- Associate Research Fellow:Institute for Industrial and Market Studies / International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development
2010 - Doctor of Science in Economics. Russian Academy of Sciences.
2009 - Dr. rer. pol. (PhD in Economics). University of Mannheim.
2005 - Candidate of Science in Economics (PhD equivalent). Russian Academy of Sciences.
2003 - Diploma (MA equivalent) with honors in International Economics. Finance Academy under the Government of the Russian Federation.
- Article Libman A., Dolgopyatova T. G., Yakovlev A. A. Board Empowerment: What Motivates Board Members of Founder-Owned Companies? // Journal of Management Inquiry. 2020. Vol. 29. No. 2. P. 188-205. doi
- Article Libman A., Obydenkova A. Global governance and Eurasian international organisations: lessons learned and future agenda / Transl.: A. Obydenkova. // Post-Communist Economies. 2020. P. 1-12. doi (in press)
- Article Libman A., Obydenkova A. “Proletarian Internationalism in Action? Communist Legacies and Attitudes Towards Migrants in Russia” / Transl.: A. Obydenkova. // Problems of Post-Communism. 2020. Vol. 67. No. 4-5. P. 402-416. doi
- Book Libman A., Rochlitz M. Federalism in China and Russia: Story of Success and Story of Failure? (Studies in Fiscal Federalism and State-local Finance). Cheltenham : Edward Elgar Publishing, 2019.
- Article Libman A., Obydenkova A. Inequality and historical legacies: evidence from post-communist regions // Post-Communist Economies. 2019 doi
- Article Libman A., Obydenkova A. Proletarian Internationalism in Action? Communist Legacies and Attitudes Towards Migrants in Russia // Problems of Post-Communism. 2019. P. 1-15. doi (in press)
- Article Libman A., Lankina T. Soviet Legacies of Economic Development, Oligarchic Rule and Electoral Quality in Eastern Europe's Partial Democracies: The Case of Ukraine // Comparative Politics. 2019 (in press)
- Article Rosenberg D., Kozlov V. A., Libman A. Political Regimes, Income and Health: Evidence from Sub-National Comparative Method // Social Science Research. 2018. Vol. 72. No. May. P. 20-37. doi
- Article Kluge J., Libman A. Sticks or Carrots? Comparing Effectiveness of Government Informal Economy Policies in Russia // Comparative Economic Studies. 2018. Vol. 60. No. 4. P. 605-637. doi
- Article Kozlov V. A., Libman A., Schultz A. Testosterone and Repression in Non-Democracies: Evidence from a Sample of Russian Governors // Kyklos. 2018. Vol. 71. No. 2. P. 244-278. doi
- Article Burkhardt F., Libman A. The Tail Wagging the Dog? Top-down and Bottom-up Explanations for Bureaucratic Appointments in Authoritarian Regimes // Russian Politics. 2018. Vol. 3. No. 2. P. 239-259. doi
- Article Dolgopyatova T. G., Libman A., Yakovlev A. A. Unintended Benefits of Empowering Boards in Conglomerates: A Case Study of AFK Sistema // Journal for East European Management Studies. 2018. Vol. 23. No. 2. P. 177-202. doi
- Article Libman A. Subnational political regimes and formal economic regulation: Evidence from Russian regions // Regional and Federal Studies. 2017. Vol. 27. No. 2. P. 127-151. doi
- Article Libman A., Kozlov V. A. The legacy of compliant activism in autocracies: post-Communist experience // Contemporary Politics . 2017. Vol. 23. No. 2. P. 195-213. doi
- Article Lankina T. V., Libman A., Obydenkova A. Appropriation and Subversion: Precommunist Literacy, Communist Party Saturation, and Postcommunist Democratic Outcomes // World Politics. 2016. Vol. 68. No. 2. P. 229-274. doi
- Article Lankina T., Libman A., Obydenkova A. Authoritarian and Democratic Diffusion in Post-Communist Regions. // Comparative Political Studies. 2016. Vol. 49. No. 12. P. 1599-1629. doi
- Chapter Libman A., Obydenkova A. “Economic Reforms in Ukraine in Comparative Perspective: Formal and Informal Dimensions”, in: Beyond the Euromaidan: Comparative Perspectives for Advancing Reform in Ukraine. Stanford : Stanford University Press, 2016.
- Book Autocratic and Democratic External Influences in Post-Soviet Eurasia / Ed. by A. Obydenkova, A. Libman. Ashgate, 2015.
- Article Libman A., Obydenkova A. CPSU Legacies and Regional Democracy in Contemporary Russia // Political Studies. 2015. Vol. 63. No. S1. P. 173-190.
- Book Obydenkova A., Libman A. Causes and Consequences of Democratization. The regions of Russia. Routledge, 2015.
- Book Obydenkova A., Libman A. Causes and Consequences of Democratization: the Regions of Russia. L., NY : Routledge, 2015.
- Chapter Obydenkova A., Libman A. Modern External Influences and the Multi-Level Regime Transition: Theory Building, in: Autocratic and Democratic External Influences in Post-Soviet Eurasia / Ed. by A. Obydenkova, A. Libman. Ashgate, 2015. P. 15-43.
- Chapter Libman A., Obydenkova A. Summarizing Theory-Testing and Future Research Agenda, in: Autocratic and Democratic External Influences in Post-Soviet Eurasia / Ed. by A. Obydenkova, A. Libman. Ashgate, 2015. P. 105-124.
- Article Obydenkova A., Libman A. Understanding the survival of post-Communist corruption in contemporary Russia: The influence of historical legacies // Post-Soviet Affairs. 2015. Vol. 31. No. 4. P. 304-338. doi
- Article Libman A., Obydenkova A. Governance of Commons in a Large Nondemocratic Country: The Case of Forestry in the Russian Federation // Publius . 2014. Vol. 44. No. 2. P. 298-323.
- Article Libman A., Obydenkova A. International Trade as a Limiting Factor in Democratization: an Analysis of Subnational Regions in Post-Communist Russia // Studies in Comparative International Development. 2014. Vol. 49. No. 2. P. 168-196.
- Article Libman A., Schultz A., Kozlov V. Judicial Alignment and Criminal Justice: Evidence from Russian Courts. // Post-Soviet Affairs. 2014. No. 30(2-3). P. 137-170.
- Article Obydenkova A., Libman A. Understanding the foreign policy of autocratic actors: ideology or pragmatism? Russia and the Tymoshenko trial as a case study // Contemporary Politics . 2014. Vol. 20. No. 3. P. 347-364.
- Article Libman A., Obydenkova A. Communism or Communists? Soviet Legacies and Corruption in Transition Economies // Economics Letters. 2013. Vol. 119. No. 1. P. 101-103. doi
- Article Libman A., Golovnin M., Ushkalova D., Yakusheva A. Is the USSR Dead? Experience from the Financial and Economic Crisis of 2008-2009. // Communist and Post-Communist Studies. 2013. No. 46(1). P. 109-122.
- Article Vinokurov E., Libman A. Post-Soviet Integration and the Interaction of Functional Bureaucracies // Review of International Political Economy. 2012. No. 19(5). P. 867-894.
Presentation of books by Michael Rochlitz, Alexander Libman and Andrey Starodubtsev, devoted to federalism in Russia and China
Center for Comparative Governance Studies is happy to arrange the presentation of two books on federalism in Russia and China