Courses are taught by leading lecturers from the Faculty of Social Sciences and the Faculty of Computer Science, many of whom have had their work published in international scientific journals. Students who want to dive deeper into quantitative data analysis and programming can pursue the second learning trajectory in Applied Mathematics and Computer Science. The HSE Faculty of Social Sciences and the Faculty of Computer Sciences are acknowledged leaders in their respective fields, as evidenced by both Russian and international rankings.
Graduates of our programme have a wide range of employment opportunities, going on to pursue careers in leading IT and analytical companies, banks, and government bodies as experts, analysts, and data scientists. Students gain a deep insight into the application of analytical methods to solve specific problems, which makes them ideal candidates for leadership positions in the future (e.g., team lead, chief data scientist, head of the monitoring and analytics department).
Students interested in academic careers have a competitive advantage when applying to graduate and postgraduate programmes at leading universities thanks to their advanced knowledge of research methodology and application.
What Will I Study?
- a wide range of courses in the chosen subject area (Political Science / Sociology / State and Municipal Administration / Psychology)
- programming in Python, C++, and R
- algorithms and data structures
- microeconomics and macroeconomics
- regression analysis of socio-economic processes
- machine learning
- methods of text data analysis
- network analysis
- game theory
- time-series analysis
- methods of computational
Two Study Tracks
At the end of the first year, students choose one of two tracks. The first offers students an opportunity to master a minor in addition to the basic course programme. Students of this track can both deepen their knowledge in the chosen subject area and expand their social and scientific horizons by studying courses from related fields. For example, Political Science students may take classes in Economic Sociology, Psychology of Intergroup Relations and basic approaches to psychological counselling, among others.
Graduates of the first track receive a basic diploma.
Students of the second track dive deeper into quantitative data analysis and software development through courses in computer architecture, advanced machine learning, and deep learning. Graduates of this track receive a diploma in two fields: a basic diploma plus Applied Mathematics and Informatics.
Graduates go on to pursue careers in:
- IT companies and the banking sector: Mail.ru, Sberbank, Yandex, Tinkoff
- Research and analytical organisations: HSE University, Yuri Levada Analytical Center, VCIOM, Public Opinion Foundation, Ipsos, McKinsey & Company, Analytical Center for the Government of the Russian Federation, Rosstat
- Psychological counselling
- HR departments of large companies
- State authorities: Central Bank of the Russian Federation, Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation
- Media: Kommersant, RBC, and other
Students can continue their studies on master's and postgraduate programmes at HSE and other leading international universities (Stanford University, Columbia University, UCLA, and others). Graduates of the programme have a combination of advanced data analysis competencies and domain knowledge that makes them attractive PhD candidates.