Memory and Motor Control Group
Research interests of our group span from motor control to memory domains: motor imagery, action observation, real movement, visuomotor processes, working memory, long term memory. We use multiple approaches such as behavioral, Non Invasive Brain Stimulation (NIBS), Electroencephalography (EEG), Functional Magnetic Resonance (fMRI), and genetic testing (BDNF) to investigate neural network of motor and memory processes. Specifically we are interested in neuroenhancement by NIBS which aims to induce facilitatory effects on cortical excitability and behavior by stimulation of a specific cortical area or network (e.g. phase coupling stimulation by tACS).
Project 1: Working memory and long term memory by NIBS
Functional mapping of working and long-term (associative) memory by NIBS. A project that aims to test the causal role of key brain regions (prefrontal cortices, medial temporal lobe) involved in episodic and retrieval memory processes as well as prefrontal and parietal cortices in working memory tasks.
In a sub-part of the project we will use tACS stimulation to interact with the endogenous oscillatory activity during a Working memory (WM) task. The goal of the project is to discover general principles of how oscillations can modulate stability of retention both in a WM task but also in simple computational WM models. This project is in collaboration with Prof. Boris Gutkin.
Project 2: Genetic Influence on cortical plasticity by NIBS.
A project that will test different polymorphisms influence on cortical plasticity changes of the motor and memory systems.
Project 3: Effects of different type of TES waveform and/or time of stimulation on the brain cortex.
A methodological project that aims to understand online/offline effects, high definition and conventional montage and different influence of waveform by different type of Transcranial Electrical Stimulation.
Project 4: Effects of tACS and/or tDCS on the sensorimotor system.
Investigation of the mirror system by learning processes influence: a TMS study.
- Galli G, Vadillo MA, Sirota M, Feurra M, Medvedeva A. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) on episodic memory. Brain Stimul. 2018 Nov 17. pii: S1935-861X(18)30374-7. doi: 10.1016/j.brs.2018.11.008. [Epub ahead of print] Review. PubMed PMID: 30503376.
- Lanina AA, Feurra M, Gorbunova ES. No Effect of the Right Posterior Parietal Cortex tDCS in Dual-Target Visual Search. Front Psychol. 2018 Nov 12;9:2112. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018.02112. eCollection 2018. PubMed PMID: 30483172; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6240658.
- Malyutina S, Zelenkova V, Buivolova O, Oosterhuis EJ, Zmanovsky N, Feurra M. Modulating the interhemispheric balance in healthy participants with transcranial direct current stimulation: No significant effects on word or sentence processing. Brain Lang. 2018 Nov;186:60-66. doi: 10.1016/j.bandl.2018.09.004. Epub 2018 Oct 1. PubMed PMID: 30286319.
- Fusco G, Scandola M, Feurra M, Pavone EF, Rossi S, Aglioti SM. Midfrontal theta transcranial alternating current stimulation modulates behavioural adjustment after error execution. Eur J Neurosci. 2018 Nov;48(10):3159-3170. doi: 10.1111/ejn.14174. Epub 2018 Oct 26. PubMed PMID: 30269394.
- Shpektor A., Nazarova M., Feurra M. Effects of Transcranial Alternating Current Stimulation on the Primary Motor Cortex by Online Combined Approach with Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation // Journal of Visualized Experiments. 2017.
- Yaple Z., Martinez-Saito M., Feurra M., Klucharev V., Shestakova A. Transcranial alternating current stimulation modulates risky decision making in a frequency controlled experiment // eNeuro. 2017 (in print)
- Vukovic, N., Feurra, M., Shpektor, A., Myachykov, A., & Shtyrov, Y. (2017). Primary motor cortex functionally contributes to language comprehension: An online rTMS study. Neuropsychologia, 96, 222-229.
- Feurra M, Galli G, Pavone EF, Rossi A, Rossi S (2016) Frequency-specific insight into short-term memory capacity. J Neurophysiol 116:153-158.
- Galli, G., Feurra, M., Pavone, E. F., Sirota, M., & Rossi, S. (2017). Dynamic changes in prefrontal cortex involvement during verbal episodic memory formation. Biol.Psychol. (In Press)
- Cioncoloni D, Rosignoli D, Feurra M, Rossi S, Bonifazi M, Rossi A, Mazzocchio R (2016) Role of brain hemispheric dominance in anticipatory postural control strategies. Exp Brain Res 234:1997-2005
- Galli, G., Santarnecchi, E., Feurra, M., Bonifazi, M., Rossi, S., Paulus, M.P., Rossi, A., 2015. Individual and sex-related differences in pain and relief responsiveness are associated with differences in resting-state functional networks in healthy volunteers. Eur.J.Neurosci.
- Shpektor, A., Bartres-Faz, D., Feurra, M., 2015. Commentary: Duration-dependent effects of the BDNF Val66Met polymorphism on anodal tDCS induced motor cortex plasticity in older adults: a group and individual perspective. Front Aging Neurosci. 7, 183
- Santarnecchi,E. et al. Time Course of Corticospinal Excitability and Autonomic Function Interplay during and Following Monopolar tDCS. Front Psychiatry 5, 86 (2014)
- Caliandro,P. et al. Jitter of corticospinal neurons during repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation. Method and possible clinical implications. Brain Stimul. 7, 580-586 (2014).
- Cioncoloni,D. et al. Differential effects of acute cortisol administration on deep and shallow episodic memory traces: a study on healthy males. Neurobiol. Learn. Mem. 114, 186-192 (2014).
- Feurra,M. et al. State-dependent effects of transcranial oscillatory currents on the motor system: what you think matters. J. Neurosci. 33, 17483-17489 (2013).
- Santarnecchi,E. et al. Frequency-dependent enhancement of fluid intelligence induced by transcranial oscillatory potentials. Curr. Biol. 23, 1449-1453 (2013).
- Ragazzoni,A. et al. Vegetative versus minimally conscious states: a study using TMS-EEG, sensory and event-related potentials. PLoS. One. 8, e57069 (2013).
- Innocenti,I. et al. TMS interference with primacy and recency mechanisms reveals bimodal episodic encoding in the human brain. J. Cogn Neurosci. 25, 109-116 (2013).
- Feurra,M., Galli,G., & Rossi,S. Transcranial alternating current stimulation affects decision making. Front Syst. Neurosci. 6, 39 (2012)
- Feurra,M. et al. Cortico-Cortical Connectivity between Right Parietal and Bilateral Primary Motor Cortices during Imagined and Observed Actions: A Combined TMS/tDCS Study. Front Neural Circuits. 5, 10 (2011).
- Feurra,M. et al. Frequency-dependent tuning of the human motor system induced by transcranial oscillatory potentials. J. Neurosci. 31, 12165-12170 (2011).
- Feurra,M., Paulus,W., Walsh,V., & Kanai,R. Frequency specific modulation of human somatosensory cortex. Front Psychol. 2, 13 (2011).
- Innocenti,I. et al. Event-related rTMS at encoding affects differently deep and shallow memory traces. Neuroimage. 53, 325-330 (2010).
- Rossi,S. et al. Temporal dynamics of memory trace formation in the human prefrontal cortex. Cereb. Cortex 21, 368-373 (2011).
- Feurra,M., Fuggetta,G., Rossi,S., & Walsh,V. The role of the left inferior frontal gyrus in episodic encoding of faces: An interference study by repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation. Cogn Neurosci. 1, 118-125 (2010).
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.