• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

HSE University Returns to Campus

Answers to your most important questions

HSE University Returns to Campus

© Daniil Prokofyev

Beginning September 1, the HSE will finally fully return to its usual mode of operation. We answer questions about the new rules, the operation of libraries and cafeterias, and studying or working online if you are at risk.

Starting this year, HSE is requiring everyone to wear masks. What does it mean?

Beginning September 1, all employees and students are required to wear masks or respirators covering their mouth and the nose while on campus. If you forget your mask at home, you can buy one from a vending machine at the entrance to the building.

Exceptions to mask-wearing rule:

  • teachers who lecture in large classrooms;
  • employees and students during creative activities;
  • employees working in their private offices;
  • students in their dorm rooms.

There will also be temperature checkpoints at the entrances.

Employees and students without masks or with high temperature will not be allowed into campus buildings.

Can I use a scarf, sash, or other item instead of a mask?

No, only a mask or respirator can be used for protection.

Will HSE provide students and staff with masks?

Yes, at the beginning of the academic year, all HSE students will receive a set of four reusable masks. They will be available at the programmes’ Study Offices.

If you have lost or forgotten your mask, you can buy a new one from the vending machine at the entrance to the building.

How have the buildings prepared for the new academic year?

Ventilation systems in all buildings, including dormitories, have undergone anti-epidemiological treatment. During the academic year, all HSE buildings will also be regularly disinfected—door handles, light switches, handrails, railings, etc. will be regularly cleaned.

Will social distancing rules apply during class?

No, the classes will run as usual.

Will there be traditional HSE offline events in the new academic year, such as festivals?

Unfortunately, so far all public events not related to the educational process are prohibited until the end of 2020.

Will cafeterias operate as usual?

Cafeterias in all buildings will open on September 1 in compliance with all the requirements of Russian regulatory authorities. Social distancing markers have been placed on the floors and tables. Please follow the signs.

How will libraries operate?

Beginning September 1, libraries will be open as before, but certain rules should be followed.

Visitors in the reading rooms must wear masks. There can be no more than 50 people at a given time (you can check how busy the reading rooms are on the library's website). Finally, it is mandatory to maintain social distance.

In addition, all books will be quarantined for at least 72 hours after each use.

Detailed rules are posted on the library website.

How will the other community areas (coworking areas, gyms, staff break rooms) operate?

All facilities will operate as usual, but in compliance with the requirements of Russian regulatory authorities.

If a student cannot study in person due to health concerns or other reasons, what should they do?

Students who would like to study online should contact their programme study office. Each situation will be treated on a case by case basis, since the university cannot guarantee a full transition to online studies for everyone who has a desire to do so.

Will all university employees return to their offices on August 24?

On August 24, administrative staff involved in academic and programme support will return to campus. The rest of the employees who have been working remotely will return to their offices on August 31.

At the same time, department heads may choose to uphold the remote work arrangement in their departments, if this does not hinder university operations.

How will employees from higher risk groups work?

University employees aged 65 and older (except for those whose presence on campus is necessary to maintaining unit or programme operations), as well as those who have chronic medical conditions will continue to work remotely.

They can opt to return to their workplace at their discretion, by informing their supervisor and submitting a written request through the HSE HR Front Office.

What if I am diagnosed with COVID or if I live together with somebody who has fallen ill?

First of all, you should self-isolate. Second, notify the immediate supervisor (if you are a university employee) or the manager or head of your degree programme (or doctoral school) about your situation.

I am feeling unwell in class or in the office. What should I do?

Go to one of the university’s First-Aid Rooms immediately.

In addition to the First Aid room in Myasnitskaya, four new rooms are slated to open at Staraya Basmannaya, Pokrovsky Bulvar, Shabolovka, and in Strogino.