Higher School of Economics (Moscow) announces a competition of the three-year projects for the creation of international laboratories. The competition runs from April 19, 2021 to July 30, 2021.
- The declared scientific research should not be a repetition of scientific research carried out in the current or in the previous period in the framework of other projects implemented at the University and outside of it at the expense of budget funds of various levels and other sources, but may be their development.
- The declared scientific research does not imply the creation of an experimental base at the HSE, but the results of the Competition may support studies involving the use of the experimental base of the RAS Institutes.
Participants in the Competition independently determine the amount of requested funding, taking into account the established restrictions.
- personal (with full-time presence at the University) scientific management of a scientific research for at least 45 working days in total per year;
- the initiator of the application may propose other conditions for attracting several leading scientists to the project as part of participation in this Competition, indicating the annual obligations of each of the leading scientists, which in aggregate should not be less than the above;
- an employment contract for a period of 3 years will be concluded with each leading scientist, within the framework of which the HSE becomes the main place of work in the Russian Federation, the leading scientist is employed at the HSE for a full time.
- joint participation with the head of the IL on the Russian side in the formation of a research team for conducting research, approving plans for scientific work, creating a scientific school;
- assisting the head of the IL in determining the prospects of scientific research, the choice of methods and means of conducting research and development, ways of solving the research tasks assigned to the IL;
- leadership in the development of methodological and working materials, forecasts and proposals, other planning documents and methodological materials as part of the ongoing scientific research, practical recommendations on the use of their results;
- the implementation of educational work on conducting courses on the subject of a research study lasting at least 36 hours a year in accordance with the approved individual plan of educational and methodical work;
- publication of a certain number of articles within the scientific research framework
- the head of the IL accepts the obligation to fulfill the functions of direct management of the IL, organizing the work of the scientific team, including preparing plans for conducting a scientific research and making cost estimates for conducting a scientific research, performing an annual estimate of the project, targeting the allocated funds, providing reporting documentation in accordance with local regulations of the HSE;
- in case of winning in the Competition, the IL Head must be employed in the IL (full time, the main place of work).
- The research team should include at least two Doctors of Science / Candidates of Science / PhD working at the Higher School of Economics at full time at the main place of work, and at least 3 PhD students of the Higher School of Economics / HSE students.
- replacement of members of the research team is allowed in exceptional cases by agreement with the vice-rector who coordinates the activities of HSE in the field of fundamental research and scientific research carried out in accordance with the government order;
- employees are accepted only for the positions of scientific workers. An exception is the position of Project Manager, whose duties under the employment contract include administrative support of ongoing research projects of the IL.
- at least two members of the research team of the planned IL who, if the application wins the Competition, will be drawn up in the IL on the basis of their work in the IL at the main place of work in a position not lower than a scientific employee (not taking into account the head of the IL and leading scientist)
- organizational functions of presenting the project in the structural divisions of the Higher School of Economics,
- interaction with foreign scientists participating in the project,
- document management at the Higher School of Economics in accordance with local regulations of the University.
- the candidate for the position of project manager must be fluent in English language and meet other qualification requirements.
- the hiring of the IL project manager is possible after obtaining the approval of the candidate by the Office for Supporting the Activities of the International Laboratories of the HSE.
- Project Manager must work in the IL at the main full-time job.
- IL presents an annual report on research work done, as well as a report on the implementation of the approved annual performance indicators
- a publication presented as a reporting material should be a unique work on the subject of a research project, previously not published anywhere and not presented as a reporting material;
- in case of reporting indicators of the performance activity on the conduct of events, one event can be considered as reporting only for one of the research projects;
- if there is an indicator for attracting PhD students and students as trainee researchers, only PhD students and students of the Higher School of Economics are considered;
- in the indicator on the number of dissertations for the degree of candidate or doctor of science, only dissertations with HSE affiliation are taken into account.
- Based on the results of the work of IL in the period from 2022 to 2024, an expert assessment of its activities will be carried out taking into account the approved annual performance indicators and the plan of research work.
- The report on the three-year period of activity and the results of the examination will be considered at a meeting of the Committee on the Organization of International Research Projects with the involvement of leading foreign and Russian scientists at the Higher School of Economics and at a meeting of the Expert Council of the Higher School of Economics on Research.
- In case of successful examination, the project can be extended for another three years.
All expenses associated with participation in the Competition, including expenses associated with the preparation, submission of applications for participation in the Competition, shall be borne by the participants of the Competition.
- Persons interested in participating in the Competition prepare an application for participation in the Competition and submit it electronically on HSE website from April 19, 2021 to July 30, 2021.
- The application for participation in the Competition must be prepared and submitted in Russian and English.
Applications received after the deadline established by the Regulation are not accepted for consideration.
- completed Form 1 “Passport of application for participation in the Competition”;
- completed Form 2 “Concept of an international laboratory”;
- completed Form 3 “Profile of the leading scientist”;
- written consent of the organization in which the leading scientist works for his participation in a scientific research in accordance with the stated conditions, including an in-person presence at the University for at least 45 working days annually for the period from 2022 to 2024 for the personal management of IL and the research (in English). If several leading scientists are involved in the project, the written consent of the organizations in which they work is provided for each of them with an indication of the stated conditions for their participation in the scientific research;
- completed Form 4 “Profile of the head of the international laboratory”;
- completed Form 5 “Description of the research”;
- completed Form 6 “List of indicators of the effectiveness of scientific research”;
- completed Form 7 “Research Plan of Work”;
- completed Form 8 “Estimated Costs for Scientific Research”.
If the submitted application for participation in the Competition does not contain the documents specified in the Competition documentation, or the documents submitted as part of the application are not drawn up in accordance with the established form or do not contain the necessary information, such application shall be regarded as not meeting the requirements established by the Competition documentation.
- application in Russian in Word format;
- application in English in Word format;
- application in Russian in pdf format containing scans of signatures of a leading scientist and head of IL;
- application in English in pdf format containing scans of signatures of a leading scientist and head of IL;
- Attachments to the profile of the leading scientist (copy of passport, copy of residence permit (if any), copy of diploma, copy of certificate of PhD, CV, copies of other diplomas and certificates, etc.);
- in case the scientific research involves the use of the experimental base of the RAS Institutes, documents confirming the possibility of such use should be attached to the application set submitted to the Competition (including letters of notification of the support of the project from the base RAS Institutes, draft agreements on joint research, information on co-financing from the Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, granting the right to use the experimental base).
- Within 3 business day after the deadline for submitting applications for the Competition, employees of the Office consider them for compliance with the formal requirements for processing applications established in the Regulation. Incomplete or incorrectly executed applications for participation in the Competition are not accepted.
- After conducting a technical examination for compliance / non-compliance of the application for the Competition documentation, sets of documents are transferred to the Academic Expertise Department of the Higher School of Economics for the examination of applications, in accordance with the established criteria.
The applications will be examined according to the following criteria: ul class="dots">
- Scientific achievements and work experience of a leading scientist / team of scientists
- Scientific research perspectives
- The perspective appearance of the IL
The results of the Competition will be announced before November 12, 2021, inclusively, at a meeting of the Committee for Organizing the Activities of International Research Projects with the involvement of leading foreign and Russian scientists at the Higher School of Economics.
Within 10 days after receiving information on the results of the Competition the winners of the Competition must prepare and coordinate documents on the establishment of the IL / on the assignment of the status of IL according to the Higher School of Economics procedures.