English for General Communication Purposes. Advanced Course - 2
- The complex development of skills and competences for general communication of the C1 level (according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), HSE Scale 80-89 points); The improvement of students’ command of English for interpersonal and intercultural communication; The enhancement of receptive and productive skills related to general purposes; The expansion of vocabulary on a variety of topics; The expansion of grammar structures in use.
- To develop skills of using basic listening techniques (predicting, understanding main ideas and details)
- To develop skills of using basic reading techniques skimming and scanning (predicting, understanding main ideas, understanding details)
- To develop understanding of articles, reports, straightforward and specialised texts concerned with contemporary problems at the threshold/vantage/effective operational proficiency level
- To develop understanding of lectures and learning context
- To form skills of note-taking
- To form understanding of text structure
- To improve understanding of dialogues and polylogues on both familiar and unfamiliar topics
- develop writing skills (email / essay)
- participate in dialogues on general, academic and professional topics. (active listening, questioning, responding to questions, emphasizing, discussion strategies)
- produce monologues (informative/descriptive/argumentative/persuasive speech)
- Fashion and consumerism.
- Technology and change.
- People and ideas.
- Journalism and media.
- Law and society.
- Arts and entertainment.
- FINAL ASSESSMENTThe final test includes one reading test and one written work (an essay). The test tasks can be of different types. The final grade is equal to the mean of the grades for a reading test and an essay. Reading tests are assessed as follows: 100-96% of fully correct answers = 10; 95-91% of fully correct answers = 9; 90-86% of fully correct answers = 8; 85-78% of fully correct answers = 7; 77-71% of fully correct answers = 6; 70-61% of fully correct answers = 5; 60-51% of fully correct answers = 4; 50-36% of fully correct answers = 3; 35-21% of fully correct answers = 2; 20-1% of fully correct answers = 1, 0% of fully correct answers, plagiarism or no work handed in or the student was absent = 0. Answers containing spelling mistakes are considered incorrect. Writing is checked against the criteria-max. 10 points. Period of FA: 10 days prior to the fourth module’s session. The release of examination papers: during the session. Period of FA: 10 days prior to the fourth module’s session. The release of examination papers: during the session. Retaking the exam: till the 15th of October 2023. Time limit: 70 minutes online/offline. 1. Reading (R) Max. 10 points. Students have no more than 20 minutes to complete the Reading part. Read the text. Possible reading tasks: • Correct option for each task (multiple choice). • Fill in the gaps (gap-filling). • Decide whether the statement is True, False or Not Given. 2. Writing (W) Write an essay on one of the topics given. Max. 10 points. Students should write a 250-word essay. Students have 50 minutes to complete the writing part. Grading formula: R* 0.4 + W*0.6 = 10.
- Independent Work Assessment (IWA)Independent work includes activities that students do at home, activities that students do in the classroom and online work. The elements of independent work cannot be retaken.
- Oral AssessmentOral assessment includes 1 monologue on a given topic and 1 discussion.
- Written Assessment (WA)Written assessment includes: • 1 reading test, • 1 listening test, • 3 vocabulary and grammar tests • 1 essay.
- 2022/2023 4th module0.25 * Written Assessment (WA) + 0.2 * Oral Assessment + 0.3 * FINAL ASSESSMENT + 0.25 * Independent Work Assessment (IWA)
- Berry, R. (2018). English Grammar : A Resource Book for Students (Vol. 2nd edition). [Place of publication not identified]: Routledge. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1753147
- New language leader: advanced : coursebook, , 2015
- English grammar : a resource book for students, Berry, R., 2012
- Качалова, К. Н. Практическая грамматика английского языка с упражнениями и ключами : учебник / К. Н. Качалова, Е. Е. Израилевич. — Санкт-Петербург : КАРО, 2018. — 608 с. — ISBN 978-5-9925-0716-4. — Текст : электронный // Лань : электронно-библиотечная система. — URL: https://e.lanbook.com/book/114337 (дата обращения: 00.00.0000). — Режим доступа: для авториз. пользователей.
- Практическая грамматика английского языка с упражнениями и ключами, Качалова, К.Н., Израилевич, Е.Е., 2019