- Professor:Faculty of Mathematics / Joint Department with the Steklov Mathematical Institute (RAS)
- Research Fellow:Laboratory of Algebraic Geometry and Its Applications
- Distinguished Professor (2020)
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Vladlen Timorin has been at HSE University since 2009.
Education and Degrees
Doctor of Sciences* in Differential Equations, Dynamic Systems and Optimal Control
Institute for Information Transmission Problems (Kharkevich Institute) of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Thesis Title: Dynamics and Geometry of quadratic maps
University of Toronto
Thesis Title: Rectifiable families of conics
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Geometry and Topology
Steklov Mathematical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Degree in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
Geometry (convex polytopes, toric varieties, projective differential geometry, classical geometric structures), dynamics (rational functions, surgery, invariant laminations), quadratic forms
Student Term / Thesis Papers
P. Pushkar`, Osculating Curves and Extatic Points. Faculty of Mathematics, 2013
A. Shepelevtseva, Iterated Monodromy Groups of Captures and Invariant Trees. Faculty of Mathematics, 2017
E. Melikhova, An Investigation of f-vectors of Gelfand-Zetlin Polytopes. Faculty of Mathematics, 2017
Dissertation for a degree of Doctor of Science
- Article Blokh A., Cheritat A., Oversteegen L., Timorin V. Location of Siegel capture polynomials in parameter spaces // Nonlinearity. 2021. Vol. 34. No. 4. P. 2430-2453. doi
- Article Timorin V., Ptacek R., Oversteegen L., Blokh A. Laminational models for some spaces of polynomials of any degree // Memoirs of the American Mathematical Society. 2020. Vol. 265. No. 1288. P. 1-116. doi
- Article Timorin V., Shepelevtseva A. Invariant Spanning Trees for Quadratic Rational Maps // Arnold Mathematical Journal. 2019. Vol. 5. P. 435-481. doi
- Article Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Ptacek R., Timorin V. Complementary Components to the Cubic Principal Hyperbolic Domain // Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society. 2018. Vol. 146. No. 11. P. 4649-4660. doi
- Preprint Timorin V., Shepelevtseva A. Invariant spanning trees for quadratic rational maps / Cornell University. Series arxive "math". 2018.
- Preprint Timorin V., OVersteegen L., Cheritat A., Blokh A. Location of Siegel capture polynomials in parameter spaces / Cornell University. Series arxive "math". 2018.
- Article Ptacek R., Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Timorin V. Combinatorial models for spaces of cubic polynomials // Comptes Rendus Mathematique. 2017. Vol. 355. No. 5. P. 590-595. doi
- Preprint Timorin V., Ross P., Lex O., Alexander B. Models for spaces of dendritic polynomials / Cornell University. Series arxive "math". 2017.
- Article Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Timorin V. Non-degenerate locally connected models for plane continua and Julia sets // Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems. 2017. Vol. 37. No. 11. P. 5781-5795. doi
- Preprint Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Timorin V. Perfect subspaces of quadratic laminations / Cornell University. Series arxive "math". 2017.
- Book Тиморин В. А. Геометрия гамильтоновых систем и уравнений с частными производными. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2017.
- Preprint Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Timorin V. Slices of Parameter Space of Cubic Polynomials / Cornell University. Series arxive "math". 2016.
- Chapter Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Ptacek R., Timorin V. The combinatorial Mandelbrot set as the quotient of the space of geolaminations, in: Dynamics and Numbers Vol. 669. American Mathematical Society, 2016. P. 50-74. doi
- Article Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Ptacek R. M., Timorin V. The parameter space of cubic laminations with a fixed critical leaf // Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems. 2016. Vol. 37. P. 2453-2486. doi
- Article Timorin V., Sterligov I. A Metric View on Russian Mathematics and Russian Mathematical Diaspora (A Study Based on Frequent Russian Surnames) // Higher Education in Russia and Beyond. 2015. No. 4(6). P. 10-14.
- Article Esterov A. I., Timorin V. Changing Traditions of Mathematical Education: BSc Program in Mathematics at the National Research University Higher School of Economics // Higher Education in Russia and Beyond. 2015. No. 4(6). P. 22-23.
- Article Timorin V. Reasons for the Success of the Soviet Mathematical School // Higher Education in Russia and Beyond. 2015. No. 4(6). P. 9-10.
- Preprint Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Ptacek R., Timorin V. The combinatorial Mandelbrot set as the quotient of the space of geolaminations / Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2015.
- Preprint Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Ptacek R., Vladlen Timorin. The parameter space of cubic laminations with a fixed critical leaf / Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2015.
- Preprint Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Ptacek R., Vladlen Timorin. Combinatorial models for spaces of cubic polynomials / Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2014.
- Preprint Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Ptacek R., Vladlen Timorin. Complementary components to the cubic Principal Hyperbolic Domain / Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2014.
- Preprint Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Ptacek R., Vladlen Timorin. Smart criticality / Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2014.
- Preprint Timorin V., Khovanskii A. G. Aleksandrov-Fenchel inequality for coconvex bodies / Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2013. No. 1305.4484.
- Preprint Timorin V. Disquisitiones 235 / Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2013. No. 1309.4879.
- Chapter Timorin V., Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Ptacek R. M. Dynamical cores of topological polynomials, in: Proceedings of the International Conference ``Frontiers in Complex Dynamics'' celebrating J. Milnor's 80th Birthday. Princeton : Princeton University Press, 2013. (in press)
- Preprint Timorin V., Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Ptacek R. M. Laminations from the Main Cubioid / Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2013. No. 1305.5788.
- Article Ghys E., Tabachnikov S., Timorin V. Osculating Curves: Around the Tait-Kneser Theorem // The Mathematical Intelligencer. 2013. Vol. 35. No. 1. P. 61-66.
- Preprint Timorin V., Blokh A., Oversteegen L., Ptacek R. M. Quadratic-like dynamics of cubic polynomials / Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2013. No. 1305.5799.
- Preprint Timorin V., Oversteegen L., Blokh A., Ptacek R. M. The Main Cubioid / Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2013. No. 1305.5798.
- Chapter Тиморин В. А. Аскольд Георгиевич Хованский: Идеальный математик // В кн.: Поколения ВШЭ. Ученики об учителях. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2013. С. 17-20.
- Book International Conference «Algebra and Geometry» (Askoldfest) dedicated to the 65-th anniversary of Askold G. Khovanskii. Book of abstracts / Сост.: V. Kiritchenko, V. Timorin. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2012.
- Article Timorin V. Planarizations and maps taking lines to linear webs of conics // Mathematical Research Letters. 2012. Vol. 19. No. 4. P. 899-907.
- Article Кириченко В. А., Смирнов Е. Ю., Тиморин В. А. Исчисление Шуберта и многогранники Гельфанда-Цетлина // Успехи математических наук. 2012. Т. 67. № 4. С. 89-128.
- Article Хованский А. Г., Тиморин В. А. Многогранники и уравнения // Математическое просвещение. 2010. № 14. С. 30-57.
- Article Тиморин В. А., Табачников С. Прямая Сильвестра (часть 1) // Квант. 2009. № 5. С. 2-6.
- Article Тиморин В. А., Табачников С. Прямая Сильвестра (часть 2) // Квант. 2009. № 6. С. 6-9.
- Article Aicardi F., Тиморин В. А. On binary quadratic forms with the semigroup property // Труды Математического института им. В.А. Стеклова РАН. 2007. Т. 258. № 1. С. 23-43.
- Article Timorin V. Rectifiable pencils of conics // Moscow Mathematical Journal. 2007. Vol. 7. No. 3. P. 561-570.
- Article Тиморин В. А. Диффеоморфизмы, переводящие прямые в окружности, и кватернионные расслоения Хопфа // Функциональный анализ и его приложения. 2006. Т. 4. № 2. С. 33-43.
- Article Timorin V. Circles and quadratic maps between spheres // Geometriae Dedicata. 2005. Vol. 115. P. 19-32.
- Article Тиморин В. А. Окружности и алгебры Клиффорда // Функциональный анализ и его приложения. 2004. Т. 38. № 1. С. 56-64.
- Book Тиморин В. А. Комбинаторика выпуклых многогранников. М. : МЦНМО, 2002.
- Article Тиморин В. А. О многогранниках, простых в ребрах // Функциональный анализ и его приложения. 2001. Т. 35. № 3. С. 36-47.
- Article Тиморин В. А. Аналог соотношений Ходжа–Римана для простых выпуклых многогранников // Успехи математических наук. 1999. Т. 54. № 2. С. 113-162.
- Article Тиморин В. А. Смешанные билинейные соотношения Ходжа–Римана в линейном контексте // Функциональный анализ и его приложения. 1998. Т. 32. № 4. С. 63-68.
Editorial board membership
2015: Deputy Editor-in-chief, Arnold Mathematical Journal.
2013: Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of Dynamical and Control Systems.
- 2021Dynamics in Siberia (Новосибирск). Presentation: A model for the cubic connectedness locus
- 2020Dynamics in Siberia (Новосибирск). Presentation: Combinatorial models for spaces of dendritic polynomials
- 2019Representation theory of Lie groups, mathematical physics, and combinatorics (Реймс). Presentation: Combinatorics of Gelfand-Zetlin polytopes
- 2018Коллоквиум "Москва-Пиза" (Москва). Presentation: Slices of the parameter space of cubic polynomials
- 2014Convex Bodies and Representation Theory (Банфф). Presentation: On the theory of coconvex bodies
- International Conference "Attractors, Foliations and Limit Cycles" (Москва (Moscow)). Presentation: Smart criticality for cubic laminations
- Еженедельный семинар Лаборатории алгебраической геометрии и ее приложений (Москва (Moscow)). Presentation: Топологические модели динамики рациональных функций
- Symposium on Differential Equations and Difference Equations 2014 (SDEDE 2014) (Хомбург (Homburg)). Presentation: Combinatorial Models for Spaces of cubic polynomials
- 2013Российско-японская зимняя школа (Москва). Presentation: The Hurwitz sums of squares formulas
- Christmas meetings with Pierre Deligne, Рождественские встречи фонда «Династия» (Москва). Presentation: The number of vertices in Gelfand-Zetlin polytopes
- ICTP-SISSA-Mosсow School on Geometry and Dynamics (Триест). Presentation: Курс "Polynomial Dynamics and Thurston Laminations"
May 11 - 16, 2014
Algebra and Geometry
Mathematical Honors and Awards:
- Deligne prize 2010, http://www.mccme.ru/pdc/
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship 2000, Canada
- Moebius prize 1998, http://www.moebiuscontest.ru
Smart Criticality for Cubic Laminations IUM Moscow, international conference "Attractors, Foliations, and Limit Cycles", January 2014
The main cubioid Cortona (Italy), INdAM Conference New Trends in Holomorphic Dynamics, September 2012
Matings, captures and Regluings IUM Moscow, international conference "Holomophic foliations and complex dynamics", June 2012
Partial semiconjugacies between rational functions Rice University, Houston (Texas), Ahlfors-Bers Colloquium, March 2011
Maps that take lines to conics MIRAS, international conference "Geometric structures on manifolds", October 2011
Research projects and grants
- 2010 RFBR grant 10-01-00540-а Cohomology of spherical varieties and Newton polytopes (reseacher)
- 2011 RFBR grant 11-01-00654-a "One-dimensional dynamical systems and Teichmueller spaces" (principal investigator)
- 2011 grant МК-2790.2011.1 of the President (government support for junior Russian scientists having an academic degree): Topological and symbolic models for one- and two-dimensional dynamical systems (principal investigator)
- 2012 RFBR grant 12-01-33020 "Methods of complex analysis in dynamical systems" (principal investigator)
- 2013 Dynasty foundation grant (principal investigator)
- 2013 RFBR grant 13-01-12449 "Slow dynamical chaos" (researcher)
A "slow capture" (similar to a slow mating) of the basilica. The images are successive iterations of the regluing surgery converging to a capture of the basilica. They are produced using a version of Thurston's algorithm.
HSE University is the only Russian university to rank among the top 100 universities worldwide in the Shanghai Global Ranking of Academic Subjects in Mathematics. This is an impressive feat, considering that the Faculty of Mathematics has only been around since 2007. Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Government Dmitry Chernyshenko stressed that this success testifies to the correct choice of strategy and the achievements of the University team. Read on to learn what helped HSE strengthen its position in the ranking.
In an interview, Sania Pushkar, a member of the first graduating class of the Faculty of Mathematics, talks about why she loves math, what she’s up to now, and what she’ll remember most about studying in the Faculty of Mathematics at HSE University.
The International Centre for Research and Teaching has been established at HSE University. The Centre's activities will be aimed at developing Russia's higher education system in mathematics and computer science in order to create new personnel for the digital economy.
Moscow Lectures, a new series of books in English, is set to be published by Springer Nature. The series is issued jointly by HSE and Skoltech, and its Editor-in-Chief is Alexey Gorodentsev, Professor at the HSE Faculty of Mathematics. Twelve volumes are currently in preparation and the first volume will be published at the beginning of June 2018. The series builds on the outstanding research and education in the field of mathematics in Moscow. It is aimed at graduate and undergraduate students, as well as lecturers and researchers, across the globe.
On 19-23 February 2018 the HSE delegation headed by HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov made a grand tour in Italy visiting 7 partner universities in the North of Italy and meeting around 100 colleagues. HSE delegation members were honored to take part in theCeremony dedicated to 150th Anniversary of Ca' Foscari University of Venice  and official opening of the Academic Year 2017/2018 that was attended by Ca Foscari faculty staff and students, leaders of other local institutions and by the President of the Italian Republic Sergio Mattarella. Within the opening the HSE Rector took part in the academic procession together with Ca Foscari Rector Professor Michele Bugliesi and other 20 participants wearing their universities mantles including leaders of HSE partner universities such as Provost of University College London Professor Arthur, President of Korea University Professor Yeom, Rector of University of Naples Federico II Professir Manfredi, Rector of University of Bergamo Professor Pellegrini Morzenti and others.
 HSE cooperates with Ca Foscari University in Venice since 2012. As for now 16 students from Ca Foscari are on the exchange at HSE, and 18 HSE students study in Venice.
Carlos Cortez, a bronze medallist of the International Mathematical Olympiad (2011, 2012, 2013) and a Mathematics graduate of MIT, recently completed a two-month research internship at the HSE Faculty of Mathematics under the supervision of Professor Sergei Lando. He will soon be pursuing a Master’s degree at University Paris-Sud in France followed by a PhD at Northwestern University (USA). The research internship was made possible through a cooperation agreement between MIT International Science and Technology Initiatives (MISTI) and HSE.
On May 22, Russian and French scientists met in Moscow to sign an agreement to create the French-Russian Interdisciplinary Scientific Centre J.-V. Poncelet (ISCP), which the Higher School of Economics helped set up.
After Turning Down Offers in New York and Berlin, Chinese Student Pursues Mathematics Training at HSE
For DaoDao Yang, a native of Dali, China, choosing a programme in mathematics came down to the decision of where he felt most challenged and most comfortable. This ultimately meant turning down offers at New York University and the Berlin Mathematical School to accept an offer from the Master’s programme at the Higher School of Economics. In an extensive interview with the HSE news service, Dao Dao recently spoke about what led him to choose HSE for his postgraduate study; his impressions of the programme, its professors and his fellow students; and his future plans.
The sixth issue of HERB dedicated to mathematics is now available. There are three sections in the issue. The first section is devoted to the analysis of mathematical education in the USSR and modern Russia, the second one features the career opportunities for those, who received mathematical education in Russia, and the third section describes the current situation with mathematics in universities.
On February 4-8 of next year, the Faculty of Mathematics is hosting a Winter School at Voronovo, a special conference centre in the Moscow region with lodging and recreational facilities.