Arnab Roy Chowdhury
- Arnab Roy Chowdhury has been at HSE since 2017.
Education and Degrees
PhD in Sociology
National University of Singapore
Thesis Title: Subalternity, State-Formation and Movements against Hydropower Projects in India, 1920-2004
Master's in Sociology
Master's in Sociology
Student Term / Thesis Papers
O. Goodhead «A Comparative Study of Policies on Security at Urban Parks in USA: the Case of Centennial Olympic Park (Atlanta) and Central Park (New York)». Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
- Article Roy Chowdhury A. Book Review: Water Policy Processes in India by Vandana Asthana // Asian Journal of Social Science. 2011. Vol. 39. No. 1. P. 102-103. doi
- Chapter Roy Chowdhury A. Summarizing Dipesh Chakrabarty: Locating a Cozy Prefecture between Self, Alterity and Transcendence, in: Avenel Companion to Modern Social Theorists. Kolkata : Avenel, 2011. P. 108-121.
- Article Roy Chowdhury A. Book Review: Protest with Chinese Characteristics by Ho- Fung Hung // International Sociology. 2012. Vol. 27. No. 5. P. 656-658. doi
- Article Roy Chowdhury A. Book Review: Changing Homelands: Hindu Politics and Partition in India by Neeti Nair // Asian Journal of Social Science. 2013. Vol. 41. No. 2. P. 230-232. doi
- Article Roy Chowdhury A. Decommissioning Large Dams in India: A Comparative Assessment of Mullaperiyar and other Cases // Development in practice. 2013. Vol. 23. No. 2. P. 292-298. doi
- Article Roy Chowdhury A., Ngamjahao K. Deluge amidst Conflict: Hydropower, Development and Displacement in North-East Region of India // Progress in Development Studies. 2013. Vol. 13. No. 8. P. 195-208. doi
- Article Roy Chowdhury A. Book Review: Civil Society and Democratization in India: Institutions, Ideologies and Interest, by Sarbeswar Sahoo, // Contemporary South Asia. 2014. Vol. 22. No. 2. P. 216-217. doi
- Article Roy Chowdhury A. Book Review: Marxism and Social Movements (eds.) Colin Barker, Laurence Cox, John Krinsky, Alf Gunvald Nilsen // Asian Journal of Social Science. 2014. Vol. 42. No. 6. P. 815-817. doi
- Article Roy Chowdhury A. ‘Repertoires of Contention in Movements against Hydropower Projects in India’ // Social Movement Studies. 2014. Vol. 13. No. 3. P. 399-205. doi
- Chapter Roy Chowdhury A. Claiming ‘Ecological Property Rights’: Movements against Hydropower Projects in Maharashtra (India), 1960-2004 Arnab Roy Chowdhury, in: Understanding Southern Social Movements. Oxford : Routledge, 2016. P. 27-41.
- Article Roy Chowdhury A., Ngamjahao K. Contested State-craft on the Frontiers of the Indian Nation: ‘Hills-Valley Divide’ and the Genealogy of Kuki Ethnic Nationalism in Manipur’ // Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism. 2016. Vol. 16. No. 2. P. 283-303. doi
- Article Roy Chowdhury A., Kuntala L. The Geophagous Peasants of Kalahandi: De-peasantisation and Artisanal Mining of Coloured Gemstones in India // Extractive Industries and Society. 2016. Vol. 3. No. 3. P. 703-715. doi
- Article Roy Chowdhury A. Book Review: Living with Disasters: Communities and Development in the Indian Sunderbans by Amites Mukhopadhyay // Society and Culture in South Asia. 2017. Vol. 3. No. 1. P. 124-126. doi
- Article Roy Chowdhury A. Book Review: The Coal Nation: Histories, Ecologies and Politics of Coal in India, edited by Kuntala Lahiri-Dutt, // Commonwealth and Comparative Politics. 2017. Vol. 55. No. 2. P. 240-242. doi
- Article Roy Chowdhury A., Gupta P. Harnessing Gram Sabhas to Challenge State Profligacy in Chhattisgarh // Economic and Political Weekly. 2017. Vol. 52. No. 48. P. 58-63.
- Chapter Roy Chowdhury A. ‘Revisiting Naxalbari’: Narratives of Violence and Exclusions from the Marginal Spaces, in: Marginalities in India: Themes and Perspectives. Singapore : Springer, 2017. P. 81-94. doi
- Chapter Roy Chowdhury A., Kuntala L. Agrarian distress and Gemstone Mining in India: The Political Economy of Survival, in: Between the Plough and the Pick: Informal, Artisanal and Small-Scale mining in the contemporary world. Canberra : Australian National University, 2018. Ch. #4. P. 89-116. doi
- Article Roy Chowdhury A. Book Review: Undervalued Dissent: Informal Worker’s Politics in India, by Manjusha Nair // Asian Journal of Social Science. 2018. Vol. 46. No. 4-5. P. 571-573. doi
- Article Lahiri-Dutt K., Roy Chowdhury A. In the Realm of the Diamond King: Myth, Magic,and Modernity in the Diamond Tracts of Central India // Annals of the American Association of Geographers. 2018. Vol. 108. No. 6. P. 1620-1634. doi
- Article Roy Chowdhury A. State Formation from Below: Social Movements of Dam Evictees and Legal Transformation of the Local State in India, 1960–76 // South Asia: Journal of South Asia Studies. 2018. Vol. 41. No. 1. P. 194-211. doi
- 201237th Annual Meeting of Social Science History Association (Ванкувер). Presentation: Subalternity, State-Formation and Movement against Hydropower projects in India, 1920-2004
- 201010th Essex Conference of Critical Political Theory (Колчестер). Presentation: Hydro-politics and Dynamics of Mobilizations against Large Dams in Maharashtra: a Post-Marxist Approach
- International Sociological Association (ISA), World Congress (Гётеборг). Presentation: The State on a Hydraulic Mission: The Political Ecology of Large Dams in Maharashtra
July 2016- June 2017 : Postdoctoral Researcher, in Move Media Communications under Bangladesh and Thailand office.
July 2015- June 2016: Visiting Assistant Professor, Public Policy and Management Group (PP&M), Indian Institute of Management –Calcutta (IIMC).
August 2013- January 2015: various positions (TA, RA and Postdoc) in National University of Singapore.
In addition to interviews with international faculty, The HSE Lookis launching a new feature – a column about their life in Russia, what they discover in different cities, and interesting venues at HSE and beyond. If you have an interesting experience to share, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In this issue, we present a column by Arnab Roy Chowdhury.
Every year, HSE hires post-doctoral researchers from all over the world. And in 2017-18, more than 30 of them started work at laboratories and research centres in a large range of fields and specializations. The HSE Lookis pleased to introduce this year’s international researchers, so that you can learn more about your colleagues and find out about opportunities for potential collaboration.
On September 22 'Living and Working in Russia' workshop welcomed new international faculty members to HSE.