- Dean, Professor:Faculty of Computer Science
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Ivan Arzhantsev has been at HSE since 2011.
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
Doctor of Sciences* in Mathematical Logic, Algebra and Number Theory
Lomonosov Moscow State University
Thesis Title: Embeddings of Homogeneous Space and Geometric Invariant Theory
- 2009Associate Professor
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Mathematical Logic, Algebra and Number Theory
Lomonosov Moscow State University
Thesis Title: Reductive group actions with spherical orbits
Diploma in Mathematics. Applied Mathematics
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
Awards and Accomplishments
- Preprint Arzhantsev I. Gale duality and homogeneous toric varieties / Cornell University. Series "Working papers by Cornell University". 2017. No. arXiv:1701.09115.
- Preprint Arzhantsev I., Braun L., Hausen J., Wrobel M. Log terminal singularities, platonic tuples and iteration of Cox rings. / Cornell University. Series "Working papers by Cornell University". 2017. No. arXiv:1703.03627.
- Preprint Arzhantsev I. Infinite transitivity and special automorphisms / Cornell University. Series "Working papers by Cornell University". 2016. No. arXiv:1610.09115.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Kotenkova P. Equivariant Embeddings of Commutative Linear Algebraic Groups of Corank One // Documenta Mathematica. 2015. Vol. 20. P. 1039-1053.
- Chapter Arzhantsev I., Popovskiy A. Additive actions on projective hypersurfaces, in: Automorphisms in Birational and Affine Geometry. Levico Terme, Italy, October 2012 Vol. 79: Series: Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics. L., NY, Dordrecht, Heidelberg, Cham : Springer International Publishing, 2014. P. 17-33.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Hausen J., Herppich E., Liendo A. The automorphism group of a variety with torus action of complexity one // Moscow Mathematical Journal. 2014. Vol. 14. No. 3. P. 429-471.
- Chapter Arzhantsev I., Zaidenberg M. Acyclic curves and group actions on affine toric surfaces, in: Affine Algebraic Geometry, Proceedings of the Conference, Osaka, Japan, 3-6 March 2011. L., Singapore, New Jersey : World Scientific Publishing, 2013. P. 1-41.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Celik D., Hausen J. Factorial algebraic group actions and categorical quotients // Journal of Algebra. 2013. Vol. 387. P. 87-98. doi
- Chapter Arzhantsev I., Flenner H., Kaliman S., Kutzschebauch F., Zaidenberg M. Infinite transitivity on affine varieties, in: Birational geometry, rational curves, and arithmetic / Науч. ред.: F. A. Bogomolov, B. Hasset, Y. Tschinkel. Boston : Birkhäuser, 2013. P. 1-13.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Bazhov I. On orbits of the automorphism group on an affine toric variety // Central European Journal of Mathematics. 2013. Vol. 11. No. 10. P. 1713-1724. doi
- Article Arzhantsev I., Liendo A. Polyhedral Divisors and SL2-Actions on Affine T-Varieties // Michigan Mathematical Journal. 2012. Vol. 61. No. 4. P. 731-762. doi
- Article Аржанцев И. В., Куюмжиян К. Г., Зайденберг М. Г. Многообразия флагов, торические многообразия и надстройки: три примера бесконечной транзитивности // Математический сборник. 2012. Т. 203. № 7. С. 3-30.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Makedonskii E., Petravchuk A. Finite-dimensional subalgebras in polynomial Lie algebras of rank one. // Украинский математический журнал. 2011. Vol. 63. No. 5. P. 708-712.
- Article Arzhantsev I. Flag varieties as equivariant compactifications of G_a^n // Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society. 2011. Vol. 139. No. 3. P. 783-786.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Sharoyko E. Hassett-Tschinkel correspondence: Modality and projective hypersurfaces // Journal of Algebra. 2011. Vol. 348. No. 1. P. 217-232.
- Article Arzhantsev I. V., Gaifullin S.A. Cox rings, semigroups and automorphisms of affine algebraic varieties // Sbornik Mathematics. 2010. Vol. 201. No. 1. P. 1-21.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Gaifullin S. Homogeneous toric varieties // Journal of Lie Theory. 2010. Vol. 20. No. 2. P. 283-293.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Hausen J. Geometric Invariant Theory via Cox rings // Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra. 2009. Vol. 213. No. 1. P. 154-172.
- Article Arzhantsev I. Invariant ideals and Matsushima's criterion // Communications in Algebra. 2008. Vol. 36. No. 12. P. 4368-4374.
- Chapter Arzhantsev I. Affine embeddings of homogeneous spaces., in: In «Surveys in Geometry and Number Theory» Issue 338: LMS Lecture Notes Series. Cambridge University Press, 2007. P. 1-51.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Petravchuk A. Closed polynomials and saturated subalgebras of polynomials algebras // Украинский математический журнал. 2007. Vol. 59. No. 12. P. 1587-1593.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Hausen J. On the multiplication map of a multigraded algebra // Mathematical Research Letters. 2007. Vol. 14. No. 1. P. 129-136.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Hausen J. On embeddings of homogeneous spaces with small boundary // Journal of Algebra. 2006. Vol. 304 . No. 2. P. 950-988.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Tennova N. On affinely closed homogeneous spaces // Journal of Mathematical Sciences. 2005. Vol. 131. No. 6. P. 6133-6139.
- Chapter Arzhantsev I., Timashev D. On the canonical embedding of certain homogeneous spaces, in: In «Lie Groups and Invariant Theory: A.L.Onishchik's jubilee volume» Book 2. Issue 213. AMS Translations, 2005. P. 63-83.
- Article Arzhantsev I. Algebras with finitely generated invariant subalgebras // Annales de l'Institut Fourier. 2003. Vol. 53. No. 2. P. 379-398.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Bajo I., Sanmartin E. Invariant subalgebras and affine embeddings of homogeneous spaces // Research and Exposition in Mathematics. 2002. Vol. 25. P. 121-126.
- Chapter Arzhantsev I. Invariant subalgebras and affine embeddings of homogeneous spaces, in: Lie groups and invariant theory Vol. 25. Berlin : Heldermann Verlag, 2002. P. 121-126.
- Article Arzhantsev I., Timashev D. Affine embeddings with a finite number of orbits // Transformation Groups. 2001. Vol. 6. No. 2. P. 101-110.
- Article Arzhantsev I. On stability of subgroup actions on certain quasihomogeneous G-varieties. // Journal of Lie Theory. 2000. Vol. 10. No. 2. P. 345-357.
Arzhantsev I., Kotenkova P. Equivariant embeddings of commutative linear algebraic groups of corank one. Working papers by Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2015. No. 1501.03270, 12 pages
Grant RSF-DFG 16-41-01013, 2016-2018
Thirty school students from Moscow and the Moscow Region recently had an opportunity to meet international researchers and analyze data obtained from the Large Hadron Collider at a workshop organized by HSE’s Faculty of Computer Science, Yandex and CERN.
A career in science and technology might sound appealing to the average Russian, but a recent survey showed that most Russians believe men are better suited for this line of work than women. The young women interviewed for this story, a mathematician and a programmer, are of a different opinion.
This year, the HSE Faculty of Computer Science is opening an international theoretical computer science laboratory, which will be the new research division of the Big Data and Information Retrieval School. One of the lab’s main objectives is to help bring the Russian school of theoretical computer science to the world stage.
On September 22, a presentation will take place marking the opening of a new joint department with the Institute for System Programming (ISP) of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The joint department is being created as part of the School of Software Engineering of the Faculty of Computer Science. The joint department will add to the Computer Science Faculty’s academic and pedagogical activities by offering system programming, a core area of programming research.
Math in Moscow, a joint programme run by the Independent University of Moscow, the Moscow Centre for Continuous Mathematical Education and the Higher School of Economics, is accepting applications for the spring 2016 semester until September 30. The Math in Moscow programme for international students has been giving young mathematicians from different countries the opportunity to learn from the best Russian teachers. All programme courses are taught in English.
On July 23, 2015 HSE hosted the delegation from University of Central Asia, represented by Mr Shamsh Kassim-Lakha, Executive Chairman, Board Executive Committee and Dr Ariff Kachra, Dean of Academic Affairs.
The Faculty of Computer Science is only one year old – it was founded March 28, 2014 – but it already has a rich history and ambitious plans. Ivan Arzhantsev, Dean of the Faculty of Computer Science, spoke to The HSE Look about highlights from the past year, current research focuses, and the faculty’s plans for the future.
Higher School of Economics and EMC Cloud and Big Data R&D Center in Moscow (Skolkovo) have signed a cooperation agreement, which includes the creation of a Project and Study Group in Bioinformatics. HSE students and lecturers are a key part of the group.