- Senior Lecturer:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / School of Arts and Humanities / Department of History
- Pavel Vasilyev has been at HSE University since 2019.
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Master's in History
Central European University
Degree in History
Saint Petersburg State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
2017–2019 — Van Leer Jerusalem Institute (Israel), postdoctoral fellowship
2014–2016 — Max Planck Institute for Human Development (Germany), postdoctoral fellowship
Young Faculty Support Program (Group of Young Academic Professionals)
Category "New Lecturers" (2020)
- Chapter Vasilyev P. The Power of Positionality? Researching Russian History from the Margins, in: Reading Russian Sources: A Student's Guide to Text and Visual Sources from Russian History. Routledge, 2020. Ch. 3. P. 49-58.
- Article Vasilyev P. A Revolutionary Feeling of Justice? Emotion and Legal Judgment in Late Imperial and Early Soviet Russia // Oñati Socio-Legal Series, Spain. 2019. Vol. 9. No. 5. P. 596-615. doi
- Chapter Vasilyev P., Vidor G. M. Prisoners: Experiencing the Criminal Other, in: Encounters with Emotions: Negotiating Cultural Differences since Early Modernity. NY : Berghahn Books, 2019. P. 184-206.
- Chapter Vasilyev P. Reassessing the ‘Drug-Free’ Country: Drug Abuse, the Soviet State, and Contemporary Russian Drug Policy, in: Prohibitions and Psychoactive Substances in History, Culture and Theory. L. : Routledge, 2019. Ch. 7.
- Article Vasilyev P. Crime and Punishment in the Russian Revolution: Mob Justice and Police in Petrograd // Social History. 2018. Vol. 43. No. 4. P. 547-549.
- Article Vasilyev P. Drug Addiction and the Practice of Public Health in Late Imperial and Early Soviet Russia // Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo Universiteta, Istoriya. 2018. Vol. 63. No. 4. P. 1100-1119. doi
- Chapter Vasilyev P. Flirting With the Market: The Early Soviet Government and the Private Provision of Health Care, 1917-1932, in: Health, Technologies, and Politics in Post-Soviet Settings: Navigating Uncertainties. L. : Palgrave Macmillan, 2018. doi P. 37-61. doi
- Article Vasilyev P. Sex and Drugs and Revolutionary Justice: Negotiating ‘Female Criminality’ in the Early Soviet Courtroom // Journal of Social Policy Studies. 2018. Vol. 16. No. 2. P. 341-354. doi
- Article Vasilyev P. Beyond Dispassion: Emotions and Judicial Decision-Making in Modern Europe // Rechtsgeschichte - Legal History. Journal of the Max Planck Institute for European Legal History. 2017. Vol. 25. P. 277-285. doi
- Article Vasilyev P. Revolutionary Conscience, Remorse and Resentment: Emotions and Early Soviet Criminal Law, 1917-1922 // Historical Research. 2017. Vol. 90. No. 247. P. 117-133. doi
- Article Vasilyev P. Vodka Politics: Alcohol, Autocracy, and the Secret History of the Russian State // History. 2017. Vol. 102. No. 351. P. 506-507.
2020-2021 - "Ending Period Poverty in Scotland: A Historical and International Perspective" (with Bettina Bildhauer et al.) - RSE Arts & Humanities Research Grant (£20.000 total), Royal Society of Edinburgh (RSE)
2018 – 2021 - "Balancing Knowledge Reliability and Ethical Acceptability in Clinical Trials: From Emergence of a Randomized Controlled Trial to Precision Medicine" (with Olga Zvonareva et al.) - Early Career Researcher Program Grant under the Presidential Program of Research Projects (12.22 million Russian rubles total), Russian Science Foundation (RSF)