Yuri V. Simachev
- Директор по экономической политике
- Professor:Faculty of Economic Sciences / Department of Applied Economics
- Director:Центр исследований структурной политики
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Yuri V. Simachev has been at HSE since 2006.
Coordinating and integrating economic research in order to develop the practical proposals on the state structural and industrial policy
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Degree in Physics
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
1994-1996: Higher School of Economics under the Ministry of Economics, Faculty of stock market and investments, Diploma
1995: International Intellectual Property Institute (Republic of Korea), Course on industrial property system, Diploma
1994: The Columbia Institute, Program of study in business evaluation principles and techniques, Diploma
Editorial board membership
2011: Member of the Editorial Board, Форсайт (Foresight and STI Governance).
- Article Simachev Y. V., Zudin N., Kuzyk M. Assessing the impact of public funding and tax incentives in Russia: Recipient analysis and additionality effects evaluation // The fteval Journal for Science and Policy Evaluation. 2017. No. 44. P. 17-34. doi
- Chapter Simachev Y. V., Kuzyk M., Zudin N. Science-industry cooperation in Russia: current status, problems, effects of government support, in: Russian Economy in 2016: Trends and Outlooks Issue 38. M. : Gaidar Institute Publishers, 2017. P. 393-423.
- Article Симачев Ю. В., Засимова Л. С., Курбанов Т. Р. Грантовая поддержка фундаментальных исследований в России: уроки первого конкурса Российского научного фонда // Форсайт. 2017. Т. 11. № 4. С. 74-83. doi
- Article Simachev Y. V., Feygina V., Kuzyk M. Cooperation between Russian Firms and Research Organizations When Conducting R&D // Problems of Economic Transition. 2016. Vol. 58. No. 5. P. 400-442. doi
- Article Simachev Y. V., Kuzyk M., Zudin N. Import Dependence and Import Substitution in Russian Manufacturing: A Business Viewpoint // Foresight and STI Governance. 2016. Vol. 10. No. 4. P. 25-45. doi
- Article Yuri Simachev, Kuzyk M., Feygina V. Public Support for Innovation in Russian Firms: Looking for Improvements in Corporate Performance Quality // International Advances in Economic Research. 2015. Vol. 21. No. 1. P. 13-31. doi
- Article Радыгин А. Д., Simachev Y. V., Entov R. M. The state-owned company: “State failure” or “market failure”? / Пер. с рус. // Russian Journal of Economics. 2015. Vol. 1. No. 1. P. 55-80. doi
- Article Yuri Simachev, Kuzyk M., Feygina V. The nature of innovation channels at the micro level: evidence from Russian manufacturing firms // Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies. 2014. Vol. 12. No. 2. P. 103-123. doi
- Article Симачев Ю. В., Кузык М. Г., Погребняк Е. В., Кузнецов Б. В. Россия на пути к новой технологической промышленной политике:среди манящих перспектив и фатальных ловушек // Форсайт. 2014. Т. 8. № 4. С. 6-23.
2015-2016: Deputy Director General, Russian Science Foundation
2004-2014: Deputy Director General, Interdepartmental Analytical Center
2002-2003: Head of Research and Development Department, Institute of Complex Strategic Studies
1992-2001: Deputy Director, Head of Division on Analysis and Evaluation, Interdepartmental Analytical Center
On June 4-5, the Development of Parliamentarism International Forum was held in Moscow. HSE experts took part in the forum organization, with several research departments from the university providing programming support for the event.
Slower GDP growth rates over the last several years were brought about by changes on international markets and the exhaustion of transformational bonuses due to the transition from a planned economy to a market economy, and this slowdown proves the necessity of looking for new solutions for stimulating the economy. The authors of the paper ‘Structural Changes in the Russian Economy and Structural Policy’ conducted a large-scale analysis on structural policy in Russia and around the world, as well as on possible ways for this policy to develop further. The first presentation of the paper took place as part of the plenary session called ‘Structural Policy in Russia: New Conditions and a Possible Agenda,’ which closed out HSE’s XIX April International Academic Conference.
On January 24, 2018, the Higher School of Economics jointly with RVC JSC held an expert discussion on indicators and instruments of the government’s policy of innovative development, designed for the National Report on Innovation in Russia — 2017.
HSE ICEF student Alexander Lee delivered a presentation titled ‘The Economy for Future Development’ during the session ‘Youth 2030. The image of the future’ at the XIX World Festival of Youth and Students, which took place in Russia from October 14-22. The presentation was based on creative work and discussions held over the course of one week among a group of international students led by experts from ISSEK and Yuri Simachev, Director for Economic Policy. Vladimir Putin, President of the Russian Federation, took part in the event.
On 8 December ISSEK hosted a discussion of best R&D and/or S&T management practices applied by academic organisations. Leading science, technology and education experts discussed conceptual models of R&D management, analysed various aspects of measuring academic organisations’ performance, and debated whether it would be at all possible to develop any universal success recipes.