- Director:Anti-Corruption Centre
- Alexey Konov has been at HSE University since 2007.
2019 – present
HSE University – Anti-Corruption Center Director
2014 – 2019
RANEPA – Director of Anti-Corruption Education and Research Center
2010 – 2014
HSE University – Head of Civil Service Management Department
|2005 – 2013||HSE University – Senior Lecturer in Anti-Corruption Policy|
Membership in National Working Groups, Commissions
- Expert Council under the President’s Anti-Corruption Directorate
- Expert Council under the Government of the Russian Federation
- Expert Council under the Chairman of the Accounts Chamber of the Russian Federation
Interdisciplinary Council for the Coordination of the Scientific and Methodological Support of Anti-Corruption Activities
Member of National Working Groups, Commissions:
- President’s Anti-Corruption Directorate
- Central Bank of the Russian Federation
- Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation
- Pension Fund of the Russian Federation
- ROSTEC Corporation
2019 – present
Chairperson of the IACA Board of Governors
2018 – present
Representative of the Russian Federation in the G20 Anti-Corruption Working Group
Young Faculty Support Program (Group of Young Academic Professionals)
Category "New Lecturers" (2009-2010)
For the last 6 years, has overseen development and implementation of various advanced anti-corruption training programs, including:
- “Functions of anti-corruption units of federal government bodies”;
- “Organizing corruption prevention at regional level”;
- “Anti-corruption” for employees of the Bank of Russia;
- “Combatting corruption in state corporations, state companies, public law companies”;
- “Combatting corruption in organizations under the Government of the Russian Federation”;
- “Combatting corruption in organizations under the federal government bodies”;
- “Legal and organizational aspects of corruption prevention” for employees of the Pension Fund of Russia.
Legislative Drafting and Guidelines Development
Participated in drafting key Russian anti-corruption legislation, including:
- Federal Law of 25.12.2008 No. 273-FZ «On combating corruption» with amendments
- Federal Law of 03.12.2012 No. 230-FZ “On monitoring the conformity of expenses of persons holding public office and other persons with their income”
- National Anti-corruption plans, e.g. National anti-corruption plan for 2018-2020"
Took part in preparation of official guidelines to anti-corruption legislation, including:
- Income and asset disclosure guidelines;
- Guide on implementing corruption prevention measures in organizations;
- Corruption risk assessment guidelines;
- Guidelines on managing typical conflict of interest in the public service.
- Guidelines on sanctioning public servants for non-compliance with anti-corruption prohibitions and restrictions
Research and Consulting
Participated in more than 100 research and consulting projects for government agencies and private companies on various anti-corruption issues, including:
- Anti-corruption in public procurement;
- Anti-corruption restrictions and obligations for public office holders and public servants;
- Preventing, detecting and managing conflict of interest in the public service;
- Income and assets disclosure and verification procedure for public office holders and public servants;
- Post-employment restrictions for public office holders and public servants;
- Anti-corruption agencies at regional level;
- Corruption risk assessment in government agencies and SOEs;
- Corruption prevention measures for private companies;
- Monitoring and measuring effectiveness of anti-corruption reforms.
- Book Конов А. В., Маскалева О. С., Горбачева Н. С. Служебные разоблачения и защита заявителей: опыт США, Великобритании и Канады / Рук.: А. В. Конов. [б.и.], 2018.
- Article Конов А. В., Яковлев А. А. Антикоррупционное декларирование в России: существующие проблемы и возможные подходы к реформированию // Вопросы государственного и муниципального управления. 2013. № 1. С. 5-27.
- Book Конов А. В., Яковлев А. А. О развитии системы антикоррупционного декларирования в России. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2012. (in press)
- Book Оболонский А. В., Барабашев А. Г., Январев В. А., Конов А. В., Клименко А. В., Клищ Н. Н., Краснов М. А., Гаврилов Д. А., Гудошников Л. М., Капаров С. Г., Абросимова Е. Б., Штатина М. А. Государственная служба: комплексный подход / Рук.: А. В. Оболонский, А. Г. Барабашев; отв. ред.: А. В. Оболонский. М. : Дело, 2009.
- Chapter Оболонский А. В., Капаров С. Г., Клименко А. В., Январев В. А., Барабашев А. Г., Краснов М. А., Конов А. В. Правовые основы государственной службы в современной России // В кн.: Государственная служба: комплексный подход / Рук.: А. В. Оболонский, А. Г. Барабашев; отв. ред.: А. В. Оболонский. М. : Дело, 2009. Гл. 2. С. 144-158.
- Article Конов А. В. Прозрачность и дисциплина: происхождение принципа прозрачности государственной власти в контексте идей М. Фуко. // Вестник Московского университета. Серия 21: Управление (государство и общество). 2005. № 3. С. 50-69.
The Centre, headed by Alexey Konov, will be engaged in research and analytical and consulting activities in the field of anti-corruption, as well as in programmes of continuing education intended for state and municipal employees in particular.
Head of the civil service directorate of the Institute of Public and Municipal Management of NRU HSE Alexei Konov, a most welcome guest at the studio of Radio Russia, speaks about the declaration of income and expenses by civil servants.
Aleksei KONOV: There have been two substantial attempts to move civil servants to declare their expenses and income. The first was the reform of 1997-98, when two presidential decrees came into force on the procedure for submitting information on income, property and property-based obligations, plus a decree on the verification of this information. The second was the decrees, adopted in 2008-09; there were several decrees on the procedure for providing information and two decrees on verification. And now the third attempt is unfolding before our very eyes - additional reform, or post-reform. This attempt to adopt a law on control over expenses could at last, perhaps, balance the expenses and the income of civil servants, although in itself this is not very likely.
On 13 September the Higher School of Economics presented the report On development of an anti-corruption declaration system in Russia, prepared using research conducted at the HSE Institute of Public and Municipal Management.
Discussion of the report involved representatives of the Presidential Administration, the Government Office, key ministries and departments, the Accounts Chamber, the relevant committees of the State Duma and Federation Council, and expert and business communities.
Head of the civil service directorate of the Institute of Public and Municipal Management of the NRU HSE Alexei KONOV told Kommersant correspondent Irina GRANIK what is still missing in the Russian system for public servants to declare their income.
In theory, the requirement for officials to publish declarations of their income and assets is a good way to keep bureaucrats in check. In practice, this turns out as a mere publicity stunt with questionable informative value.
Alexei Kononov, head of the public service management department of IPAMM at the Higher School of Economics, answers questions from the Expert journal.