Ronald F. Inglehart
- Member of the Council:HSE International Expert Council on priority area of development ‘Sociology’
- Academic Supervisor:Laboratory for Comparative Social Research
- Ronald F. Inglehart has been at HSE since 2010.
Education and Degrees
University of Chicago
Doctor of Sciences*
University of Chicago
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
- Chapter Вельцель К. П., Инглхарт Р. Ф. Политическая культура, массовые убеждения и изменения ценностей // В кн.: Демократизация / (под ред.: М. Г. Миронюк); науч. ред.: К. П. Вельцель, Р. Ф. Инглхарт, П. Бернхаген, К. Хэрпфер. Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2015. С. 233-261.
- Article Inglehart R. F., Borinskaya S., Cotter A., Harro J., Inglehart R. C., Ponarin E., Welzel C. Genetic Factors, Cultural Predispositions, Happiness and Gender Equality // Journal of Research in Gender Studies. 2014. Vol. 4. P. 32-100.
- Article Инглхарт Р. Ф., Понарин Э. Д., Равлик М. В. Регрессионные модели в оценке факторов международной миграции // СоцИс. 2014. № 11. С. 23-33.
- Article Inglehart R. F., Diener I., Tay L. Theory and Validity of Life Satisfaction Scales // Social Indicators Research. 2013. Vol. 112. P. 497-527.
- Preprint Inglehart R. F., Foa R., Ponarin E., Welzel C. UNDERSTANDING THE RUSSIAN MALAISE: THE COLLAPSE AND RECOVERY OF SUBJECTIVE WELL-BEING IN POST-COMMUNIST RUSSIA / Working papers by Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP 32/SOC/2013 "BASIC RESEARCH PROGRAM WORKING PAPERS SERIES: SOCIOLOGY". 2013.
- Article Инглхарт Р. Ф., Карабчук Т. С., Моисеев С. П., Никитина М. В. Международные научно-исследовательские лаборатории в России: субъективная и объективная оценка результативности // Форсайт. 2013. Т. 7. № 4. С. 44-59.
- Book Инглхарт Р. Ф., Циммерман У., Понарин Э. Д., Лазарев Е. А., Соколов Б. О., Вартанова И. А., Туранова Е. Г. Российская элита-2020. Аналитический доклад грантополучателей Международного дискуссионного клуба «Валдай» / Пер. с англ. М. : Международный Дискуссионный клуб "Валдай", 2013.
- Chapter Inglehart R. F. Modernization and democracy, in: Democracy versus Modernization: a dilemma for Russia and for the world / Науч. ред.: V. L. Inozemtsev, P. Dutkiewicz. NY : Routledge, 2012.
- Article Norris P., Inglehart R. F. Muslim Integration into Western Cultures: Between Origins and Destinations // Political Studies. 2012. Vol. 60. No. 2. P. 228-251.
- Article Вельцель К. П., Инглхарт Р. Ф., Александер Э., Понарин Э. Д. Распутывание связей между культурой и институтами на примере эмансипации человечества // Журнал социологии и социальной антропологии. 2012. Т. XV. № 4 (63). С. 12-43.
- Book Инглхарт Р. Ф., Вельцель К. П. Модернизация, культурные изменения и демократия. Последовательность человеческого развития. М. : Новое издательство, 2011.
- Article Inglehart R. F., Welzel C. Agency, Values, and Well-Being: A Human Development Model // Social Indicators Research. 2010. No. 97. P. 43-63.
- Article Инглхарт Р. Ф., Вельцель К. П. Changing Mass Priorities: The Link between Modernization and Democracy // Perspectives on Politics. 2010. № 8(2). С. 551-567.
- Article Inglehart R. F., Welzel C. Values, Agency, and Well-Being: A Human Development Model // Social Indicators Research. 2010. No. 97(1). P. 43-63.
- Book Inglehart R. F., Norris P. Cosmopolitan Communications: Cultural Diversity in a Globalized World. NY : Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Article Inglehart R. F. Changing Values among Western Publics from 1970 to 2006 // West European Politics. 2008. No. 31. P. 130-146.
- Article Welzel C., Inglehart R. F., Peterson C., Foa R. Development, Freedom and Rising Happiness: A Global Perspective 1981-2007 // Perspectives on Psychological Science. 2008. Vol. 3. No. 4. P. 264-285.
- Article Welzel C., Inglehart R. F. Democratization as the Growth of Freedom: The Human Development Perspective // Japanese Journal of Political Science. 2005. No. 6(3). P. 1-31.
- Article Inglehart R. F., Welzel C. Exploring the Unknown: Predicting the Responses of Publics not yet Surveyed // International Review of Sociology. 2005. Vol. 15. No. 1
- Book Inglehart R. F., Norris P. Sacred and Secular: Religion and Politics Worldwide. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Book Inglehart R. F. Modernization and Postmodernization: Cultural, Economic and Political Change in 43 Societies. Princeton : Princeton University Press, 1997.
- Book Inglehart R. F. Culture Shift in Advanced Industrial Society. Princeton : Princeton University Press, 1990.
It is five years since the HSE began setting up international laboratories. HSE’s Deputy Vice-Rector, Marina Litvintseva, Head of Laboratory for Algebraic Geometry, Fedor Bogomolov, and Ronald Inglehart and Eduard Ponarin from HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research reflect on the results of the work conducted last year and on the achievements of the laboratories.
A week-long training methodological workshop 'Economic and Social Changes: values effects across Eurasia' on advanced quantitative methods in comparative studies took place in April. The workshop was jointly organized by the Eurasia Business and Economics Society (EBES), Turkey, and HSE's Laboratory for Comparative Social Research. The workshop included presentations by the members of LCSR and EBES, series of practical workshops, as well as reports of the participants.
Why do people become researchers and pursue careers in science? What is more important for them – self-fulfillment or financial incentives? On the day before Russia celebrated Science Day on Feb 8, HSE’s news service talked to researchers working at HSE about what motivated them to become scientists.
MA Comparative Social Research student shares her impressions on attending the conference
On November 10-15, the IV International Conference ‘Cultural and Economic Changes in a Comparative Perspective’ took place in St. Petersburg. Organized by HSE’s Laboratory for Comparative Social Research, the conference has traditionally brought together Russian and foreign scholars working on issues of values, trust, social capital, corruption and inequality in a changing world, as well as the role of religion in political activity and other social issues in Russia and other countries.
From November 10 to 14, the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research’s (LCSR NRU HSE) 4th International Annual Research Conference ‘Cultural and Economic changes under cross-national perspective’ will take place in St. Petersburg. The programme includes dozens of themed sessions on current social, political and economic problems, and lectures by the world’s leading sociologists.
5th September is the 80th birthday of the outstanding sociologist and political scientist Ronald Inglehart, Academic Supervisor of the HSE’s International Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR).
The fourth HSE LCSR summer school on Categorical Data Analysis is over. This year 40 young academics from universities and research centres in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Italy, Germany, Poland, Romania, Israel and the USA took part.
From 29 June to 12 July the HSE Laboratory of Comparative Social Research is holding the Fourth International Summer School on Categorical Data Analysis in Zelenogorsk in the suburbs of St Petersburg. This year academics have come both from the Russian regions and from abroad — CIS, Germany, Israel, Romania and the USA.
The conference opens on the 1st April 2014 at the HSE with the participation of the World Bank and the IMF. The Deputy Chairman of the Conference Programme Committee Andrei Yakovlev spoke about some of the key sessions, lectures and seminars to look out for.
A new English-taught master’s programme at the HSE, ‘International Master in Comparative Social Research’, will allow students to acquire the knowledge and skills that are in demand on the global market for social research. Applications are due by May 31, 2014.
Professor Hermann Dülmer, University of Cologne: ‘I find cooperation with the HSE highly attractive both, for methodological and substantive reasons ’
Laboratory for Comparative Social Research of the National Research University Higher School of Economics has organized the 3d LCSR Summer School on “Multilevel Confirmatory Factor Analysis (MCFA) and Multilevel Structural Equation Modeling (MSEM) in MPLUS”. The main course in the LCSR Summer school will be held by professor Hermann Dülmer. The HSE news portal asked Professor Dülmer to tell us about his plans for the LCRS Summer School and about how he first got involved with the HSE.
One of the HSE’s applications was a winner at the third competition to attract leading researchers to Russian universities. The competition was held by Decree No. 220 of the Government of the Russian Federation. A new Laboratory of Mathematical Finance at the HSE will be headed by Yury Kabanov, Professor at the University of Franche-Comté (Besançon).
‘Economics and Geography’ was the topic of the 12th Annual Conference of the series of Leontief Readings which took place from February 15-16, 2013, at the Leontief Centre with the support of the Saint Petersburg government. Theoreticians and empirical researchers looked for answers related to the spatial development of cities, regional inequality and transport.
The HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research summer school on ‘Causal models and structural equations’ has just finished in Zelenogorsk. The Laboratory director, Eduard Ponarin, shared his impressions about the school and told us about the LCSR’s plans for developing the school...
On November 25th a reporting conference of the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR) on ‘Comparative Sociology in Quantitative Perspective’ was held at the HSE.
Ronald Inglehart, Academic Supervisor of the Laboratory for Comparative Social Research at the HSE Branch in Saint-Petersburg, has been acknowledged by the experts of ‘Russian Reporter’ magazine as one of the 100 the most authoritative people in Russia in 2011 – in the category ‘Scientists’, ‘for his willingness to become a Russian scientist’.
On October 3rd Jacques-Francois Thisse, Professor of Economics and Regional Science at the Université catholique de Louvain (Belgium) gave a press conference at the Higher School of Economics.
In late August 2011, the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR) carried out its first international summer school in Russia. This was dedicated to statistical methods of analysis in sociology, and particularly, multilevel analysis. Eduard Ponarin, Head of the LCSR and Professor at the Saint-Petersburg branch of the HSE, told us about more about this school.
Ronald Inglehart, Professor at the University of Michigan and Academic Supervisor of the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research, and Pippa Norris, Professor in political science at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, have both won the Johan Skytte Prize in Political Science. The awards ceremony took place on September 24th at the University of Uppsala, Sweden.
On September 21st the Russian Government Grant Council announced the names of the winners of the second open competition for Russian Government grants for state support of scientific research conducted under the supervision of leading scientists in Russian universities. Among the 39 winners were two applications from the Higher School of Economics.