakers. Learner Corpora.
- Beyond (spoken) languageSign language and sign languages. Co-speech gesticulation. Nonverbal communication and multimodal approach to language. Human language and animal communication.
- Essay 1
- Essay 2
- Oral presentationGroup home assignment: reading and presenting a paper or a case-study in a small group
- Class participationDiscussing problematic issues in class
- Interim assessment (2 module)0.2 * Class participation + 0.3 * Essay 1 + 0.3 * Essay 2 + 0.2 * Oral presentation
- Dąbrowska, E., & Divjak, D. (2015). Handbook of Cognitive Linguistics. Berlin: De Gruyter Mouton. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=nlebk&AN=1000461
- Evans, V. Cognitive Linguistics: An Introduction / Vyvyan Evans, Melanie Green. - Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2006. – 830 p. – ISBN 9780748618323. – Текст: электронный // DB Proquest Ebook Central (ebrary) [сайт]. - URL: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-