The Emergence of the Modern Middle East - Part I
- This course aims to introduce students to the main political processes in the region, as well as provide students with relevant theoretical tools to assess political and economic processes in the region.
- Know: the basic prerequisites for the development of the Arab national idea in the Middle East and North Africa.
- Know: the ideas of political Islam, as well as their place in the socio-political development of the modern Middle East and North Africa.
- Know: the main conflicts that arose in the region of the Middle East and North Africa, as well as their causes and consequences for the region.
- On-line partThis course is based on the on-line course “The Emergence of the Modern Middle East - Part 1” (https://www.coursera.org/learn/modern-middle-east-1), which is realized on the Coursera platform by the professor of Tel Aviv University Asher Susser.
- Arab nationalism and integration processes in the Middle East and North AfricaArab nationalism: statement of the question and parameters of the phenomenon. The place of Islam and Islamic culture in the phenomenon of Arab nationalism. The task of Arab nationalism and methods for its implementation. The idea of "Arabism" as a way to create a politically united community and national revival. Syrian-Lebanese version of Arab nationalism. The origin of the ideas of the Arab national revival and the role of the Christian intelligentsia in this process. The concept of "historical Syria" and its evolution. The influence of internal processes in the Ottoman Empire on the formation of the Arab national idea. Evolution of the ideas of the "Egyptian nation" and "unity of the the Nile Valley" after the First World War. Egyptian vision of the Arab world and the place of Egypt in it.
- The emergence of the Islamic concept of the world orderThe development of Islamic political and legal thought of the XIX-XX centuries. The emergence and development of pan-Islamic ideas in al-Afghanistan. The concept of pan-Islamism and attempts at its practical implementation. The sovereignty of nations in the works of al-Afghanistan. Islamic reformism in the works of M. Abdo. A.A. Maududi is the founder of the ideology of Islamic fundamentalism. Formation, development and organizational principles of functioning of the “Jamaat Islamiyah”. A look at Islamic fundamentalism in the 21st century.
- Conflicts in the Middle East and North AfricaThe policy of the Arab countries during the Suez crisis. The unification of Egypt and Syria and the creation of the UAR. The interests of Egypt and Syria. Contradictions between political elites of both countries. The attitude of other Arab states towards the unification process. The collapse of the UAR in 1961. An anti-monarchist coup in Yemen in 1962. Contradictions between Egypt and Saudi Arabia. Arab Positions Regarding Kuwait's Admission to the Arab League. Egypt's role in protecting Kuwait from claims by Iraq. The attitude of the Arab countries to the Iran-Iraq war. Support from Iraq by neighboring Arab Gulf countries. The special position of Syria. The intensification of the contradictions between the Arab countries and Iran. Conflict situations between the Arab countries of the Persian Gulf and Iran. Arab countries as objects of Iran’s policy of “exporting the Iranian revolution”. Iraq crisis. Disagreements between Arab countries over Iraqi aggression. The participation of several Arab countries in the military operation to liberate Kuwait. Damask Declaration on Regional Security. Relations between Iraq and Arab countries during the period of international sanctions against Iraq.
- Online componentStudents have to self-study an online course “The Emergence of the Modern Middle East - Part 1” in English language on the Coursera platform [coursera.org] https://www.coursera.org/learn/modern-middle-east-1.
- QuizQuiz is carried out in the form of a test (questions with one correct answer), including 15 questions (15 min).
- ExamExam is carried out in the form of a test (with open questions, questions with one and multiple correct answers) including 20-25 questions (25-30 min).
- Jacqueline S. Ismael, Tareq Y. Ismael, & Glenn Perry. (2015). Government and Politics of the Contemporary Middle East : Continuity and Change: Vol. Second edition. Routledge.
- Adeed Dawisha. (2016). Arab Nationalism in the Twentieth Century : From Triumph to Despair - New Edition with a New Chapter on the Twenty-first-century Arab World: Vol. New edition. Princeton University Press.
- Peter Hinchcliffe, & Beverley Milton-Edwards. (2008). Conflicts in the Middle East Since 1945: Vol. 3rd ed. Routledge.
- Vasiliev, A. V. (DE-588)1178178919, (DE-627)1049257553, (DE-576)517716577, aut. (2018). Russia’s Middle East policy from Lenin to Putin Alexey Vasiliev.