The Programme involves preparing specialists in the field of economics of environmental challenges and sustainable development. It aims at preparing globally competitive professionals who understand deeply the relationship between economic development and environment at the level of states and businesses. The activities of graduates will further contribute to the sustainable development of global economy, its individual countries, industries, and companies.
The primary focus of the Programme:
- role of environmental issues in the global economic development,
- “green” transformation of specific-industry markets
- energy transition
- international, national and corporate strategies for sustainable development and decarbonization
- corporate ESG strategies
- disclosure of non-financial information and ESG risks management and supervision
- sustainable (socially responsible) investing
- policies and instruments for low-carbon development
The Programme is of an applied nature; it involves 2 educational tracks.
The track "Economics of Global Environmental Challenges" is focused on more in-depth understanding of the role of environmental issues at the global and national levels. It includes interactions with international organizations, government and intergovernmental agencies, research centres and think-tanks.
The track "ESG in Corporate Business" is focused on more in-depth understanding of role of environmental challenges in business practices. It includes interactions with industry companies, consulting, banking and financial organizations.
The programme accepts applications from graduates of various specialties, as well as young professionals already employed in companies, government departments, international organizations, etc.
- High-quality economic training. Training of specialists in the field of environmental economics and sustainable development, who possess the tools of economic analysis of environmental problems and the possibilities of their mitigation at the state and business level
- Education in English. Involvement of leading foreign specialists - representatives of international organizations, foreign research centers and companies
- Applied nature. The program is structured around the applied projects of the HSE and the Programme partners. It is focused on involving students in project activities on behalf of University departments (including the HSE Research Laboratory for Climate Change Economics), international organizations, government departments and business.
- Focus on business needs. Training courses and project&research components of the Programme are developed and implemented jointly with the Programme' business partners.
- The ability to strike a balance between work and study. The training will take place in the evenings on weekdays (6 to 9 PM) and on Saturdays.
- Individual approach. Educational courses and research seminars are adapted to the background and needs of each student.
Courses will be taught by Russian and foreign scholars and experts in English. The general structure of the Programme assumes training for 2 years which will take place in Russia (with the possibility of foreign internships).
Classes will be held in the evening format: 3 weekdays and Saturday.
The educational framework includes 4 blocks. The content of each block depends on the chosen educational track (see above).
The “Basic” block (it is going to be the same for both tracks):
- Economics and Finance;
- Data Analysis & Econometriсs;
- Introduction to Environmental Economics;
- Climate Change Economics.
The “Profile” block
- Economics of Energy Transition;
- State and Corporate Low-carbon Strategies;
- Introduction to ESG;
- Green and Sustainable Finance
The “Optional” block:
- International Environmental Law & Governance;
Global Economic Development and Sustainable Development Goals;
Water Resources Management and Policy;
- ESG Accounting and Government Relations.
- MagoLego is an elective component of the curriculum aimed at customizing students’ learning process.
The “Research” block implies students' participation in research seminars, research projects, research internship and the preparation of the Master thesis.
Potential employers of graduates of the Programme:
- Big businesses
- International organizations
- Consulting companies
- Scientific and research centres
Government departments and development corporations
Non-governmental and non-profit organizations
Our students work at Severstal, the Research and Educational Laboratory for the Economics of Climate Change, Schneider Electric.
Competitive selection by portfolio.
You can read more about the requirements for the applicant in the document - Composition and Criteria for Evaluating Portfolios
The program is implemented entirely in English. As part of the entrance test, an interview is conducted, during which the applicant's interest and knowledge in the field of study, as well as the level of English, are assessed. If the applicant has valid international certificates indicating the level of English proficiency (TOEFL / IELTS / PTE / CAE / BEC and others) or a diploma of the previous stage of education, as well as an equivalent document indicating the completion of training in English, the applicant may be exempted from part of the English level test at the interview.
Other Master’s Programmes