Anna E. Afanasyeva
- Leading Research Fellow:Poletayev Institute for Theoretical and Historical Studies in the Humanities
- Associate Professor:Faculty of Humanities / School of Philosophy and Cultural Studies
- Anna E. Afanasyeva has been at HSE University since 2014.
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
- 2010Associate Professor
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in World History
Degree in History
Ushinskiy Yaroslavl State Teacher Training University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
2014, July - October: Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CRASSH), University of Cambridge, UK
2012, February - August: German Historical Institute (DHI), Moscow
2011, March - June: Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine, University College London, UK
2010, October - 2011, January: Internationales Forschungszentrum Kulturwissenschaften (IFK), Vienna, Austria
2006, 2007, 2008: University of Bielefeld, Germany
2004, January - April: King’s College London, UK
Student Term / Thesis Papers
A. Remizova, Gender in the depiction of monstrous characters in Walt Disney’s full-length animated films. Faculty of Humanities, 2018
V. Fadeeva, Problematization of Female Aging in Russian Television Makeover Shows. Faculty of Humanities, 2016
- Academic English Writing (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 4 year, 2, 3 module)Rus
- History and Theory of Culture (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design; 2 year, 1 module)Eng
- History of Culture (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 2 year, 1-3 module)Rus
2018, May - ongoing - Regular seminar of the international research project 'On Land and Sea: Medical geography in the Russian empire (1770—1870)', Institute of History of Eastern Europe and Southeastern Europe, LMU, Germany - HSE University, Moscow.
2019, September - International conference «Mapping diseases – monitoring health: Geographies of Medicine in the Tsarist Empire and the Soviet Union». German Historical Institute (DHI) - HSE University, Moscow.
2018, November - International conference “Empires, the Nation and Tropical Medicine (1885 – 1960)”. Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona, Spain.
2018, October - The VIIIth Andrey Poletaev Memorial Readings "Geography of knowledge: Map and Territory". HSE University, Moscow.
2017, October - Research seminar, Institute of History of Eastern Europe and Southeastern Europe, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany.
2016, September - International conference "Techniques, Technologies and Materialities of Epidemic Control", University of Cambridge, UK.
2015, March - BASEES, University of Cambridge, UK.
2014, October - 15th CESS Annual Meeting, Columbia University, New York, USA.
2014, July - “Disease, Health and the State” (SSHM Biennial Meeting), University of Oxford, UK.
2014, August - Research seminar, Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CRASSH), University of Cambridge, UK.
2013, May - "Late Imperial Epistemologies: A Eurasian Studies Workshop", Columbia University, New York, USA.
- Article Afanasyeva A.E., Vishlenkova E. A., Renner A. Medical geography in tsarist Russia. A transnational concept at the service of the empire, 1770-1870. // Jahrbucher fur Geschichte Osteuropas. 2020. Vol. 68. No. 4 (in press)
- Preprint Afanasyeva A. E. Explaining and Managing Epidemics in Imperial Contexts: Russian Responses to Plague in the Kazakh Steppe in the Late 19th and Early 20th Centuries / Basic Research Programme. Series HUM "Humanities". 2017. No. WP BRP 145/HUM/2017.
- Chapter Anna Afanasyeva. ‘Kazakh Religious Beliefs in the Writings of Russian Doctors during the Imperial Age (1731 – 1917)’, in: Islam, Society and States across the Qazaq Steppe (18th - Early 20th Centuries). Wien : Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, 2013. Ch. 6. P. 143-180.
- Article Anna Afanasyeva. ‘Quarantines and Copper Amulets: the Struggle against Cholera in the Kazakh Steppe in the Nineteenth Century’ // Jahrbucher fur Geschichte Osteuropas. 2013. Vol. 61. No. 4. P. 489-512.
- Chapter Anna Afanasyeva. Russian imperial medicine: the case of the Kazakh steppe, in: Crossing Colonial Historiographies: Histories of Colonial and Indigenous Medicines in Transnational Perspective. Newcastle upon Tyne : Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2010. P. 57-75.
2013 - present - Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Intellectual History, Institute of World History, Russian Academy of Sciences
2003 - 2013 - Lecturer/Associate Professor at the World History Department, Yaroslavl State Pedagogical University named after K.D. Ushinsky
В рамках международной конференции в Германском историческом институте в Москве прошла презентация проекта "On Land and Sea: Medical geography in the Russian empire (1770—1870)". С докладами выступили лидеры проекта - Анна Афанасьева, Елена Вишленкова и Андреас Реннер
On January 22, a working meeting of the project leaders - Anna Afanasyeva, Elena Vishlenkova and Andreas Renner, was held in Munich to develop a roadmap for 2019. Now we have directions, distances are measured, moments of meetings are determined.