- Academic Supervisor:Faculty of Social Sciences / School of Sociology
- Professor:Faculty of Social Sciences / School of Sociology / Department of Economic Sociology
- Programme Scientific Supervisor:Corporate Research, Development and Innovation Management
- Tenured Professor (2016)
- Distinguished Professor (2019)
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Alexander Chepurenko has been at HSE University since 2004.
Education and Degrees
Doctor of Sciences* in Economics
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Degree in Economics
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
Membership in academic communities and professional associations:
Since 2008 – First Vice President of the Russian Sociologists Society (ROS)
Since 2007 – editorial board member at Mir Rossii (World of Russia) journals
Since 2006 – board member of the Community of Professional Sociologists
Since 2005 – Vice President of the European Council for Small Business (ECSB)
Since 2003 – President of the National Institute for System Studies of Entrepreneurship
2001-2007 – member of the selection commission of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s programme ‘Chancellor of Germany’s stipends for young Russian leaders’
2001-2003 – member of the World Association for Public Opinion Research
1999-2003 – President of the Moscow Humboldt Club
1993-2009 – member of the German Society for East European Studies
1996-2011 - member of the Public Expert's Council on Small Business under the Moscow Mayor and Government
Student Term / Thesis Papers
N. Smirnov, Student Entrepreneurship: Reasons, Kinds and Types of IT in Russia. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2020
A. Gureev, The Role of Real and Virtual Social Networks in the Creation of an Entrepreneurial Startup. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2020
A. Klementev, Perception of Business Related Policy by Entrepreneurs in Russia as a Precursor for Institutional Trust in Government. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
Y. Litovinskaya, Aspects of Business Success Perception by Female Entrepreneurs in Russia. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
A. Stepina, The Role of Business Incubators in Construction and Taking Advantages out of Network Communication by Startups (the Case of HSE Business Incubators Residents). Faculty of Social Sciences, 2016
A. Kalita, Innovation Performance of Russian Small and Medium Enterprises: the Role of Internal and External Context. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2016
O. Spesivtseva, Features of Social Entrepreneurship in Countries with Different Levels of Socio-Economic Development (Based on the "Global Entrepreneurship Monitor"). Faculty of Social Sciences, 2016
M. Aleksandrov, control mechanism of employee loyalty in small enterprises. Faculty of Sociology, 2014
E. Bereza, Роль университета в формировании отношения студентов к предпринимательству. Faculty of Sociology, 2013
A. Stepina, Genesis of Russian Institutes of Developments: Actors, Strategies, Arrangements of Institutional Entrepreneurship. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
O. Spesivtceva, Features of Entrepreneurial Activity in the Post-Socialist Countries of Central and Eastern Europe. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
S. Keng, Corruption and Foreign Direct Investment: the Problem with Uncertainty. Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs, 2014
- Informal Economy and Entrepreneurship in Contemporary Russia (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Introduction to Profession (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 1-3 module)Rus
- Marx’ ‘Capital’: a text-critical analysis (Optional course (university); 3, 4 module)Rus
- Public Policy Regarding Small Business, Entrepreneurship, Innovative Activities and International Trade (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Rus
- Researching Entrepreneurship: How to plan, design and conduct a project on Entrepreneurship (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 4 year, 1 module)Eng
Sociology of Entrepreneurship (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; "Экономическая социология", "Социальная теория и прикладное социальное знание", "Прикладные методы социологических исследований"; 4 year, 1 module)Eng
- Summer School "Opening Up the Entrepreneurship" (Optional course (faculty); Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 module)Eng
Editorial board membership
Member of the editorial board of the journal "Foresight and STI Governance" since 2020
2010: Member of the Editorial Board, Мониторинг общественного мнения: экономические и социальные перемены.
2006: Member of the Editorial Council, Мир России: Социология, этнология.
Chepurenko A. (2015) The foreign scientific foundations’ role in the cross-border mobility of Russian academics, International Journal of Manpower, Volume 36, Issue 4, pp. 562 – 584.
- Article Chepurenko A. Educating prospective entrepreneurship researchers: the case of a summer school as a learning community // Entrepreneurship education, China, Electronic ISSN 2520-815 . 2020. P. 1-18. doi
- Chapter Chepurenko A. Different types of informal entrepreneurs in fragile ‘transitional’ contexts: case based evidence in Russia, in: Entrepreneurship and local economic development: a comparative perspective on entrepreneurs, universities and governments / 1st Edition. NY : Routledge, 2019. P. 1-29.
- Article Chepurenko A. Historical and Institutional Determinants of Universities’ Role in Fostering Entrepreneurship // Foresight and STI Governance. 2019. Vol. 13. No. 4. P. 48-59. doi
- Article Chepurenko A. ‘Non-Routine Entrepreneurs’: Another Path of Realizing Entrepreneurial Intentions // Administrative Sciences. 2019. Vol. 9. No. 2. P. 1-15. doi
- Article Chepurenko A. Small family business in Russia: formal or informal? // International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy. 2018. Vol. 38. No. 9/10. P. 809-822. doi
- Chapter Chepurenko A., Popovskaya E. V., Obraztsova O. Cross-regional Variations in the Motivation of Early-Stage Entrepreneurial Activity in Russia: Determining Factors, in: Entrepreneurship in Transition Economies / Отв. ред.: A. Chepurenko.; Ed. by A. Sauka, Alexander Chepurenko. Springer, 2017. doi P. 315-342. doi
- Chapter Chepurenko A. Introduction. Systematic 'Transition' and Entrepreneurship Theory, in: Entrepreneurship in Transition Economies / Отв. ред.: A. Chepurenko.; Ed. by A. Sauka, Alexander Chepurenko. Springer, 2017. doi P. 3-14. doi
- Chapter Chepurenko A., Elahovsky V., Popovskaya E. V. Entrepreneurial activity of the Russian population: factors of cross-regional diversity – methodology, indicators, preliminary findings, in: Entrepreneurship, innovation and regional development. Ed. by D. Smallbone, M. Virtanen and A. Sauka. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publ., 2016. Cheltenham : Edward Elgar Publishing, 2016. doi Ch. 7. P. 127-144. doi
- Chapter Chepurenko A. INFORMAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INFORMAL ENTREPRENEURIAL ACTIVITY IN RUSSIA, in: Entrepreneurship and the shadow economy. Cheltenham : Edward Elgar Publishing, 2016. doi Ch. 5. P. 119-150. doi
- Preprint Chepurenko A., Виленский А. В. SME POLICY OF THE RUSSIAN STATE (1990–2015): FROM A “GENERALIST” TO A “PATERNALIST” APPROACH Working Paper WP1/2016/02 Series WP1 Institutional Problems of Russian Economy / NRU HSE. Series WP1 "Институциональные проблемы российской экономики". 2016.
- Preprint Chepurenko A., Образцова О., Elahovsky V. Cross-Regional Variations in the Level of Entrepreneurial Activity in Russia by Type of Motivation: Determining Factors / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series MAN "Management". 2015. No. WP BRP 45/MAN/2015 .
- Article Chepurenko A. Entrepreneurship Theory: New challenges and future prospects // Foresight and STI Governance. 2015. Vol. 9. No. 2. P. 44-57.
- Article Chepurenko A. The role of foreign scientific foundations’ role in the cross-border mobility of Russian academics // International Journal of Manpower. 2015. Vol. 36. No. 4. P. 562-584. doi
- Chapter Chepurenko A. Varieties of transition — varieties of entrepreneurship, in: XV Апрельская международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества: в 4-х книгах / Отв. ред.: Е. Г. Ясин. Кн. 2. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2015.
- Chapter Chepurenko A. Informal entrepreneurship under transition: causes and specific features, in: Soziologie des Wirtschaftlichen: Alte und neue Fragen. Wiesbaden : Springer, 2014. P. 361-381.
- Chapter Chepurenko A., Round J. P. Entrepreneurship in the informal sector during transition: causes, specific features, socio-economic effects, in: XIII Международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества. В 4 кн. Кн. 1. / Отв. ред.: Е. Г. Ясин. Кн. 1. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2012. P. 443-451.
- Chapter Alimova T. A., Chenina A., Chepurenko A. Business under crisis: to start or to discontinue? (The case of Russia), in: Theory of Entrepreneurship: new results and prospects (Research papers) / Ed. by A. Chepurenko. M. : -, 2011. P. 6-42.
- Preprint Chepurenko A., Gabelko M., Obraztsova O. Early-Stage Entrepreneurial Activity: an Explanatory Model for Cross-Country Comparisons / NRU HSE. Series WP1 "Институциональные проблемы российской экономики". 2011. No. 04.
- Book Theory of Entrepreneurship: new results and prospects (Research papers) / Ed. by A. Chepurenko. M. : -, 2011.
- Preprint Chepurenko A., Gabelko M., Obraztsova O. Ранняя предпринимательская активность: объясняющая модель для межстрановых сопоставлений / NRU HSE. Series WP1 "Институциональные проблемы российской экономики". 2011. No. 04.
- Article Chepurenko A. Small entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial activity of population in Russia in the context of economic transformation // Historical Social Research/Historische Sozialforschung. 2010. No. 35 (2). P. 301-319.
- Chapter Chepurenko A. All happy Families are happy in the same Way: Some Remarks concerning Baltic Entrepreneurs and Extended Order, in: Economic Styles in the Process of EU Eastern Enlargement. Baden-Baden : Nomos, 2009. P. 249-255.
Entrepreneurial potential in Russian society: GEM Russia (2006-2008)
Over 10 applied and fundamental research projects implemented in 1990s and 2000s with the support from Russian Foundation for Humanities, TACIS, INTAS, Volkswagen Foundation, Moscow Public Scientific Fund, Ford Foundation, and Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
Chepurenko A. Entrepreneurial activity under ‘transition’. In: Context, Process and gender in Entrepreneurship. Blackburn R., Hytti U., Welter F. (eds.). Elgar, 2015, p.6-22.
HSE staff members were awarded honour awards of the university at the meeting of the Academic Council that was held on December 21.
On October 22, some university staff members were awarded HSE medals and notes of acknowledgement from the Rector.
We continue talking about universities that are alongside HSE in the 51–100 group in various subject areas in the QS ranking. Today we have sociologists speaking about their ‘neighbours in the ranking’.
Springer, one of the world's leading publishers of scientific literature, has launched a new book series, entitled ‘Societies and political orders in transition’. The series has been initiated by the HSE Faculty of Social Sciences, and three HSE representatives are members of the series International Advisory Board, with the other four members coming from universities in Germany, UK and the USA.
On April 29, 2016 at the Academic Council meeting 25 HSE Professors were conferred the status of Tenured Professor.
On March 14th, 2016, an Russian-American seminar on social entrepreneurship and social innovation was held at the Centre for Social Entrepreneurship and Social Innovation Studies. Jeffrey Robinson, Alexandra Moskovskaya, Alexander Chepurenko and several Russian social entrepreneurs took part in the event.
An Agreement of Cooperation between National Research University Higher School of Economics and Freie Universitaet Berlin has been signed ‘to further the effective and mutually beneficial cooperation’.
In the latest issue of ‘Foresight’ (2015, Vol. 9, No 2) consideration is given to the long-term prospects of the market of hybrid cars and nuclear energy, development of entrepreneurship, and the factors behind people's willingness to engage in continuing education; new tools to assess the quality of research are also proposed.
HSE has been officially invited to join the European PhD in Socio-Economic and Statistical Studies (SESS.EuroPhD) Consortium starting from the 2015/2016 academic year. At a recent annual seminar held in Rome, all the participants expressed a strong interest in HSE becoming a full member of the consortium.
The 6th International Summer School ‘Exploring Entrepreneurship’ in Moscow has come to an end. At the school, students from Russian, Dutch, British and other European universities tried to identify the main factors that will influence the future development of small and medium-sized businesses around the world.
Evgeny Yasin: ‘The HSE, the New Economic School and Gaidar Institute Are Restoring Research to the Pre-Revolutionary Level in Russia’
Today, HSE Academic Supervisor Evgeny Yasin celebrates his 80th birthday. The HSE News Service congratulates him, and in honour of the celebration, is publishing an extract from Andrey Kolesnikov’s book ‘Dialogues with Evgeny Yasin’.
On December 12, 2013, the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) presented its report ‘Stuck in Transition?’ at the HSE. The report focuses on post-Soviet and post-socialist countries.
Taking part in major international conferences and getting published in international academic journals is all in a day’s work for students working at the Scientific Laboratory for Research on Entrepreneurship (NULIP) at HSE. We asked Artyom Gudkov, a master’s student at ICEF and member of staff at NULIP to tell us about his work, published in the international peer-reviewed ‘Journal of Chinese Entrepreneurship’.
The 7th International ‘Changing Europe’ Summer School took place at the start of August in Moscow. The event was organized by the Higher School of Economics and the University of Bremen Research Centre for East European Studies.
On May 3rd and 4th 2011, the annual meeting of the Association of Russian Holders of Scholarships from the Chancellor of Germany and an Alexander von Humboldt Foundation seminar. It included a presentation of projects by 2012 scholarship holders.
On March 13th, as part of the visit of a delegation from the School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences (France) (Ecole des autes études en sciences sociales, EHESS) to the HSE, a cooperation agreement was signed between the two universities.
An international Summer school organized by the HSE Laboratory for Entrepreneurship Research and the Netherlands Institute for Knowledge Intensive Entrepreneurship (NIKOS) at the University of Twente (Enschede), the Netherlands, was held this August. Alexander Chepurenko, Academic Supervisor of the Laboratory and Dean of the HSE Faculty of Sociology, told us about this school.