• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

For 2020’s First-year Students

Dear first-year students,
Below you will find a list of important steps, which you will need to complete by the end of August and in September to settle various organizational issues, so that your studies run smoothly and you can focus on learning.

1. Move into a Dormitory (if you are a non-Moscow resident/international student)

When: by August 31

How to get your dormitory accommodation referral

For students admitted to government-funded places, i.e. 100% scholarships in HSE University’s dormitories are distributed via their personal online accounts. Access to the section Dormitory (Общежитие) in your account will be available after completing the section Offer of Admission (Согласие), as well as the recognition procedure, but not earlier than August 16, 2021. A referral to check in to your dormitory with the exact address and room number will be available in your online account three days before the date of your arrival to the Russian Federation, which you must mark in advance in your online account in accordance with the purchased ticket. Therefore, by the moment of your arrival to study, a place in one of HSE University’s dormitories will be reserved for you. Please download and print out an accommodation referral form to present at the dormitory.

The average cost of a place in a dormitory is about 2,000 rubles per month.

IMPORTANT! At the dormitory, international students shall submit the following:

  • a document confirming a negative PCR test result for Covid-19;
  • a certificate of vaccinations carried out or a copy of a certificate of preventive vaccinations (form No. 156 / y-93);
  • a medical policy purchased before arriving in the Russian Federation.

For students admitted to fee-paying places, a special accommodation service is launched. Using this new service you will be able to choose one of the available variants for living outside the HSE University. Starting June 1, you can send the request form from your personal account or fill in your request online. Please see all the details hereInformation about the service for choosing accommodation options is available on the My HSE House website

Should you have any questions, please send a message to: zaselenie@hse.ru .

About Medical Aid & Insurance:   https://www.hse.ru/en/medical/ins/

Should you have any questions, please send a message to: zaselenie@hse.ru

2. Learn about visa and registration

Visa and registration - for international students (eng)   

HSE Visa and Registration Center Contacts  

 Adress:  Moscow, 11 Pokrovsky Boulevard, Building D, D005/D006
Tel.:  8 (495) 531-00-63
Email: visa-registration@hse.ru
Homepage on HSE University portal: visa.hse.ru/en

3. Receive a Student ID Card  

Student ID cards will be issued from September 7 to September 18.   

A photograph 3x4 must be provided by September 3.  Please bring it to the study office once you are at Shabolovka.     

4. Receive a Library Card      

Read the Library Use Policy here: library.hse.ru/documents   

Fill in the online registration form on the Library website at: library.hse.ru

To get registered, you need a student ID card number and an HSE University corporate e-mail address.   

 Upon getting a library membership, every user is assigned a bar code for their personal identification, which can be used as a library card.

5. Receive a Moscow Social Card  (for public transport discounts)   

A social card can be obtained from a local office of the Moscow Multifunctional Centre (‘My Documents’).   
Step 1:  Check to see if your data has been included on the Moscow Social Register’s website:   check the register of students/residents/doctoral students.   

Step 2:  Complete registration on the   www.mos.ru   portal and submit an application for the issue of a Moscow social card through your personal account. Applications are usually processed within 30 calendar days. You can check the status of your application through your personal account.

International students  may submit an application for the issue of a Moscow social card in person at one of the My Documents centers (regardless of their place of residence or place of study).   

Step 3:  Pick up your Moscow social card from the My Documents center that you selected when making an application for it.    

Important:  if your personal data is not found in the Register, you must contact the manager of your Programme Office as soon as possible.   

6. Obtain a MIR Card from VTB Bank   (only for international students who are entitled to scholarships)     

In partnership with Branch N. 7701 of VTB Bank, HSE University’s accountants oversee the issue of scholarship debit cards (note: these are not social cards) with free banking services and with a special HSE University design (our mascot, the Crow).   

You must send to std@hse.ru  :    

a photo/scan of a completed and signed application  ;   
a photo/scan of a notarized translation of your passport;  
a photo/scan of your temporary registration.   

In the subject line of your e-mail, please state the following: «Issue of MIR scholarship card from HSE University, Year 1, 2020». A response will be sent with further instructions.   

Students will be notified about the place, date, and time for their card’s issue via their HSE University e-mail accounts.   

HSE University Accounting Contacts

(with respect to scholarships and other payments to undergrads and graduate students, as well as the issue of MIR bank cards)

Аdress:  Office К-422 (3a Krivokolenny   Pereulok, Moscow,)   
Office hours:  Mon-Fri, 9.30 am-6 pm (with a break at 1pm-2pm)        
E-mail: std@hse.ru
Tel.:  8-495-772-95-90 доб. 115-76; 114-15; 113-20
Homepage on HSE University portal: www.hse.ru/org/hse/aup/ubu/scholarships

7. Apply for a Certificate of Attendance (if necessary)

A certificate, confirming that you have been admitted to HSE University under the degree programme Business Analytics and Big Data Systems, shall be issued within five working days after an application is submitted.

How to apply for a certificate:  use the link

When:  after the issue of admission directive

8. Receive an electronic student pass

When: August 30-31, September 9, 10, 22, 30
Where: Pokrovskij bul'var,11, rooms Z-101, Z-117, HSE Cultural Centre.
Working hours: Monday - Friday 10:00 -19:00 (technical break 13:00 - 14:00) Saturday, Sunday - closed
In case of loss, breakdown, or malfunction of the electronic pass, please contact: Bol'shoy Trekhsvyatitel'skiy per., 3, room 114
Students who have completed the bachelor program at the Higher School of Economics and who have enrolled for the first year of the Master's Degree can renew their electronic passes by phone: 8 (495) 772-95-90 * 28241
For the electronic pass' issue it is necessary to carry with you: student card (renewed) or certificate from the study office (if student card is lost).
Contact number: 8 (495) 772-95-90* 11032
All students must wear personal protective equipment and have their own individual fountain pens with them!!!
Since October 1, 2021 issue of the electronic passes will take place on: Bol'shoy Trekhsvyatitel'skiy per., 3, room 114 (metro Kitay-gorod, Kurskaya, Chistye prudy)
We draw the attention of first-year students that since October 1, 2021 access to the territory of the Higher School of Economics is strictly through electronic passes.

Useful links

Academic Handbook covers all matters related to studying at HSE University.