- Deputy Head:Institute for Statistical Studies and Economics of Knowledge / Laboratory for Economics of Innovation
- Department Head, Research Fellow:Institute for Statistical Studies and Economics of Knowledge / Centre for Industrial Market Studies and Business Strategies / Unit for Intellectual Services Market Research
- Nikolai Chichkanov has been at HSE University since 2015.
1. Provide scientific and applied research projects;
2. Develop publications for peer-reviewed journals indexed in the international scientific databases;
3. Present the research results at Russian and international scientific and practical conferences;
4. Develop analytical reports;
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Bachelor's in Economics
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
- HSE Professional Retraining Program 'Modern Approaches in Teaching and Learning' (11 July - 12 August 2023, Moscow, Russia);
- Digital Science Master Class (Webinar) 'Create Your Ideal Paper with Writefull' (19 May 2020, Moscow, Russia);
- HSE Professional Retraining Program 'Information and Data Visualisation. Presentation Development' (April 2020, Moscow, Russia);
- HSE Professional Retraining Program 'Features of the organization of the educational process at HSE: rules and principles, regulatory and methodological issues, the use of information and communication technologies' (24–26 January 2020, Moscow, Russia);
- Clarivate Analytics webinars for researchers 'Information tools for scientific analysis' (19–28 February 2019, Moscow, Russia);
- Clarivate Analytics webinars for researchers 'Information tools for authors of scientific publications' (19–28 February 2019, Moscow, Russia);
- Clarivate Analytics webinars for researchers "Practical recommendations for publication in international journals" (19–28 February 2018, Moscow, Russia);
- Intensive Course on Business Intelligence by visiting lectures from Maastricht University (Basics of Data Analytics in R, 20–24 November 2017, HSE, Moscow, Russia);
- Researcher Connect Workshop (Co-orginised by British Council and HSE Academic Writing Centre). Modules Foundation, Academic Writing, Persuasive Proposals (15–16 November 2017, Moscow, Russia).
Awards and Accomplishments
HSE-funded Scholarship for PhD Students (2020)
RESER Founders’ PhD Award (2019)
Young Faculty Support Program (Group of Young Academic Professionals)
Category "New Researchers" (2018-2019)
Dissertation for a degree of Candidate of Science
- Article Belousova V., Bondarenko O., Chichkanov N., Lebedev D., Miles I. Coping with Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Insights from Digital Business Services // Energies. 2022. Vol. 15. No. 8. Article 2745. doi
- Article Chichkanov N. Patterns of Knowledge-Intensive Business Services Use Across Europe // Foresight and STI Governance. 2022. Vol. 16. No. 1. P. 22-33. doi
- Chapter Belousova V., Chichkanov N., Krayushkina Z., Miles I. Post-industrial, Post-pandemic? The Service Economy in the Wake of COVID-19, in: COVID-19 and Society. Socio-Economic Perspectives on the Impact, Implications, and Challenges / Ed. by M. Polat, S. Burmaoglu, O. Saritas. Cham : Springer, 2022. doi Ch. 6. P. 95-128. doi
- Article Chichkanov N., Miles I. D., Belousova V. Drivers for innovation in KIBS: evidence from Russia // Service Industries Journal. 2021. Vol. 41. No. 7-8. P. 489-511. doi
- Article Miles I. D., Belousova V., Chichkanov N., Krayushkina Z. Knowledge-intensive business services in time of crisis: the coronavirus pandemic // Foresight. 2021. Vol. 23. No. 2. P. 125-153. doi
- Article Chichkanov N. The role of client knowledge absorptive capacity for innovation in KIBS // Journal of Knowledge Management. 2021. Vol. 25. No. 5. P. 1194-1218. doi
- Chapter Belousova V., Solodkov V. M., Chichkanov N., Nikiforova E. Acceptance of New Technologies by Employees in Financial Industry, in: Handbook of Financial Econometrics, Mathematics, Statistics, and Machine Learning (In 4 Volumes). World Scientific, 2020. Ch. 56. P. 2053-2080. doi
- Chapter Belousova V., Chichkanov N. Why do Smartphones and Tablets Users Adopt Mobile Banking, in: Handbook of Financial Econometrics, Mathematics, Statistics, and Machine Learning (In 4 Volumes). World Scientific, 2020. Ch. 71. P. 2461-2483. doi
- Chapter Чичканов Н. Ю., Майлз Я. Д., Белоусова В. Ю. Инновационная активность компаний сектора интеллектуальных услуг в России // В кн.: Сборник материалов III Международной научно-практической конференции «Инновационная экономика и менеджмент: методы и технология» 16-17 мая 2018 г. М. : ООО «Грин Принт», 2020. С. 294-299.
- Chapter Белоусова В. Ю., Солодков В. М., Чичканов Н. Ю., Никифорова Е. А. Применение подрывных технологий финансовыми аналитиками: пример России // В кн.: Сборник материалов III Международной научно-практической конференции «Инновационная экономика и менеджмент: методы и технология» 16-17 мая 2018 г. М. : ООО «Грин Принт», 2020. С. 157-165.
- Preprint Chichkanov N., Miles I. D., Belousova V. Conditions for Innovation in KIBS: Evidence from Russia / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Science, Technology and Innovation". 2019. No. 92/STI/2019.
- Chapter Chichkanov N. Coproduction and Innovation in Knowledge-Intensive Business Services, in: Proceedings of International Forum on Knoweldge Asset Dynamics (IFKAD 2019) "Knowledge Ecosystems and Growth", 5-7 June, Matera, Italy. , 2019. P. 2349-2360.
- Article Miles I. D., Belousova V., Chichkanov N. Knowledge intensive business services: innovation and occupations // Foresight. 2019. Vol. 21. No. 3. P. 377-408. doi
- Preprint Chichkanov N. The Impact of Coproducing Services with Clients on Knowledge-Intensive Business Services' Innovativeness / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Science, Technology and Innovation". 2019. No. 100.
- Article Sabirova D., Belousova V., Krayushkina Z., Lonshchikova Y., Nikiforova E., Chichkanov N. The Role of Human Capital in Science, Technology and Innovation // Foresight and STI Governance. 2019. Vol. 13. No. 2. P. 107-119. doi
- Article Усоскин В. М., Белоусова В. Ю., Чичканов Н. Ю. Мировой опыт организации и финансирования НИОКР на примере США и ЕС // Международные процессы. 2019. Т. 17. № 1. С. 38-61.
- Article Белоусова В. Ю., Краюшкина Ж. П., Манжулин И. А., Солодков В. М., Сухов М. И., Чичканов Н. Ю. Текущее состояние и перспективы развития российских банков // Банковское дело. 2019. № 9. С. 14-23.
- Chapter Belousova V., Chichkanov N. Innovation Modes in Knowledge Intensive Business Services: Evidence from Russia, in: Proceedings of the IFKAD 2016-Dresden, Germany 15-17 June 2016. IFKAD, 2016. P. 2186-2199.
- Article Belousova V., Chichkanov N. Knowledge-Intensive Business Services in Russia: 2014–2015 Crisis Aftermath // Foresight and STI Governance. 2016. Vol. 10. No. 4. P. 46-58. doi
- Article Киселев В. Ю., Чичканов Н. Ю. Зарубежный опыт построения систем индикаторов банковских кризисов // Управление финансовыми рисками. 2016. № 3(47). С. 196-214.
- Preprint Belousova V., Chichkanov N. Mobile Banking Adoption in Russia: What Incentives Matter? / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Science, Technology and Innovation". 2015. No. WP BRP 48/STI/2015 .
- Article Belousova V., Chichkanov N. Mobile Banking in Russia: User Intention towards Adoption // Foresight and STI Governance. 2015. Vol. 9. No. 3. P. 26-39.
Regular Bulletins & Analytical Notes (in Russian)
Analytical Report 'The Adoption of Disruptive Technologies by Financial Analysts: the Case of Russia' (in Russian)
'Digital Economy' series
- № 29 (165) (20.05) Impact of Digital Technologies on Russian KIBS
'Science, Technology and Innovations' series
- № 125 (28.03) The Impact of Financial Technologies on Banking in Russia (in Russian)
- № 56 (21.06) Innovation Activities of the Knowledge-Intensive Business Services Sector Companies: International Comparison
- № 51 (03.05) KIBS development in Russian regions (in Russian)
- № 49 (20.04) Coproduction and Use of KIBS: Customers' View (in Russian)
- № 48 (14.04) KIBS Standardization and Interaction with Customers (in Russian)
- № 28 (16.11) Innovation Activity in KIBS (in Russian)
'Monitoring of KIBS in Russia' series
- № 4 KIBS Expectations About Overcoming the Crisis (in Russian)
- № 3 Crisis Management of Business Risks in Russian KIBS (in Russian)
- № 2 Coproduction and Use of KIBS (in Russian)
- № 1 KIBS Strategies During Economic Turbulence (in Russian)
Conrerences & Workshops Presentations
- International Academic Symposium ‘Foresight and Science, Technology and Innovation Policy’ in the framework of XXIV Yasin (April) International Academic Conference (13-14 April 2023, online).
Presentation: Innovation and ESG Modes in High-Tech Companies;
- Round Table for Early-Career Researchers ‘Knowledge-Intensive Services: New Directions (practice and research)’ (07 April 2022, online).
Presentation: What can we say about the levels and intensities of KIBS use across sectors?;
- 30th RESER International Congress Value Co-creation and Innovation in the New Service Economy (21-22 January 2021, virtual).
Presentation: The Role of KIBS-Client Interactions and Related Knowledge for Innovation in KIBS;
- Trapeznikov Institute of Control Sciences of Russian Academy of Sciences (ISC RAS) Moscow Seminar ‘Expert Assessments and Data Analysis’ (10 June 2020, online).
Presentation: Client Knowledge as a Factor of KIBS innovation activity;
- XXIX International RESER Conference 2019 (12–14 September 2019, Ceuta, Spain). Presentation: Service and Knowledge Coproduction as an Innovation Driver in Knowledge-intensive Business Services;
- International Forum on Knowledge Asset Dynamics (IFKAD–2019) (05–07 June 2019, Matera, Italy). Presentation: Сoproduction and Innovation in Knowledge-Intensive Busienss Services;
- Symposium 'Foresight and Science, Technology and Innovation Policy' (framework of XX April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development) (10–12 April 2019, Moscow, Russia). Presentation: Drivers for Innovation in KIBS: Evidence from Russia;
- III International Scientific and Practical Conference 'Innovative Economics and Management: Methods and Technologies' (16–17 May, 2018, Moscow, Russia). Presentation: Innovation activity of KIBS in Russia;
- XIX April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development (10–13 April, Moscow, Russia). Presentation: Innovation activity of KIBS in Russia;
- Second World Congress of Comparative Economics '1917–2017: Revolution and Evolution in Economic Development' (15–17 June, St. Petersburg, Russia). Presentation: Composing the Financial Stress Index for the Assessment of the Banking Sector Stability;
- XVII April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development (19–22 April, 2016, Moscow, Russia). Presentation: Incentives to Use Mobile Banking in Russia.
Study of the adaptation mechanisms of the innovation actors to crisis shocks and post-crisis conditions (HSE Program of Fundamental Studies, 2021)
An empirical study of the framework conditions for innovation in manufacturing, knowledge intensive business services and creative industries (HSE Program of Fundamental Studies, 2021)
Study of the activity of innovation process actors: strategies, network interactions, institutions (HSE Program of Fundamental Studies, 2020)
Study of Moscow creative industries (Moscow City Government, 2019–2020)
Study of the activity of innovation process actors: applying new methodological approaches (HSE Program of Fundamental Studies, 2019)
Monitoring behavior of innovation actors: innovation activity of knowledge-intensive business services firms; innovation patterns of highly skilled R&D personnel (HSE Program of Fundamental Studies, 2019)
Applied Research Project 'Analysis of the activities of Russian Television and Radio Broadcasting Network compared to international peers in the field of digital broadcasting' (Russian Television and Radio Broadcasting Network, 2018)
The development of the system for the forecasting of perspective markets, technologies and competencies for the sustainable innovative develoment of one of the leading Russian banks in a mid-term and long-term period (2018)
Study of the activity of innovation process actors: development of the theoretical framework and methodological approaches (HSE Program of Fundamental Studies, 2018)
Development of theoretical and methodological approaches to studying activities of innovation process participants (HSE Program of Fundamental Studies, 2017)
Monitoring knowledge-intensive business services in Russia: functions and roles in the innovation process (HSE Program of Fundamental Studies, 2016)
Teacher-Student Team Research Project 'The Development Of A System Of Models For The Management Of Credit Risk In Banking Under The Pressure Of Financial Instability' (HSE Academic Fund Programme, 2016)
Since 2019 Unit for Intellectual Services Market Research, ISSEK HSE, research fellow
2016–2019 Unit for Intellectual Services Market Research, ISSEK HSE, research assistant
The HSE Institute for Statistical Studies and Economics of Knowledge analysed the KIBS firms’ demand for digital technologies and the impact of their adoption on business activity. Top management survey results have shown that about 50% of the companies use big data analysis tools, and only 5.4% implement Virtual and Augmented Reality technologies. About 80% of KIBS firms applied different types of digital tools to optimise business process-es and increase competitiveness even before their massive development during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Institute for Statistical Studies and Economics of Knowledge of the Higher School of Economics (ISSEK HSE) presents 2019 survey results regarding the usage of remote work and online training practices across KIBS companies in Russia. The survey results indicate that Russian KIBS companies have been actively adopting remote work practices, online training and cooperation with customers even before the worsening of the epidemiological situation.
The new issue of the Foresight and STI Governance journal is devoted to the impact of technological progress on employment prospects and the development of competencies. This problem is viewed from the perspective of employees, companies and regions.
A number of events happened in late October — early November, important to HSE ISSEK members who combine their work with postgraduate studies (or did, or are about to begin).
The special issue of the Foresight and STI Governance journal covers various aspects of innovation entrepreneurship in transition economies
The HSE ISSEK experts compared data about the application of technological, marketing, and organisational innovations by the Russian knowledge-intensive business services sector (KIBS) companies with relevant figures for European countries such as the UK, Germany, Denmark, Malta, the Netherlands, and Switzerland. The results are presented in the latest newsletter in the "Science, Technology, and Innovation" series.
The new issue of Foresight and STI Governance (2016, vol. 10, No. 4) presents the results of Russian-based studies to assess import substitution prospects, discuss the current state of the knowledge-intensive business services sector, and looks at the impact of fixed-term employment contracts on companies’ innovation activities. Furthermore, international experts share their methodological recommendations on boosting the effectiveness of European innovation policy, and designing technology development strategies.