- Associate Professor:Faculty of Economic Sciences / Department of Applied Economics
- Academic Director:Doctoral School of Economics
- Olga Demidova has been at HSE since 1998.
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
- 2012Associate Professor
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Mathematical Modelling, Numerical Methods and Software Complexes
Russian Academy of Sciences Dorodnitsyn Computation Center
Degree in Mathematics
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Mechanics and Mathematics
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Student Term / Thesis Papers
A. Oiner «A Spatial Econometric Approach to Modelling Russian Regional Economic Growth». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2018
C. Ochirov «Comparison of Different Methods of Missing Data Inputation on the Example of RLMS Database». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2017
A. Khlebnikova «Bayesian Approach to the Spatial Econometric Modelling of the Economic Growth: the Case of Russian Regions». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2017
K. Ptitsyna «Bayesan Estimation of Spatial Econometric Models of Economic Growth for Russian Regions». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2016
A. Afanas`eva «Econometric Evaluation of Spatial Effects in Major Macroeconomic Indicators in Russia». School of Statistics, Data Analysis and Demography, 2014
A. Koliagina «Dependence of the Main Indicators of the Labor Markets of Russian Regions on the Degree of Their Diversification». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2018
Y. Trostin «Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth in European Union». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2017
N. Mikailov «Integrated Likelihood Estimation of Panel Data Models with Individual and Time Effects». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2017
V. Mokhova «Comparison of Different Types of Spatial Effects in Unemployment Rate Modelling in Russia». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2017
E. Medvedeva «The Influence of Macroeconomic Factors on a Credit Portfolio Modeling». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2017
V. Kosarev «Non-Parametric Approach for Modeling Credit Portfolio». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2016
O. Vy'glovskij «Analysis of Efficiency Repeated Contracts in the Field of Public Procurement on the Example of Purchases of Gasoline in 2011». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2014
E. Shibneva «Spatial Effects' Robustness for Key Macroeconomic Indicators of Russian Federation». Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2014
You may practice R, python and learn Data Science Online on datacamp.
- Article Demidova O., Daddi P., Medvedeva E., Signorelli M. Modeling the Employment Rate in Russia: a Spatial-Econometric Approach // Economy of Region. 2018. Vol. 14. No. 4. P. 1383-1398. doi
- Book Young people and the labour market / Ed. by F. E. Caroleo, O. Demidova, E. Marelli, M. Signorelli. London and New York: Routledge, 2018.
- Chapter Parisi M. L., Marelli E., Demidova O. Youth unemployment, labour productivity and the evolution of the labour markets in Europe, in: Young people and the labour market / Ed. by F. E. Caroleo, O. Demidova, E. Marelli, M. Signorelli. London and New York: Routledge, 2018. Ch. 3. P. 65-81.
- Article Bartolucci F., Bruno G., Demidova O., Signorelli M. Job satisfaction and compensating wage differentials: Evidence from Russia // CESifo Economic Studies. 2017. Vol. 63. No. 3. P. 333-351. doi
- Article Demidova O. Chiara Mussida & Francesco Pastore (Eds.), Geographical Labor Market Imbalances: Recent Explanations and Cures (AIEL Series in Labour Economics) // Journal of Economics Bibliography. 2016. Vol. 3. No. 1. P. 148-154. doi
- Article Yakovlev A. A., Oleg Vyglovsky, Demidova O., Alexander Bashlyk. Incentives for Repeated Contracts in Public Sector: Empirical Study of Gasoline Procurement in Russia // International Journal of Procurement Management. 2016. Vol. 9. No. 3. P. 272-289. doi
- Preprint Yakovlev A. A., Выгловский О. В., Demidova O., Башлык А. Н. Incentives For Repeated Contracts In Public Sector: Empirical Study Of Gasoline Procurement In Russia / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series PA "Public Administration". 2015. No. WP BRP 24/PA/2015 .
- Article Demidova O. Spatial effects for the eastern and western regions of Russia: a comparative analysis // International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies. 2015. Vol. 8. No. 2. P. 153-168. doi
- Article Yakovlev A. A., Tkachenko A., Demidova O., Balaeva O. The Impacts of Different Regulatory Regimes on the Effectiveness of Public Procurement // International Journal of Public Administration. 2015. Vol. 38. No. 11. P. 796-814. doi
- Article Demidova O., Marelli E., Signorelli M. Youth labour market performances in the Russian and Italian regions // Economic Systems. 2015. Vol. 39. No. 1. P. 43-58. doi
- Preprint Tkachenko A., Yakovlev A., Demidova O., Volmenskikh I. Effects of Regulatory Reforms in Public Procurement: the Case of National University in Russia / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series PA "Public Administration". 2014. No. WP BRP 19/PA/2014.
- Article Demidova O. How Russian and Ukrainian citizens perceive the role of immigrants in their country: a comparison with European residents // International Journal of Computational Economics and Econometrics. 2014. Vol. 4. No. 1/2. P. 181-206.
- Article Demidova O., Paas T. How people perceive immigrants’ role in their country’s life: a comparative study of Estonia and Russia // Eastern Journal of European Studies. 2014. Vol. 5. No. 2. P. 117-138.
- Preprint Demidova O. The asymmetric spatial effects for eastern and western regions of Russia / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Economics/EC". 2014. No. WP BRP 50/EC/2014.
- Preprint Yakovlev A. A., Bashina A. S., Demidova O. The effectiveness of simple homogeneous commodity procurement under rigid govermental regulation: the case of granulated sugar procurement in Russia / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series PA "Public Administration". 2014. No. WP BRP 13/PA/2014.
- Preprint Yakovlev A. A., Tkachenko A., Demidova O., Balaeva O. An impact of different regulatory regimes on the effectiveness of public procurement / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series PA "Public Administration". 2013. No. WP BRP 08/PA/2013.
- Chapter Yakovlev A. A., Demidova O., Balaeva O. Empirical analysis of suppliers’ non-performance risks in execution of public procurement contracts in Russia., in: Charting a Course in Public Procurement Innovation and Knowledge Sharing / Ed. by G. L. Albano, K. F. Snider, K. V. Thai. Boca Raton : PrAcademics Pre, 2013. Ch. 10. P. 253-287.
- Article Demidova O., Marelli E., Signorelli M. Spatial Effects on Youth Unemployment Rate: The Case of Eastern and Western Russian Regions // Eastern European Economics. 2013. Vol. 51. No. 5. P. 94-124.
- Article Yakovlev A. A., Demidova O. Access of firms to public procurement in Russia in the 2000s: before and after radical reform of regulation // International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies. 2012. Vol. 5. No. 2. P. 140-157. doi
- Article Demidova O., Signorelli M. Determinants of youth unemployment in Russian regions // Post-Communist Economies. 2012. Vol. 24. No. 2. P. 191-217. doi
- Article Demidova O., Yakovlev A. A. State-business relations and participation of firms in public procurement in Russia: an empirical study // Journal of Public Procurement. 2012. Vol. 12. No. 4. P. 547-572.
- Chapter Demidova O., Im Gym D. How people of different countries consider an infringement of the law: the comparative econometric analysis, in: Contemporary Legal and Economic Issues III. Osijek : Josip Juraj Strossmayer University of Osijek, 2011. P. 309-329.
- Chapter Yakovlev A., Demidova O. Regulatory reform and the practice of selecting suppliers for government procurements in Russia: 2005-2009, in: Towards New Horizons in Public Procurement. PrAcademics Press, 2011. Ch. 17. P. 389-411.
- Preprint Demidova O., Yakovlev A. A. State-Business Relations and Participation of Firms in Public Procurements in Russia: An Empirical Study / NRU HSE. Series WP1 "Институциональные проблемы российской экономики". 2011. No. 03.
- Article Demidova O., Signorelli M. The impact of crises on youth unemployment of Russian regions: an empirical analysis // China-USA Business Review. 2011. Vol. 10. No. 7. P. 491-507.
- Chapter Demidova O. Is the Kuznets Hypothesis Valid for Transition Countries?, in: Economic Growth and Structural Features of Transition / Ed. by E. Marelli, M. Signorelli. Hampshire : Palgrave Macmillan, 2010. Ch. 9. P. 189-205.
- Chapter Demidova O. How Russian citizens regard infringement of the law?, in: Contemporary Legal and Economic Issues II. Osijek : Josip Juraj Strossmayer University of Osijek, 2009. P. 189-198.
Teaching Activities 2014-2015
Course “Econometrics” (Introductory level), lectures;
Course “Nonparametric Methods of Estimation”, lectures;
Course “Bayesian Approach in Econometrics”, lectures
2012-2015, Project "Youth Unemployment", Unit Coordinator, http://economia.uniparthenope.it/ise/YouthUnemployment/index.htm
2011-2013, SEARCH Project, participant, http://www.ub.edu/searchproject
2013-2014, Individual Research Project “Spatial effects for eastern and western regions of Russia: comparative econometric analysis” supported by the HSE Research Fund
2010-2011, Individual Research Project No. 10-01-0140 “State-Business Relations and Participation of Firms in Public Procurements in Russia: An Empirical Study” supported by the HSE Research Fund
Presentations at Selected Conferences
International Conference "Modern econometric tools and applications", 18-20 September, 2014, NES, NRU HSE NN, Nizhny Novgorog, "Spatial effects of youth unemployment rate in the Russian and Italian regions" (with E.Marelli, M.Signorelli).
AIEL annual conference, 11-12 September, 2014, University of Pisa, Italy, "The spatial effects of youth unemployment rate for Italy and Russia" (with E.Marelli, M.Signorelli).
EACES bi-annual conference, 4-6 September, 2014, Budapest, Hungary, "Youth Labour Market in the Russian and Italian regions: comparative spatial analysis" (with E.Marelli, M.Signorelli), «Young people between unemployment and temporary jobs: a cross-country analysis of the low-skills trap in Europe and Russia» (with F.Pompei and C.Perugini).
54th ERSA Congress, 26-29 August, 2014, St.Petersburg, Russia.
III Scientific Conference "Spatial Econometrics and Regional Economic Analysis", 9-10 June, 2014, University of Lodz, Poland, "The spatial effects of youth unemployment rate" (with E.Marelli, M.Signorelli), "A comparative analysis of spatial effects for the eastern and western regions of Russia".
Workshop "New challenges for the labour market: spatial and institutional perspectives", 8-9 May, 2014, Universita degli Studi di Napoli "Parthenope", Italy, "Youth Labour Market Performance in the Russian and Italian Regions" (with E.Marelli and M.Signorelli).
13th International Workshop "Spatial Econometrics and Statistics", 15-16 April, 2014, Universite de Toulon, France, "Spatial Effects of Youth Unemployment Rate in the Russian and Italian Regions", (with E.Marelli, M.Signorelli).
Western Regional Science Association 53rd Annual Meeting, 16-19 February, 2014, San Diego, "East is East and West is West: a comparative analysis for Russia"
SEARCH Project Final Academic Conference, 10-11 February, 2014, Barcelona, "A comparative analysis of people's attitudes towards immigrants in Estonia and Russia".
60th Annual North American Meeting of the Regional Science Association International, November 13-16, Atlanta, USA, "The spatial Effects for the Eastern and Western regions of Russia: the comparative analysis".
The 53rd European Regional Science Association, August 27-31, 2013, University of Palermo, Italy, "The spatial effects for the Eastern and Western regions of Russia: a comparative econometric analysis", http://www.ersa.org/53rd-ersa-congress/
Migration. Global Development, New Frontiers, April 10-13, 2013, UCL, London, UK, "A comparative analysis of the European, Russian, and Ukrainian residents' attitude toward immigrants".
The 12th European Association for Comparative Economic Studies Conference, 6-8 September 2012, University of the West of Scotland, "The European residents' attitude towards migrants: a comparative analysis based on the ESS data". http://www.uws.ac.uk/eaces2012/
International Public Procurement Conference, August 17-19, Seattle, "State-Business relations and participations of firms in public procurement in Russia: an empirical study" (with A.Yakovlev) http://www.nigp.org/eweb/StartPage.aspx?Site=NIGP&webcode=evt-abtippc_12 DSC03827.JPG
"Determinants of public trust towards major political institutions in countries with economies in transition and in the OECD countries: the comparative analysis", 16th Annual Conference of the International Society for New Institutional Economics, USA, Los Angeles, University of Southern California, 14-16 June 2012, http://www.isnie.org/isnie2012.html Demidova_2012_ISNIE.pdf DSC01824.JPG
“Access of firms to Public Procurement in Russia in the 2000s before and after Radical Reform of Regulation”, (with A.Yakovlev), Development Forum and CEDR-HSE 4th Joint Conference: A Comparison of Industrial Structure and Economic Policy in China and Russia, Wuhan University, China, September 22-25, 2011.
"Modeling of public trust in basic social and political institutions: a comparative econometric analysis", International Economic Association 16th World Congress, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 4-8 July 2011, www.iea-congress-2011.org ; 15th Annual Conference of the International Society for New Institutional Economics, Stanford University, USA, 16-18 June 2011, http://www.isnie.org/isnie2011.html Demidova_2011_ISNIE1.pdf DSC_0062.jpg
"Non-parametric investigation of the Kuznets hypothesis for transitional countries", 10-th EACES bi-annual conference "Patterns of transition and new approaches to comparative economics", HSE, Moscow, 28 - 30 August, 2008, http://eaces-conf2008.hse.ru/index.html Demidova_Kuznets_hypothesis_2008.pdf
Following a directive of the Rector, key HSE staff members have been awarded ‘Acknowledgement’ medals for their high professional achievements and devotion to work.
Research seminar "Cross-Regional Variations in the Level of Entrepreneurial Activity in Russia by Type of Motivation"
Speaker - Vladimir Elakhovsky (HSE Department of Statistics and Data Analysis)
‘Economists should help policymakers to find solutions to this challenge to provide a forum where young people and adults may clash without resorting to the barricades ’
Researchers from Italy have been working on a joint project with the HSE’s Professor Olga Demidova looking at “The Political Economy of Youth Unemployment”. Professor Enrico Marelli, and Prof. Maria Laura Parisi, Economists at the University of Brescia and Elina De Simone from the University of Naples Parthenope, answered the HSE news portal’s questions about their research into youth unemployment in Russia and Italy.