- Assistant Professor:Faculty of Humanities / School of Philology
- Programme Academic Supervisor:Language Policy in the Context of Ethnocultural Diversity
- Denis Zubalov has been at HSE since 2014.
Education and Degrees
PhD in Linguistics
Thesis Title: A Sociolinguistic Investigation of the Processes of Language Shift/Language Maintenance: The Case of Pontic Greeks in Cyprus
PhD in Linguistics
University of Cyprus, English Studies
MA in Linguistics
Thesis Title: Language and Ethnic Identity of Pontic Greeks in Cyprus
MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Essex, Language and Linguistics
BA in English Language and Literature
University of Cyprus, English Studies
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
International Summer School: Sociolinguistic Perspectives. University of Copenhagen, Denmark (2010).
- Bilingualism and multilingualism in terms of over-diversity (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; programme "Language Policy in the Context of Ethnocultural Diversity")Rus
- History and methodology of science: sociolinguistics and contemporary research methods (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; programme "Language Policy in the Context of Ethnocultural Diversity")Rus
- Introduction to Profession (Cross-Cultural Communication, Theory of Translation, Theory of Language Teaching) (Bachelor’s programme; School of Foreign Languages; programme "Foreign Languages and Intercultural Communication"; 2 year, 1-3 module)Eng
- Language and Society (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; programme "Language Policy in the Context of Ethnocultural Diversity")Rus
- Linguistic Antropology (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; programme "Русский как иностранный во взаимодействии языков и культур"; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Research Seminar (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; programme "Language Policy in the Context of Ethnocultural Diversity")Rus
- Academic Writing (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; programme "Культурная и интеллектуальная история: между Востоком и Западом"; 1 year, 1 module)Eng
- Introduction to Profession (Cross-Cultural Communication, Theory of Translation, Theory of Language Teaching) (Bachelor’s programme; School of Foreign Languages; programme "Foreign Languages and Intercultural Communication"; 2 year, 2-4 module)Rus
- Qualitative Methods in Social Sciences (Master’s programme; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
RGNF (Russian Humanities Research Fund) grant: project "Languages of Moscow" (in collaboration with the Institute of Linguistics, RAS), 2016-2018.
- 2018The Modern Language Association (MLA) Annual Convention: Language Change: Global (Im-)migration and Linguistic Insecurity (Нью Йорк). Presentation: Keeping Balance between Language Maintenance and Language Policy in a Russian School with a Georgian Ethno-cultural Component in Moscow
- 2017The i-Mean 5th International Conference: Meaning in Social Interaction (Бристоль). Presentation: Language as an inextricable part of ethnic identity construction: The case of Georgian adolescent group in Moscow
- Spacial Boundaries and Transitions in Language and Interaction: Perspectives from Linguistics and Geography (Цюрих ). Presentation: Crossing boundaries: the role of language and space in (re)shaping identity of ethnic Georgian teenagers in Moscow
- Approaches to Migration, Language and Identity (Лозанна). Presentation: Migrants’ homeland, language, ethnic and cultural self-perception: The case of teenage Georgian students in Moscow
- International Symposium on Monolingual and Bilingual Speech (Ханья). Presentation: Monolingual language policy in a bilingual school: the case of the Moscow school with a Georgian ethno-cultural component
- Языковая политика: общероссийская экспертиза (Москва). Presentation: Языковая политика в семьях греков из стран бывшего СССР постоянно проживающих на Кипре
- 2016Social and Affective Factors in Home Language Maintenance and Development. HOLM 2016 (Берлин). Presentation: The Role of the Home Language in the Secondary School with a Georgian Ethno-Cultural Component in Moscow
- The Impact of Socio-Political Transformations on Language and Identity (Тбилиси). Presentation: Is Identity Important? A Sociolinguistic Investigation of Students in the Moscow School with a Georgian Ethno-Cultural Component
- Language, Indexicality and Belonging (Оксфорд). Presentation: 'The Language of My Enemy is My Mother Tongue': Turkish in the Community of Pontic Greeks in Cyprus
- XVII APRIL INTERNATIONAL ACADEMIC CONFERENCE ON ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT (Moscow). Presentation: Politics, Language Ideology and Identity: The Case of Pontic Greek Immigrants in Cyprus
- European Conference on Educational Research (ECER 2016) (Дублин). Presentation: The Linguistic and Socio-cultural Transition of Students in the Moscow Secondary School with a Georgian Ethno-cultural Component
- Political Dimensions in Education: Memory, Identity and Cultural Representations (Nicosia). Presentation: Migration and identity transformation of young Pontic Greeks in Cyprus and Georgians in Russia
- 2015Culture in society, between groups and across generations (Москва). Presentation: To Be or Not to Be: National and Ethnic Cultural Values Transmission Patterns within the Community of Pontic Greeks in Cyprus
- The Magic of Innovation: New Trends in Language Research and Teaching Foreign Languages (Москва). Presentation: Internal and External Factors Influencing Language Choice in Cross-cultural Communication
- The i-Mean 4th International Conference: Language and Impact (Ворвик). Presentation: Intra-communal Language Policy: The Impact of Language Use on the Construction of Ethnic and Cultural Identity of Pontic Greeks in Cyprus
- Transcultural Urban Spaces: Where Geography Meets Language (Берн). Presentation: Multilingual Moscow: A Sociolinguistic Investigation
- Language. Culture. Translation. Communication (Москва). Presentation: Cultural and Communication Patterns of Pontic Greeks in Cyprus and Russia: Identifying Differences and Similarities
- The Politics of Teaching and Learning Languages (Лондон). Presentation: A Georgian Teacher in a Russian School with a Georgian Ethno-cultural Component: Strategies and Mismatches in Language/Culture Preservation
- 2014Language Policy and Language Conflicts in Contemporary World (Москва). Presentation: Language and Ethnos: Compromise or Conflict? The Case of the Turkish Language within the Pontic Greek Community in Cyprus
- Visible and Invisible Borders: Language Use Expressing Group Belonging and Change in the Georgian Greek Community. Presentation: We and They: Inter- and Intra-communal Ethno-linguistic Borders. The Case of Pontic Greeks in Cyprus
- Sociolinguistics Symposium 20: Language / Time / Space. Presentation: The Russian Language Demands in the Greek Cypriot Job Market: The Case of Pontic Greeks
- 2013Internal seminar at the Institute of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics. Russian State University for the Humanities. Presentation: Transitional Sociolinguistic Processes in the Community of Russian Greeks in the North Caucasus
- 2012Sociolinguistics Symposium 19: Language and the City. Presentation: A Sociolinguistic Reformatting of the Pontic Greek Community in a Russian Post-Soviet Town
- 2011International Conference: The Collapse of the Soviet Union: Twenty Years on. Presentation: Russian Language – Greek Identity: The Case of Pontic Greeks in Russia
- Relocating Cultures International Conference. Presentation: Mother Land, Historical Mother Land or Host Country? A Sociolinguistic Investigation of the Pontic Greek Community in Russia
- 2010International Summer School 2010: Sociolinguistic Perspectives. Presentation: Language Contact: Shift or Maintenance? The Case of the Pontic Greek Community in Cyprus and Russia
- Linguists of Tomorrow - The 1st International Postgraduate Conference in Linguistics at the University of Cyprus. Presentation: A Sociolinguistic Overview of the Pontic Greek Community in Russia
- The Russian Language Outside the Nation: Speakers and Identities. Presentation: Language and Identity: Where are the Meeting Points? The Case of the Pontic Greek Community in Cyprus
- 2009The 19th International Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics. Presentation: The Status of Russian as an Intra-communal Language within the Pontic Greek Community in Cyprus
- 2008Languages for Intercultural Dialogue. Presentation: Foreign Language Needs of Pontic Greek Students in the State Educational System in Cyprus
- The 3rd Language at the University of Essex International Postgraduate Conference. Presentation: Language and Identity of Pontic Greeks in Cyprus
- 2007The 3rd International Conference on Modern Greek Dialects and Linguistic Theory. Presentation: Language Attitudes among Russians of Greek Origin towards the Linguistic Variety in the Cypriot Greek Speech Community
- Chapter Dionysios Zoumpalidis, Pavlou P. Foreign language needs of Pontic Greek students in the state educational system in Cyprus, in: Languages for Intercultural Dialogue. European Parliament Office in Cyprus and Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Cyprus, 2011. P. 282-292.
- Chapter Pavlou P., Dionysios Zoumpalidis. Language attitudes among Russians of Greek origin towards the linguistic variety in the Cypriot Greek speech community, in: Studies in Modern Greek Dialects and Linguistic Theory. Nicosia : Research Centre of Kykkos Monastery, 2011. P. 321-336.
- Article Zoumpalidis D., Zubalov D. Changing Attitudes: Reconsidering the Role of Turkish in the Community of Pontic Greeks in Cyprus // Journal of the Anthropological Society of Oxford. 2017. Vol. 9. No. 1. P. 25-42.
- Article Зубалов Д. Ю., Шуванникова Е. М. Роль семьи и школы в формировании идентичности грузинских школьников в Москве // Родной язык: лингвистический журнал. 2017. Т. 7. № 2. С. 99-120.
From late March and early April, HSE will offer four new coursers on Coursera on intercultural communication, machine learning, computer vision, and stochastic processes.
The first intake into this new Master’s programme will be in 2018 and its graduates will be able to work in the field of language policy. Denis Zubalov, Academic Supervisor of the programme 'Language Policy in the Context of Ethnocultural Diversity' told the HSE News Service all about what students will be studying, how urbanization is linked to language policy and what killer languages are.
A recent paper by Denis Zubalov, an Associate Professor with IOE’s Graduate School of Education, has been published in Journal of the Anthropological Society of Oxford.
An article by researcher at the Institute of Education Denis Zubalov has been published in STUF - Language Typology and Universals journal. It is an international journal, published in Germany, which is indexed in SCOPUS database.