• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Individual Curriculum

An Individual Curriculum (IC) is a document containing aggregate information about all courses and other types of academic work (e.g. practical training, final state certification) selected by the student and those that form the mandatory part of the curriculum of the educational programme: their study loads, timelines for studying and undergoing interim assessments, and assessment means.

How and when is a standard IC issued?

A standard IC is issued for each student before the start of each academic year and is intended for one semester (half-year). See Standard IC template

It includes core disciplines as part of the mandatory curriculum of the educational programme and optional ones, which the student selects within specified periods using the SmartWay system. The standard IC must be completed within the semester it is issued for.

What should I do to include additional subjects in my standard IC?

Each educational programme has a standard curriculum volume: 240 credit points for a bachelor's degree (300 for a five-year bachelor's degree), 120 credit points for a master's degree, and 330 credit points for a specialist degree.

Students wishing to take more courses, beyond the standard volume (excluding general educational disciplines and practical training elements), will need to formalise a contract for studying part of the educational programme on a paid basis. Exceeding the standard volume of the curriculum through the Practice module (e.g. participating in more projects) does not require an additional paid module.

Additional agreement to the contract is necessary when:

  • Exceeding the standard volume (usually in the 4th year);
  • Undergoing an additional module;
  • Re-studying a course that was previously included in the IC.
How and when is a special IC issued?

A special IC is issued at the student’s request in the following cases:

  • Intra-university transfer from one degree programme to another;
  • Reinstatement of students previously dismissed from HSE;
  • Student transfer from a different university;
  • Undertaking a second degree programme at the same time;
  • Student transfer to an accelerated degree programme;
  • Student participation in an academic exchange programme.
  • Repeating courses (no more than two) in case of failed examinations accumulated during two modules of the same semester. Students who already study under an individual curriculum with repeated courses (ICRC) may add the newly failed courses to it.

Only fee-paying students can study under ICRC. State-funded students will have to transfer to fee-paying places if they want to repeat any courses they’ve failed.

The Individual Curriculum with Repeated Courses (ICRC) is regulated by the following document: "On Individual Curricula for Students Repeating Courses " (Annex. 6 to the Regulations for Interim and Ongoing Assessments of Students at HSE University).


How are courses repeated?

Repeating a course or its part means  taking the course in full, repeating all assessments within the timeframe set out in the course syllabus for the preceding academic year in the same field of study; or taking it together with students under a different degree programme, provided that the repeated course features1 an identical syllabus and the same number of credit points as that which was previously failed by the student.

Once the course included into an ICRC is undertaken again in full, its interim assessment may be retaken during the examination period designated in the academic calendar.

1 The comparable character of degree programmes shall be determined by the programme office, based on a comparison of their titles, credit loads and assessment formats. If discrepancies are found, this matter may be settled by the faculty’s / the programme’s evaluation committee


Does a student have to pay for repeated courses?

On top of the regular tuition fees, students who have failed courses must also pay an additional fee for repeating them, pursuant to the concluded agreement for paid educational services. Additional fee due is calculated based on the Procedures for Calculating Tuition Fees Payable by Students in Bachelor’s, Specialist and Master’s Programmes at HSE University with Modified Educational Trajectories or Tuition Discounts Revoked.


Can I study under an ICRC without transferring to a fee-paying place?

Students who study at HSE under international agreements of the Russian Federation or within the quota for education of foreign nationals set up by the Russian Government may study under an ICRC without transferring to a fee-paying place, unless transition to an ICRC is caused by the failure to choose a topic of the thesis or term paper before the final deadline (February 15). This option can only be used once throughout the entire duration of their studies at HSE.


What if I have up to two failed courses but refuse to study under an ICRC?


Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.