Aleksey Y. Oshchepkov
- Senior Research Fellow:Centre for Labour Market Studies
- Assistant Professor:Faculty of Economic Sciences / Department of Applied Economics
- Aleksey Y. Oshchepkov has been at HSE since 2003.
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Higher School of Economics
Master's in Macroeconomics
Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
Master's in Public Finance
Higher School of Economics, Economics
Bachelor's in Economics
Higher School of Economics, Economics
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Student Term / Thesis Papers
A. Petrosyan «How do Penalties work under Corruption». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2016
T. Trach «The Motherhood Penalty in the Russian Labor Market». Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
R. Ismagilov «Analyzing Corruption at the Micro-Level: a Cross-Country Perspective». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2017
M. Dudnik «Estimates of Demand for Child Care in Russia». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2014
- Practicum on Empirical Methods of Economic Analysis (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Economic Sciences; programme "Economics"; 3 year, 4 module)Rus
- Research Seminar "Economic Thinking" (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Economic Sciences; programme "Economics"; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
Dissertation for a degree of Candidate of Science
A. Y. Oshchepkov Факторы межрегиональных различий в заработной плате в России
- Preprint Kravtsova M., Oshchepkov A. Y., Welzel C. The Shadow of the Family: Historical Roots of Social Capital in Europe / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2018.
- Article Kravtsova M., Oshchepkov A. Y., Welzel C. Values and Corruption: Do Postmaterialists Justify Bribery? // Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 2017. Vol. 48. No. 2. P. 225-242. doi
- Article Muravyev Alexander, Oshchepkov Aleksey. The effect of doubling the minimum wage on employment: evidence from Russia // IZA Journal of Labor and Development. 2016. Vol. 5. No. 6. P. 1-20. doi
- Chapter Oshchepkov A. Y. Compensating Wage Differentials Across Russian Regions, in: AIEL Series in Labour Economics: Geographical Labor Market Imbalances Geographical Labor Market Imbalances . AIEL Series in Labour Economics. Berlin : Springer, 2015. doi Ch. 4. P. 65-105.
- Preprint Muravyev Alexander, Oshchepkov Aleksey. The Effect of Doubling the Minimum Wage on Employment: Evidence from Russia / IZA. Series "IZA Discussion Paper". 2015. No. 9589.
- Preprint Kravtsova Maria, Oshchepkov A. Y., Welzel C. Corruption and social values: Do postmaterialists justify bribery? / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2014. No. 34.
- Preprint Muravyev A., Oshchepkov A. Y. Minimum Wages, Unemployment and Informality: Evidence from Panel Data on Russian Regions / IZA. Series "IZA Discussion Paper". 2013. No. 7878.
- Preprint Muravyev A., Oshchepkov A. Y. Minimum wages and labor market outcomes:evidence from the emerging economy of Russia / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Economics/EC". 2013.
- Preprint Gimpelson V. E., Oshchepkov A. Y. Does More Unemployment Cause More Fear of Unemployment? / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EC "Economics". 2012. No. 13.
- Article Gimpelson V. E., Oshchepkov A. Y. Does more unemployment cause more fear of unemployment? // IZA Journal of Labor & Development. 2012. Vol. 1. No. 6
- Preprint Lokshin M., Gimpelson V. E., Oshchepkov A. Y. Explaining the Dynamics in Perceptions of Job Insecurity in Russia / Institute for the Study of Labor. Series IZA DP "Discussion Paper". 2012. No. 6422.
- Article Kholodilin K., Oshchepkov A. Y., Siliverstovs B. The Russian Regional Convergence Process: Where is It Leading? // Eastern European Economics. 2012. Vol. 50. No. 3. P. 5-26. doi
- Article Kholodilin K., Oshchepkov A. Y., Siliverstovs B. The Russian regional convergence process: Where is it leading? // Eastern European Economics. 2012. Vol. 50. No. 3. P. 5-26. doi
- Preprint Oshchepkov A. Y., Kholodilin K., Siliverstov B. The Russian regional convergence process: Where does it go? / DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research. Series 861 "Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin". 2009. No. 861.
- Preprint Oshchepkov A. Y. Are Interregional Wage Differentials in Russia Compensative? / DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research. Series 750 "Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin". 2007. No. 750.
2nd IZA/HSE Workshop: Ten Years after the Financial Crisis - Labor Market Adjustment in Emerging and Post-Transition Economies
2nd IZA/HSE Workshop: Ten Years after the Financial Crisis - Labor Market Adjustment in Emerging and Post-Transition Economies was held in Moscow 11-12th October. Participants presented the results of studies dedicated to the analysis of labor market issues in post-transition and emerging economies. A special focus was on the process of labor market adjustment in the aftermath of the Great Recession and its consequences.
The research paper competition was held in 21 subjects, including Arts and Design, an area that was just introduced this year. For the first time ever, international students are among the competition’s winners.
This prize is awarded to HSE staff who’ve authored the best books and textbooks while working at the University.
Golden HSE Award was bestowed to all members of the Centre for Labour Market Studies - Vladimir Gimpelson, Rostislav Kapeliushnikov, Nina Vishnevskaya, Anna Lukiyanova, Aleksey Oshchepkov, Anna Zudina, Anna Sharunina, Evgenia Chernina.
CLMS members were nominated for 5 monoghaphs published in 2006-2017 that were dedicated to the comprehensive analysis of Russian labour market.
The CLMS members participated in 3d International Russia Longitudinal Monitoring Survey of HSE User Conference which was held in Moscow on 19-20 May 2017 at the National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE) with the support of Research Center “Demoscope”, Institute of Sociology of the Russian Academy of Sciences and University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill.
The CLMS members participated in XVIII April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development
Speakers — Aleksey Oshchepkov (Center for Labour Market Studies HSE) and Maria Kravtsova (Laboratory for Comparative Social Research HSE).
In October 2012, the Institute for the Study of Labour (IZA) and the Higher School of Economics held an international workshop ‘Labor Market Adjustment in the Commonwealth of Independent States, Central Asia and China in the Wake of the Great Recession’. Vladimir Gimpelson, Director of the HSE Centre for Labour Market Studies, spoke to us about the event and its results.