- Introduce the central concepts from various topics, including analyzing macroeconomic data, development economics, economic cycle and crisis, the problem of inequality.
- Students know and understand the basic macroeconomic indicators.
- Growth and the role of technology. Description of the Solow model. Growth in different countries. The role of institutions.
- Understanding economic fluctuations, economic and financial crises
- Understanding main concepts about financial markets and instruments. Efficient market hypothesis. Bubbles
- Understanding the main indicators of inequality, its types, and methods to deal with it
- Macroeconomic DataNational accounts. Measuring income, inflation and unemployment
- DevelopmentGrowth and the role of technology. Description of the Solow model. Growth in different countries. Institutions — inclusive and extractive
- CycleEconomic fluctuations. Crises. Keynes, Friedman and the Great Depression
- Finance and Money MarketFinancial markets and instruments. Efficient market hypothesis. Bubbles. Banking system and market for money
- InequalityMeasuring inequality. Types of inequality and resulting incentives. Methods of reducing inequality
- Interim assessment (4 module)0.125 * Essay 1 + 0.125 * Essay 2 + 0.25 * Final Exam + 0.25 * In-class quizzes + 0.125 * Project 1 + 0.125 * Project 2