Alexandra Alexandrovna Moskovskaya
- Director:Centre for Social Entrepreneurship and Social Innovation Studies
- Academic Supervisor:Centre for Social Entrepreneurship and Social Innovation Studies / Department of Applied Studies of Work and Professions
- Professor:Faculty of Social Sciences / School of Politics and Governance / Public Policy Department
- Alexandra Alexandrovna Moskovskaya has been at HSE University since 2005.
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Economic Theory
Institute of Economics of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Student Term / Thesis Papers
R. Maharramli «Analyzing the Effects of Economic Reforms Made in Post-Oil Period in Azerbaijan». Faculty of Social Sciences, 2019
- Global Political Economy (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Non-Government Organizations as Development Agents (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Non-state Actors of Social Policy (Master’s programme; Institute for Social Policy; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Think Tanks as Policy Actors (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
Global Political Economy (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; field of study "41.04.04. Политология", field of study "38.04.04. Государственное и муниципальное управление"; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Global Political Economy (Minor; Faculty of Social Sciences; 3, 4 module)Eng
- Research Seminar "Human Rights Policy Analysis" (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 2 year, 1-3 module)Eng
- Research Seminar "Public Policy Analysis" (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 2 year, 1-3 module)Eng
- 2018XIX Апрельская международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества (Москва). Presentation: Негосударственные организации на рынке социальных услуг в России: международные уроки и первые результаты
- 20176th EMES International Research Conference on Social Enterprises (Louvain-La-Neuve). Presentation: Models of social enterprises in Russia from the perspectives of the welfare triangle
- 2016Midwest Political Science Association 74th Annual Conference (Чикаго). Presentation: Professional association as a reflection of professional model: what other countries can learn on the basis of the Russian experience?
- ISTR's 12th International Conference "The Third Sector in Transition: Accountability, Transparency, and Social Inclusion" (Стокгольм). Presentation: The trajectory of legitimation of social entrepreneurship in Russia: are the social enterprises able to create a new order?
- 20155th EMES Conference on Social Enterprise (Helsinki). Presentation: Institutionalization of social entrepreneurship in Russia: cross-sector partnership or a business project?
- 2013The 11th Conference of the European Sociological Association “Crisis, Critique and Change” (Турин). Presentation: Professional Associations in Russia: between Market and professional Community
- 4th EMES International Conference on Social Enterprise (Льеж). Presentation: Social enterprises and their environment: a comparative study of organizations created by internationally recognized leaders of social entrepreneurship
- 2012Профессии в системе права и общества во Франции и в России (Les professions dans le droit et dans la société en France et en Russie) (Guyancourt). Presentation: Variety and specific character of professional models in Russia
- 20113rd EMES International research conference on soc ial enterprise "Social innovation through social intrepreneurship in civil society" (Роскильде). Presentation: The state and the social entrepreneur in Russia: an accord or a dissonance?
- 10th Conference of the European Sociological Association (Женева). Presentation: Development of professional knowledge towards social entrepreneurship
- 201017-th ISA World Congress of Sociology 2010 (Гётеборг). Presentation: The Variety of Professional Models: Russian Experience in the Western Research Context
- 20099th Conference of European Sociological Association "European Society or European Societies?" (Лиссабон). Presentation: The role of the Russian Business in Formation of a New Professional Model (an Industrial Focus)
- Chapter Moskovskaya, Alexandra. The Future of Management: Global Trends and Possible Scenarios of Development of Managerial Profession, in: Professionalizing Leadership: Debating Education, Certification and Practice. Palgrave Macmillan, 2018. doi Ch. 11. P. 199-217. doi
- Preprint Alexandra Moskovskaya, Artem Berendyaev. Social enterprise in Russia: state, discourses and regulation controversy / EMES International Research Network. Series "ICSEM Working Papers". 2017. (in press)
- Article Moskovskaya A. A., Soboleva I. Social entrepreneurship in the system of social policy: International experience and prospects of Russia // Studies on Russian Economic Development. 2016. Vol. 27. No. 6. P. 683-688. doi
- Preprint Oberemko O. A., Moskovskaya A. A., Chernysheva M. Dependent and Independent social enterprises: a comparative study of organizations in international perspective / University Library of Munich. Series "Munich Personal RePEc Archive". 2014. No. 54893.
- Preprint Oberemko O. A., Moskovskaya A. A., Chernysheva M. Dependent and Independent social enterprises: a comparative study of organizations in international perspective / Centre International de Recherches et d'Information sur l'Economie Publique, Sociale et Coopérative. Series Theme 7: Network management, partnerships and stakeholders. "Papers and Presentations". 2013. No. Workshop 7.d.
- Preprint Moskovskaya A. A., Oberemko O. A., Silaeva V., Popova I. P., Nazarova I. B., Peshkova O. A., Chernysheva M. Development of Professional Associations in Russia: A Research into Institutional Framework, Self-Regulation Activity, and Barriers to Professionalization / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2013. No. WP BRP 26/SOC/2013.
- Chapter Moskovskaya A. A. The role of the Russian Business in Formation of a New Professional Model: an Industrial Focus, in: Russian Sociology in Turbulent Times. M. : Russian Society of Sociologysts, 2011. P. 379-397.
Director of Centre for Social Entrepreneurship and Social Innovation Studies, NRU HSE, Moscow
Graduated from the faculty of Economics of M.V.Lomonosov Moscow State University (1988). PhD in Economics (Institute of Economics, Russian Academy of Science 1994). From the moment of graduation till 2005 worked as a researcher at the Institute of Economics RAS. She has been working at National Research University “Higher School of Economics” since November 2005, first as Deputy Director of the Institute for Social Development Studies, and from 2011 to the present – as Director of the Centre for social entrepreneurship and social innovation studies (CSE).
CSE is a research unit of the HSE specializing in studies, training and consulting in the field of social entrepreneurship, social innovation, corporate social responsibility, and the development of the non-government providers of social services.
One of the first in Russia deals with the topic of social entrepreneurship. The beginning of the formation of the team of the future Center for social entrepreneurship and social innovation studies was laid in 2006 with the project "Socpolitika.ru" - expert-analytical platform for interaction between researchers of social policy and NGOs engaged in the social services (supported by the program "Dialogue" IREX, 2006-2009), she was a director of the project. In 2009 in collaboration with the Russian microfinance center she launched a pilot research into the models of social entrepreneurship in Russia supported by Oxfam (UK). In 2008-2010, as part of a group of experts, she conducted an examination of projects submitted to the social entrepreneurship competition of the Russian Fund of regional social programs "Our future", in 2017-2918 – the Fund "Navstrechu peremenam” (“Towards change").
In cooperation with the Fund of regional social programs "Our future", several projects were carried out, in particular – a unique study of the best international practices of social entrepreneurship (2011-2013) and Youth summer school for social innovation (2013, Saint-Petersburg). In 2014 she headed two weeks Summer school for social entrepreneurship start-ups (NRU HSE, Moscow, under support of the Department of science, industrial policy and entrepreneurship of the Moscow city Government). A.Moskovskaya is one of the first winners of the “Force for good” All-Russian annual Award of “Our Future” Fund (2011) for the leadership in the promotion of social entrepreneurship in Russia. In 2011, the first Russian-language monograph on social entrepreneurship "Social entrepreneurship in Russia and in the world: practice and research" (HSE Publishing House, Moscow, 2011) was published under her editorship The monograph includes a description and analysis of 15 international and Russian social enterprises and their business models.
In 2015 CSE under her leadership joined the International Comparative Social Enterprise Model project (ICSEM), which involved more than 40 countries and more than 50 research centers of social enterprises. In 2015 and 2017 CSE staff conducted two other studies of social entrepreneurship: "Social entrepreneurship in the social services market in Russia: models, actors and ways to institutionalize" (2015, HSE Basic research program) and "Landscape of social entrepreneurship in Russia" (Center for social entrepreneurship and social innovation studies, HSE, 2017). The results were published in Scopus journals: Studies on Russian Economic Development (2016. Vol. 27. No. 6) and " Monitoring Obshchestvennogo Mneniya: Ekonomichekie i Sotsial'nye Peremeny" (2017. No6).
She has published more than 60 scientific works. Membership in professional associations: Russian society of sociologists (RSS), International research network EMES, Association for research of non-profit organizations and volunteering (ARNOVA), the Midwest Political Science Association (MPSA), the International Society for Third-sector Research (ISTR).
In 2016-2018, together with the Institute for statistical studies and Economics of knowledge, ISSEK HSE was involved in several studies of the impact of the global trends on the Russian economic and social development. She has been an official expert member of the HSE Plan of the applied studies for the cooperation between the Russian Federation and the OECD (OECD Directorate for employment, labour and social affairs).
Visit to HSE Allowed International Students Learn both about the University and Social Entrepreneurship in Russia
On August 30, a delegation of students and instructors from the People's Republic of China visited HSE University. The meeting was initiated by the China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation representatives.
Article of A. Moskovskaya “When is poverty more important than inequality? The difference of interpretations and the situation in Russia”
This article is a response to recent interview of new minister of Economics of Russia Maxim Oreshkin to Kommersant daily, in which the minister associated lowering barriers for the economic growth in Russia with overcoming poverty and lack of human resources. Alongside, he claimed that the problem of poverty is more relevant to the Russian economy than that of inequality.In her article, Moskovskaya A. offers five variants of response to the question what is more relevant – poverty or inequality, depending on socio-economic and political context of a certain country, the relevance of the Russian situation to each variant is discussed..
On March 14th, 2016, an Russian-American seminar on social entrepreneurship and social innovation was held at the Centre for Social Entrepreneurship and Social Innovation Studies. Jeffrey Robinson, Alexandra Moskovskaya, Alexander Chepurenko and several Russian social entrepreneurs took part in the event.
With the joining of new territories to Moscow (“New Moscow”), adjustments are needed to the general plan for development of the capital until 2025. On 5 November, HSE hosted the second workshop in the cycle of “New Moscow in the context of agglomeration: priorities and prospects of development”, which involved the participation of experts from the State Unitary Enterprise – Research and Project Institute for the General Plan of the City of Moscow.