Yulia P. Lezhnina
- Head:Faculty of Social Sciences / School of Sociology
- Assistant Professor:Faculty of Economic Sciences / Department of Applied Economics
- Senior Research Fellow:Institute for Social Policy
- Senior Research Fellow:Institute for Social Policy / Centre for Stratification Studies
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Yulia P. Lezhnina has been at HSE University since 2007.
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Social Structure, Social Institutes and Processes
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Young Faculty Support Program (Group of Young Academic Professionals)
Category "Future Professoriate" (2013)
Category "New Lecturers" (2011-2012)
Category "Future Lecturers" (2010)
- Social Policy as an Instrument of Sustainable Development (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Society Stratification and Social Policy (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design; 4 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Measurements in the Social Sphere (Master’s programme; Institute for Social Policy; 1 year, 1-3 module)Rus
- Social Policy as an Instrument of Sustainable Development (Master’s programme; Institute for Social Policy; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
Dissertation for a degree of Candidate of Science
- Article Mareeva S., Lezhnina Y. P. Income Stratification in Russia: What do Different Approaches Demonstrate? // Studies of Transition States and Societies. 2019. Vol. 11. No. 2. P. 23-46.
- Preprint Anikin V. A., Lezhnina Y. P., Mareeva S., Slobodenyuk E. Who Seeks State Support In The New Russia And Why? / NRU HSE. Series WP BRP Series "Public and Social Policy". 2019.
- Preprint Anikin V. A., Lezhnina Y. P., Mareeva S., Tikhonova N. E. Social Stratification by Life Chances: Evidence from Russia / National Research University Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Sociology". 2017. No. 80/SOC/2017. doi
- Article Lezhnina Y. P. Sociodemographic Factors Determining the Risk of Poverty and Low-Income Poverty / Пер. с рус. // Sociological Research. 2011. Vol. 50. No. 2. P. 13-31.
- Article Lezhnina Y. P. The Family in Value Orientations / Пер. с рус. // Russian Education and Society. 2011. Vol. 53. No. 2. P. 78-92.
The University Academic Council has approved a new educational standard for HSE Master’s programmes, the main feature of which is an higher degree of student freedom and flexibility se in student choice. Master’s programmes may consist of several tracks, each overseen by an academic track supervisor—a new key figure in the educational process.
Yulia Lezhnina on changes in store for the School of Sociology
Svetlana Mareeva and her colleagues from the Center for Stratification Research have been awarded the grant from the Russian Science Foundation to continue the research project ‘Behavior Strategies of Population in the Post-Crisis Period: How Will the New Day-to-day Realities in the Lives of Russians Affect the "Corridor of Opportunities" for the Country's Development?’
The grant was awarded to the research team consisting of Svetlana Mareeva (project leader), Nataliya Tikhonova, Vasiliy Anikin, Yulia Lezhnina, Ekaterina Slobodenyuk and Anastasia Karavay within the framework of the President's Program for Research Projects "Research by scientific groups under the guidance of young scientists."
This prize is annually awarded to doctoral students, researchers and professionals from Moscow-based institutions, as well as people with Candidate or Doctor of Sciences degrees. Researchers from HSE University won competition for the third year in a row and will be recognized at ceremony slated to take place on February 7 at the Kremlin Palace.
Svetlana Mareeva, Yulia Lezhnina and Vasily Anikin win the 2019 Moscow Government Award for Young Scientists
Svetlana Mareeva, Yulia Lezhnina and Vasily Anikin, employees of the Center for Stratification Studies, are honored with the 2019 Moscow Government Award for Young Scientists in the "Social Sciences" nomination. The victory was awarded to the scientific team for a significant contribution to research of social structure and social inequality in modern Russian society.
On June 18, the third International Partners’ Week ‘Academic Agility: Preparing Students for an Uncertain Future’ began at HSE University. The event brings together representatives of more than 30 universities from 16 countries, including France, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Turkey, the USA, Finland, the United Kingdom, and China. They have all come to Moscow to learn more about the kind of learning experience HSE University can provide, as well as to discuss practical challenges and solutions regarding international mobility.
On 29 May, 2019, research and educational website IQ.hse.ru published the article “Dependence on the State. What Social Assistance are the Russians Waiting for?” based on the findings from the study by Vassily Anikin, Yulia Lezhnina, Svetlana Mareeva, and Ekaterina Slobodenyuk.
Kyoto International Conference “Civil Society, Firms, and Government in Post-Transition and Emerging Economies”. Kyoto Institute of Economic Research, Kyoto University (KIER), Japan
January 26, 2019. Vasiliy Anikin and Julia Lezhnina, the senior research fellows from the Centre for Stratification Studies, participated in the plenary session. There presentations were about social structure of and perceived role of state in post-transition Russia.
Presentation of collective book “Income Stratification Model of Russian Society: Dynamics, Factors, Cross-country comparisons”
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 4 p.m. a collective book “Income Stratification Model of Russian Society: Dynamics, Factors, Cross-country comparisons” was presented.
On October 2, 2018, the Institute for Social Policy held a scientific seminar on the topic “Healthy lifestyle in old age: barriers and opportunities”
The seminar moderated by Oksana Sinyavskaya, deputy director of the Institute, heard a presentation by Dr. Elena Selezneva, Senior Research Fellow of the Center for Comprehensive Social Policy Studies.
Session "Middle Class" within the framework of the 19th April International Scientific Conference (April 12)
At the session chaired by Liliya Ovachrova, director of the Institute for Social Policy, Yulia Lezhnina, senior research fellow of the Center for Stratification Studies, presented her report "Russian middle class in social policy system: object or subject?"
of Russians believe that the ideal family is like a ‘psychological comfort zone’ that joins an attractive, smart and confident woman who does not have bad habits with a smart man who is able to provide for the family.
The Higher School of Economics and the University of Southampton (United Kingdom) have signed a cooperation agreement to expand their research collaboration and to facilitate academic and student mobility between the two universities.