• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Frequently Asked Questions

To which university and faculty do students belong?

Students belong to the two universities at the same time. They are students of HSE's Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs, as well as the Faculty of Business and Management or the Faculty of Foreign Regional Studies of Kyung Hee University. This enables students to take advantage of the opportunities made available to them by leading universities of Russia and Asia. The academic curriculum of the program includes studying subjects needed in order to be awarded degrees by HSE and Kyung Hee University. The first and fourth semester take place at HSE; the second and third at Kyung Hee University. For more details, please see the Program Overview.

How many years do students study for, and what kind of degree are they awarded?

Students study for two (2) years – the first and fourth semester take place at HSE; the second and third at Kyung Hee University.

Graduates of the program are awarded:

  • a Master’s degree in Foreign Area Studies from HSE;
  • either an MBA - Asian Business or MA - International Relations.
Are scholarships available (tuition-free)? How much is tuition?

The programme is currently only for-fee.


Tuition fee at HSE (first and fourth semester) is 420,000 RUB.

Tuition fee at Kyung Hee University (second and third semester) is:

  • 11,800 USD for the MBA - Asian Business;
  • 8,500 USD for the MA - International Relations.

Tuition fee at HSE for the second and third semester is not charged.

Tuition fee at Kyung Hee University includes:

  • Enrollment fee;
  • Cost of tuition.
Does military draft deferment apply during the dual degree programme in Economics, Politics, and Business in Asia?

Like students in other HSE programs, students are provided with military draft deferment for the duration of their study.

What is the difference between Asian Studies and Foreign Area Studies?

A humanities approach to the study of countries of the East serves as a foundation in the Russian and foreign (British) traditions of Asian studies (Oriental studies). Studied in conjunction with language are the literature, history, everyday life, values, philosophy, and the mentality of the people.

Programs of preparation for the field of foreign area studies (international or area studies) began to appear in higher education in the USA, Europe, and certain countries in Asia in the middle of the 20th century. Specifically, area studies, which look at, for example, East and Southeast Asia or the Middle East as a region of the world diminished the contribution of philosophy, culture, religion, literature, and history, which are the foundations of Asian studies. This place was taken over by disciplines needed to prepare the modern area studies specialist and which are related to the study of the economy, the specificities of business activities, politics, and international relations of a country or region. Thereafter, master’s programs in area or international studies became widespread across many universities of the USA, Europe, and Asia.

Where can graduates of the program seek employment?
  • Business. Graduates can work in large international corporations, companies of East Asian countries, or open their own business in Russia or abroad.
  • Public Administration. In-depth knowledge of international relations will enable graduates to work in various government agencies, public organizations, and develop economic, political, and cross-cultural relations.
  • Research and Education. Graduates of the program will be able to continue research activities and teach in Russia or abroad.
  • Analytical Work. Experts on countries of Asia are widely in demand in Russian and foreign consulting and analytical centers.
  • International Journalism. A comprehensive understanding of cross-cultural processes and knowledge of several languages can become the foundation for employment at large business and socio-political media.
I have more questions. How can I get consultation?
  • You can get on-site consultation during the program's open-house events.
  • We also do webinars where we answer your questions and report news on developments to our program.
  • You can sign up for an appointment with the program faculty by going to the link.
  • You can email to the programme manager Elena Kirillova ekirillova@hse.ru