- The purpose of the course is to give students a thorough understanding of the economic development of mankind in historical dynamics and geographical variety.
- During the course, students must master methods of new economic history and cliometrics, and be able to practically analyze the problems of the real economy.
- master techniques for using simple economic theory to explain how various factors led to economic growth
- be able to construct economic reasons for historical events
- be able to identify and select the sort of data that is needed to do this, and how to assess how much data is needed to make valid judgements.
- define subject and method of economic history
- Introduction to economic historySubject and method of economic history. Human activities and the natural environment. Physical - geographical and economic - geographical environment. Economy and human development. Historical mentality and its impact on economic development. Values and patterns of economic behavior. Criteria of periodization. The multiplicity of approaches to periodization of economic development. Unilinear model of development. Model of cyclical development. Formational and civilizational approaches: their advantages and disadvantages. Comparison of the real with the virtual. A comparative analysis. Systematic method. Models and types. Traditional approaches to economic history. New economic history and Cliometrics. Path dependency.
- World Economic History1. Traditional Economy 2. Market Economy 2.1. Capitalism genesis in Western Europe 2.2. Industrial revolution and economic growth of the industrial society (by the example of Great Britain in XVIII – XIX) 2.3. Off-center relations in the Modern Age (by the example of American Slavery) 2.4. Developed Industrial Society 2.5. The First World War and its economic consequences 2.6. The Great Depression 3. Mixed Economy 3.1. Economic growth after the Second World War. Its peculiarities in countries of the Capitalist World-Economy core 3.2. Postindustrial Society 3.3. Economic development of the periphery of contemporary World-System in the second half of XX
- Economic History of Russia4. Pre-Command Economy 4.1. Russia in the Middle Ages 4.2. Contradiction of Catch development in pre-revolutionary Russia 5. Command Economy 5.1. The Rise of command economy USSR 5.2. The Main Features of command economy USSR 6. Post-Command Economy (Transition economy in Russia at the End of the XXth and in the beginning of XXIst century)
- Activity on lectures and classes
- Mid-term test
- Presentation of paper
- Final exam
- Interim assessment (4 module)0.15 * Activity on lectures and classes + 0.5 * Final exam + 0.2 * Mid-term test + 0.1 * Paper + 0.05 * Presentation of paper
- Allen, R. C. (2011). Global Economic History: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsrep&AN=edsrep.b.oxp.obooks.9780199596652
- O’Rourke, K. H., & Broadberry, S. N. (2010). The Cambridge Economic History of Modern Europe: Volume 1, 1700–1870. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=317639
- O’Rourke, K. H., & Broadberry, S. N. (2010). The Cambridge Economic History of Modern Europe: Volume 2, 1870 to the Present. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=317649
- Peter Temin. (1994). The Great Depression. NBER Historical Working Papers. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsrep&AN=edsrep.p.nbr.nberhi.0062
- Kenwood, A. G., Lougheed, A. L., & Graff, M. (2013). Growth of the International Economy, 1820-2015 (Vol. [Fifth edition]). New York: Routledge. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=631925
- Россия и Европа: эффект колеи (опыт институционального анализа истории экономического развития), Нуреев, Р. М., 2010
- Учебное пособие для студентов к курсу "Экономическая история", Нуреев, Р. М., 2004
- Экономическая история : учебник для бакалавров, Гловели, Г. Д., 2014