- Director:Anti-Corruption Centre
- Alexey Konov has been at HSE University since 2007.
2019 – present
HSE University – Anti-Corruption Center Director
2014 – 2019
RANEPA – Director of Anti-Corruption Education and Research Center
2010 – 2014
HSE University – Head of Civil Service Management Department
2005 – 2013
HSE University – Senior Lecturer in Anti-Corruption Policy
Membership in Working Groups, Commissions
2014 – present — Member of the President’s Anti-Corruption Directorate Expert Council
2014 – present — Member of the Russian Government Expert Council
Member of Conflict of Interest Commissions in the following public institutions:
- President’s Anti-Corruption Directorate,
- Central Bank of the Russian Federation,
- Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation,
- ROSTEC Corporation
2019 – present
Chairperson of the IACA Board of Governors
2018 – present
Representative of the Russian Federation in the G20 Anti-Corruption Working Group
Young Faculty Support Program (Group of Young Academic Professionals)
Category "New Lecturers" (2009-2010)
As a director of the RANEPA Anti-Corruption Education and Research Center has been in charge of key anti-corruption training programs for public officials and SOEs’ employees, including:
- The only centralized anti-corruption training program for public office holders and senior officials of the federal government agencies «Corruption: causes, ramifications, prevention”.
- The most large-scale in-depth training program for anti-corruption specialists in government agencies “Functions and responsibilities of corruption prevention units within federal government agencies”.
A plethora of training programs for anti-corruption specialists at regional level as well as top executives and employees of state corporations and other SOEs.
Legislative Work and Methodological Support
Participated in drafting key Russian anti-corruption legislation, including:
- Federal Law of 25.12.2008 N273-FZ «On combating corruption»
The core piece of the Russian anti-corruption legislation, establishing principles, approaches and specific tools.
- Federal Law of 05.10.2015 N285-FZ
The Law introduced public office holders’ obligation to prevent and manage conflicts of interest as well as significantly amended the legal definitions of “conflict of interests”.
- Federal Law of 21.11.2011 N329-FZ
The Law imposed anti-corruption restrictions and obligations on public office holders.
- Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of 01.04.2016 N 147 «On National Anti-Corruption Plan 2016-2017».
Took part in preparation of official guidelines to key anti-corruption legislation, including:
- Income and Asset Disclosure Guidelines;
- Guide on Implementing Corruption Prevention Measures in Organizations;
- Corruption Risk Assessment Guidelines;
- Guidelines on Managing Typical Conflict of Interest Situations in the Public Service.
Research and Consulting
Participated in more than 100 research and consulting projects for government agencies and private companies on various anti-corruption issues, including:
- Anti-corruption restrictions and obligations for public office holders and public servants;
- Preventing, detecting and managing conflict of interest in the public service;
- Income and assets disclosure and verification procedure for public office holders and public servants;
- Post-employment restrictions for public office holders and public servants;
- Anti-corruption agencies at regional level;
- ·Corruption risk assessment in government agencies and SOEs;
- Corruption prevention measures for private companies;
- Monitoring and measuring effectiveness of anti-corruption reforms.
- Book Конов А. В., Маскалева О. С., Горбачева Н. С. Служебные разоблачения и защита заявителей: опыт США, Великобритании и Канады / Рук.: А. В. Конов. [б.и.], 2018.
- Article Конов А. В., Яковлев А. А. Антикоррупционное декларирование в России: существующие проблемы и возможные подходы к реформированию // Вопросы государственного и муниципального управления. 2013. № 1. С. 5-27.
- Book Конов А. В., Яковлев А. А. О развитии системы антикоррупционного декларирования в России. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2012. (in press)
- Book Оболонский А. В., Барабашев А. Г., Январев В. А., Конов А. В., Клименко А. В., Клищ Н. Н., Краснов М. А., Гаврилов Д. А., Гудошников Л. М., Капаров С. Г., Абросимова Е. Б., Штатина М. А. Государственная служба: комплексный подход / Рук.: А. В. Оболонский, А. Г. Барабашев; отв. ред.: А. В. Оболонский. М. : Дело, 2009.
- Chapter Оболонский А. В., Капаров С. Г., Клименко А. В., Январев В. А., Барабашев А. Г., Краснов М. А., Конов А. В. Правовые основы государственной службы в современной России // В кн.: Государственная служба: комплексный подход / Рук.: А. В. Оболонский, А. Г. Барабашев; отв. ред.: А. В. Оболонский. М. : Дело, 2009. Гл. 2. С. 144-158.
- Article Конов А. В. Прозрачность и дисциплина: происхождение принципа прозрачности государственной власти в контексте идей М. Фуко. // Вестник Московского университета. Серия 21: Управление (государство и общество). 2005. № 3. С. 50-69.
The Centre, headed by Alexey Konov, will be engaged in research and analytical and consulting activities in the field of anti-corruption, as well as in programmes of continuing education intended for state and municipal employees in particular.
Head of the civil service directorate of the Institute of Public and Municipal Management of NRU HSE Alexei Konov, a most welcome guest at the studio of Radio Russia, speaks about the declaration of income and expenses by civil servants.
Aleksei KONOV: There have been two substantial attempts to move civil servants to declare their expenses and income. The first was the reform of 1997-98, when two presidential decrees came into force on the procedure for submitting information on income, property and property-based obligations, plus a decree on the verification of this information. The second was the decrees, adopted in 2008-09; there were several decrees on the procedure for providing information and two decrees on verification. And now the third attempt is unfolding before our very eyes - additional reform, or post-reform. This attempt to adopt a law on control over expenses could at last, perhaps, balance the expenses and the income of civil servants, although in itself this is not very likely.
On 13 September the Higher School of Economics presented the report On development of an anti-corruption declaration system in Russia, prepared using research conducted at the HSE Institute of Public and Municipal Management.
Discussion of the report involved representatives of the Presidential Administration, the Government Office, key ministries and departments, the Accounts Chamber, the relevant committees of the State Duma and Federation Council, and expert and business communities.
Head of the civil service directorate of the Institute of Public and Municipal Management of the NRU HSE Alexei KONOV told Kommersant correspondent Irina GRANIK what is still missing in the Russian system for public servants to declare their income.
In theory, the requirement for officials to publish declarations of their income and assets is a good way to keep bureaucrats in check. In practice, this turns out as a mere publicity stunt with questionable informative value.
Alexei Kononov, head of the public service management department of IPAMM at the Higher School of Economics, answers questions from the Expert journal.