About the Programme
The HSE-NES Joint programme in economics brings together some of the best minds in Russia. Our students are exceptionally talented and determined to pursue degrees in economics. Since 2011, two-thirds of the winners of the All-Russia High School Competition in Economics – who were, by law, guaranteed admission to any undergraduate programme in economics in Russia – have chosen the HSE-NES Joint programme. Thus, we provide an unrivaled opportunity to network and make friends with the future intellectual leaders of Russia. The programme provides an individual and flexible approach to each and every student through small class sizes and frequent interactions between students and faculty including advising, tutoring, and supervising students’ independent research. Our faculty are focused not only on students’ learning, but also on the development of their personal and social skills. Especially important are critical thinking and communication skills. The HSE-NES Joint Programme has the same liberal arts orientation as the leading American and European universities. The programme offers a wide range of courses in economics, mathematics, social sciences, humanities, and natural sciences. In addition, the faculty includes established experts in these disciplines. About 20% of alumni is accepted to graduate programs at top Western universities.
Distinctive features of the programme
- The programme offers not only economic courses, but also a wide range of courses in other social sciences, humanities and mathematics.
- More than half of the curriculum is made up of elective courses, which makes it possible to create an individual training programme that focuses on the interests and needs of the student.
- Training takes place in small groups and there is the possibility of constant contact with professors, including through regular individual counselling.
- The curriculum features no more than five courses per semester, although each of them provides a large amount of independent work - reading, written assignments, and extracurricular group work.
- Emphasis is placed on developing students’ communication skills. These skills will be developed both as part of a common curriculum and during special workshops and tutorials conducted by the NES Writing and Communication Center.
- Beginning in the second year there is training in two languages (Russian and English) and academic exchanges with leading foreign universities.
- The first group of students of the joint programme started studying in September 2011
- Graduates of the joint programme will receive two diplomas: of the New Economic School (NES) and the Higher School of Economics (HSE)
- By today the programme has 209 alumni
- 29 of all programme alumni were enrolled in the best PhD programmes, such as New York University, Yale University, Stanford University GSB, Columbia University, Harvard university and other.
- Our alumni work at JPMorgan Chase & Co, Morgan Stanley, Gazprombank, Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse Bank, Citi Bank, Raiffeisen Bank, Boston Consulting Group, Oliver Wyman, Ernst & Young, McKinsey & Company, KPMG, Roland Berger Strategy Consultants, Yandex and other places.
Principles of the joint BA programme
High quality of education
- Students of the joint BA programme are taught by the most qualified professors in Russia.
- There are no more than five courses per semester, but each of them requires a large volume of self-study – reading, writing assignments, and group projects.
- Graduates of the joint programme will be able to communicate freely and clearly in Russian and in English. They will also be trained in public speaking, discussions, writing essays, articles, etc.
- All these skills are acquired by students in class as well as through participation in workshops and individual tutoring sessions conducted by the Writing and Communications Center at NES. WCC is the first center of its kind at any Russian university.
- By the end of the second year of study students of the joint programme are able to communicate, read, participate in classes and write in English.
- Students of the joint programme are able to participate in academic exchanges with the leading universities abroad.
- There is zero tolerance for cheating, plagiarism and any work that the student has not put effort into. Successful completion of the joint programme may only be achieved through hard work.