International conference for young scholars in History «Usable Pasts»
History undergraduate and graduate students are welcome to submit paper proposals for the International History Student Conference ‘Usable Pasts’, organized by Department of History, National Research University Higher School of Economics, Saint Petersburg. It is a part of International Students Forum to be held in NRU HSE, Saint Petersburg on 4-5 February 2016
The conference aims at exploring the dynamic field of history featuring both the efforts of various disciplines in dealing with the pasts and interdisciplinary approaches within the discipline of history. The conference embraces a broad variety of research themes, which deal with material objects in history and their meanings within the framework of heritage and memory studies on the one hand, and the politics of circulation of historically formed discourses of identity and legitimacy in present-day society, on the other hand.
- historical memory and historically-informed discourses of public politics and identity politics,
- nationalism, cultural heritage and nationalization of the past,
- comparative history of the imperial pasts, imperial diversity and imperial legacy;
- symbolic representations of history in post-imperial and post-colonial societies,
- studies of collective trauma and historical justice,
- Cultural, natural and industrial heritage, including public museums, media space, use of nature in historical narratives and memory;
- History in interaction with other disciplines: environmental history, history of science, technological history, urban history, economic history, history and law.