- Professor:Faculty of Social Sciences / School of Sociology / Department of General Sociology
- Director:Faculty of Social Sciences / Centre for Social Organization Research of Labour and Business
- Tenured Professor
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Azer Efendiev has been at HSE since 1999.
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
Doctor of Sciences* in Philosophical Sciences
Lomonosov Moscow State University
Lenin Moscow State Teacher Training Institute
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
- Contemporary Methodology and Research Methods in Sociology: Key Elements of Quantitative Researches (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Sociology of Public and Business Sphere"; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Rus
- Contemporary Sociological Theory: Theory of Social Systems and Interactions (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Sociology of Public and Business Sphere"; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Research Seminar "Sociology of Business Sphere" (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Sociology of Public and Business Sphere"; 1 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- Research Seminar "Sociology of Business Sphere" (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Sociology of Public Sphere and Social Communications"; 2 year, 1-4 module)Rus
Student Term / Thesis Papers
Zh. Lyuby'x «Russian Employee's participation in the process of decision making at domestic- and foreign-owned companies». Faculty of Management, 2014
I. Senkevich «Dependence of the expectations and obligations on the employee’s negotiation power». Faculty of Management, 2014
P. Molchanov «Workers’ needs in mastering professional knowledge and skills and social mechanisms of mastering them in Russian business organizations». Faculty of Management, 2014
- Article Saari T., Melin H., Balabanova E. S., Efendiev A. Better leadership, higher work engagement? Comparative study on Finnish and Russian private sector employees // International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy. 2018. Vol. 38. No. 11/12. P. 922-943. doi
- Preprint Gogoleva A., Efendiev A., Balabanova E. S., Komarova V. EMPLOYEE WORK BEHAVIOR IN RUSSIAN BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS: PRIORITIES, PROFESSIONAL FEATURES AND WORK PRACTICES / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series MAN "Management". 2017.
- Article Gogoleva A., Sorokin P. S., Efendiev A. RESEARCH INTO QUALITY OF WORK LIFE IN ORGANISATIONAL STUDIES: PROBLEMS AND PERSPECTIVES // Society and Economy. 2017. Vol. 39. No. 4. P. 597-616. doi
- Article Saari T., Melin H., Balabanova E. S., Efendiev A. The Job Demands and Resources as Antecedents of Work Engagement: Comparative Research on Finland and Russia // Baltic Journal of Management. 2017. Vol. 12. No. 2. P. 240-254. doi
- Article Efendiev A., Sorokin P. S., Kozlova M. A. Changes in the Rural Life in Belgorod Region in 2000-2013: Consequences of Economic Transformations // Journal of Rural Development. 2015. Vol. 34. No. 4. P. 509-527.
- Article Evgeniya Balabanova, Azer Efendiev, Ehrnrooth M., Koveshnikov A. Idiosyncrasy, heterogeneity and evolution of managerial styles in contemporary Russia // Baltic Journal of Management. 2015. Vol. 10. No. 1. P. 2-29. doi
- Preprint Gogoleva A., Sorokin P. S., Efendiev A. QUALITY OF WORK LIFE AS METHODOLOGICAL FRAMEWORK IN ORGANIZATIONAL STUDIES: STATE OF THE ART AND PERSPECTIVES FOR THE FUTURE RESEARCH / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series MAN "Management". 2014. No. 23.
- Preprint Efendiev A., Gogoleva A., Balabanova E. S. Social Exchange Concept As A Methodological Framework For Employment Relations Analysis / NRU Higher School of Economics. 2014. No. 18.
- Preprint Efendiev A., Sorokin P. S., Kozlova M. A. Transformations In The Rural Life In Russian Belgorod Region In 2000-2013 Through “Modernization” Theoretical Perspective: Increasing Material Well-Being, Growing Individualism And Persisting Pessimism / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2014. No. WP BRP 56/SOC/2014 .
- Article Efendiev A., Sorokin P. S. Research in social organization as factor affecting rural economic growth in developing society: theoretical and methodological challenges // International Journal of Asian Social Science. 2013. Vol. 3. No. 10. P. 2236-2245.
- Article Efendiev Azer, Sorokin Pavel. Rural Social Organization and Farmer Cooperatives Development in Russia and other Emerging Economies: Comparative Analysis // Journal of Developing Country Studies. 2013. Vol. 3. No. 14. P. 106-115.
- Article Sorokin P. S., Efendiev A. Sociological perspective for studying career in developing society: integrative theoretical approach // International Journal of Asian Social Science. 2013. Vol. 3. No. 7. P. 1597-1606.
Editorial board membership
2013: Member of the Editorial Board, Социологические исследования (Sotsiologicheskie Issledovaniya).
- theory of social institutions
- theory of social groups
- sociology of personality
- sociology of education
- sociology of business and organizational culture
Following a directive of the Rector, key HSE staff members have been awarded ‘Acknowledgement’ medals for their high professional achievements and devotion to work.
The HSE International Institute of Administration and Business (IIAB) is launching a new year-long Masters in European Business programme which is open for graduates of the HSE as well as other Russian and international graduates. Irina Maltseva, Director of the IIAB, told us about the programme’s details, advantages and the application procedure.