Современная социология 1
- offer an overview of key issues in contemporary sociology
- apply core substantive and theoretical debates in sociology to a diverse range of empirical societies, including your own
- Able to define and apply sociological concepts and theories to analyse social phenomena of contemporary society
- Able to define and apply the concepts of social and class stratification schemes.
- Able to define and apply the concepts of race and ethnicity, racial discrimination, old (biological) racism and new (cultural) racism, multiple racisms and institutional racism, ‘critical race theory’.
- Able to define and apply the concepts of ‘new ethnicities’ and situational identity, ethnic inequality, globalisation of ethnicity, push factors’ and ‘pull factors’ models, ethnic conflict, assimilation and integration, ethnicity and health, global differences in health, ‘mobilities research’.
- Able to define and apply the concepts of sex and gender, gender essentialism and biological determinism, gender roles, gender inequality and the history of feminisms, sexuality, heterosexuality versus homosexuality, medicalised homosexuality, heteronormativity.
- Introduction The sociologic approach to human behaviour
- Interim assessment (2 module)0.5 * Exam + 0.3 * Midterm Assessment + 0.2 * Seminars’ participation and home assignments
- Bauman, Z. and May, T. Thinking Sociologically, John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, 2001. https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=1811104
- Dillon, M. Introduction to Sociological Theory: Theorists, Concepts, and Their Applicability to the Twenty-First Century. (Wiley-Blackwell, 2009) first edition. http://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=1566387
- Cohen, R., Kennedy, P. M., & Perrier, M. (2013). Global Sociology (Vol. 3rd ed). Houndmills: Palgrave Macmillan. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1523906