Street Celebrations and Performances on Victory Day
Here is a selection of locations where celebrations and performances will take place. Admission to all of these events is free.
Victory Day in Gorky Park
Gorky Park is a traditional meeting place for veterans on Victory Day every year.
Programme for May 9: military hardware exhibition, photo exhibitions, field kitchen, sports games for children.
- 9 am – 1 pm: children’s orchestras
- 10 am – 4 pm: concert with war-era songs
- After 4 pm: choir concert
- 2 pm – 6 pm: ‘Open Microphone’ at Pioner Open Cinema – veterans share their memories
- 9 pm: ‘Moscow Sky’ movie at Pioner Open Cinema; free entrance
- 2 pm – 5 pm: free 1940s dancing workshops (wooden dance floor)
- 6.55: moment of silence
Gorky Park on the map
- 2 pm: concert on Voznesenskaya Ploshad, songs of the pre-war and war period
- 3 pm: Church of Our Lady of Kazan bell tower (on the map) – bell music as part of the Moscow Easter Festival
- 4 pm: Church of St. George bell tower (on the map) – bell music as part of the Moscow Easter Festival
Park Pobedy (Victory Park)
Art installations, military hardware exhibition
- 3 pm – finish of a retro car rally across hero cities, which has taken place across Russia, Belarus, and Europe since March 31
- Equestrian show
- 7 pm: large concert with Russian pop stars
- 1 pm – Mariinsky Theatre symphonic orchestra
- 4.30 pm – Russian pop stars sing war time songs
- 8.30 pm – Mikhail Turetsky choir projects
Park Pobedy on the map
Brass Band Festival at Muzeon
May 9: brass band festival. Youngblood Brass Band (New Orleans, USA), BrassOK, ½ Orchestra, Brevis Brass, MOSBRASS and others.
In keeping with tradition, the brass bands will not only play on stage, but as they walk, on the riverbank, on the café roof, and on the triangle area next to the Krymsky Bridge (Crimean Bridge).
Workshops for children; area with retro furniture, music and dances.
Muzeon on the map
Programme for May 9:
Midday – veterans of the Sokolniki district meet at the central entrance
Fountain Square (on the map)
- 1 pm – Modern brass band
- 1 pm – 9 pm – photo booth
- 1 pm – 11 pm – photo exhibition
- 2 pm – 3 pm – field kitchen
- 7 pm – moment of silence
Festival Square (on the map)
- 2 pm – war movies
- 5 pm – Russian pop star Valery Syutkin plays retro hits
- 6 pm – music and dance concert
- 7 pm – moment of silence
- 7.30 pm – Russian pop star concert
- 10 pm – fireworks
Sokolniki Park on the map
On May 9 at 11 am, a parade of retro cars and motorcycles will be held near the Lomakov Museum of Antique Cars and Motorcycles. Music from the 1930s – 1960s, collectors’ exhibition of postcards, badges, and vintage clothes.
Address: Vladenie 58, Krasnodarskaya Ulitsa. Lyublino metro station.
Theatrical Performances on Moscow Boulevards
On May 9, various theatrical performances will take place on the central boulevards of Moscow.
Gogolevsky Bulvar (on the map)
The Way of War project, theatre, classical music, dancing, singing, recitation. Nine stage areas represent nine crucial moments on the path to Victory. The programme repeats three times during the day.
Kuznetsky Most (on the map)
Brass band, quizzes on the Great Patriotic War, competitions, children’s painting
4.30: theatre programme, including recitation, dancing and vocal performances
An evening concert will take place after the Moment of Silence (7 pm).
Nikitsky Bulvar (on the map)
- 1 pm: choir performances
- 5 pm: fragment of a performance by the Nikitsky Gate Theatre, student theatre
1 pm – 11 pm: Festival representing the atmosphere of post-war era. Concert programme, retro car exhibition, field kitchen. Dancing in the evening. Outdoor cinema. Fireworks.
Hermitage Garden on the map