- Associate Professor:Faculty of Humanities / Institute for Oriental and Classical Studies / Centre of Classical and Oriental Archaeology
- Irina Arzhantseva has been at HSE University since 2019.
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Lomonosov Moscow State University
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
- Archaeology of Eurasian Steppe of Iron Age and Early Middle Ages (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 1 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- Archaeology of Iran and Central Asia (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 1 year, 2-4 module)Rus
- History of Archaeological Methods, Theories and Legal Framework (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 1 year, 2-4 module)Eng
- Chapter Arzhantseva I., Härke Heinrich. Am Südost-Horizont der Wikingerwelt. Die Seidenstraße, in: Die Wikinger: Entdecker und Eroberer. Berlin : Propyläen, 2019. Ch. 5.6. P. 295-302.
- Chapter Arzhantseva I., Haerke H. G., Tazhekeev A. A. Geoarchaeology at Dzhankent: Urbanization and state formation on the Northern Silk Road, in: Proceedings of the international scientific and practical conference “Methods and methodology of archaeological sciences in archaeological field research”, 18 September 2019, Al-Farabi National Kazakh University. Almaty : Kazakh Universiteti Almaty, 2019. P. 4-11.
- Article Haerke H. G., Arzhantseva I., Tazhekeev A. A. Mittelalter anderswo: Die Stadtwüstung Dzhankent auf der nördlichen Seidenstraße // Informationen zur Archäologie des Mittelalters (Verein zur Förderung der Archäologie des Mittelalters, Schloss Hohentübingen) (Germany). 2019. Vol. 18. P. 6-9.
- Chapter Haerke H. G., Arzhantseva I., Tazhekeev A. A. Project "Nomad state formation and urbanization: The early medieval town of Dzhankent (Aral Sea region, Kazakhstan)", in: Antiquities of East Europe, South Asia and South Siberia in the Context of Connections and Interactions within the Eurasian Cultural Space (new data and concepts). St. Petersburg : IIMK RAN, 2019. doi P. 239-241. doi
- Chapter Arzhantseva I., Härke Heinrich. “The General and his Army”: Metropolitans and Locals on the Khorezmian Expedition, in: “Masters” and “Natives”: Digging the Others’ Past. De Gruyter Oldenbourg, 2019. P. 137-174. doi
- Book Аржанцева И. А., Болелов С. Б., Тажекеев А. А. История исследований Хорезмской экспедиции на землях Сыра Ч. 1. М., Кызылорда : Олеабук, 2018.
- Chapter Haerke H. G., Arzhantseva I., Tazhekeev A. A. Urbanization and state formation on the northern Silk Road: The Dzhankent Project, in: Relevant Problems and Prospects for the Preparation of Competitive Specialists. Proceedings of the International scientific-practical conference dedicated to the 80th anniversary of Korkyt Ata Kyzylorda State University, November 17, 2017.. Kyzylorda (Kazakhstan): Korkyt Ata State University of Kyzylorda (Kazakhstan), 2017. P. 30-37.
- Book Аржанцева И. А. Хорезм: история открытий и исследований / Отв. ред.: В. Тишков. Ульяновск : Артишок, 2016.
- 2019Роль земли Сыра в истории, культуре и искусстве тюркских народов (Кызыл-Орда). Presentation: Работы Хорезмской археологической экспедиции в Низовьях Сырдарьи
- Мемориальная конференция, посвященная 90-летию со дня рождения профессора М. М. Блиева (Владикавказ). Presentation: Зилги: как все начиналось
Professor Heinrich Haerke, a renowned archaeology expert, has been cooperating with HSE University researchers for a long time. This year he has joined HSE as a Professor at the recently formed Centre for Classical and Oriental Archaeology. He has talked to HSE News Service about his research interests, field projects, and teaching archaeology.
From the 1st of August to the 15th of September, 2018, in Dzhankent (Kazalinsk district, Kyzylorda region, Republic of Kazakhstan) there was hosted an international archaeological expedition under direction of Irina Arzhantseva. Excavations were carried out in frames of the project “Nomad state formation and urbanization on the northern Silk Road: The early medieval town of Dzhankent (Aral Sea region, Kazakhstan)” funded by the German research society (DFG).
In the second week of September, at the end of this year’s excavation season at Dzhankent, an international group of experts gathered in western Kazakhstan for an intensive workshop discussing archaeological work at Dzankent and its results so far.
Participation of Irina Arzhantseva and Heirich Härke in the International Congress in St. Petersburg
From the 6th to the 8th of June, the International Congress “Cultural heritage of Uzbekistan – the path to dialogue between peoples and countries” was held in St. Petersburg. The event was dedicated to the publication of 15 unique books, albums and documentaries dedicated to the collections of historical and cultural monuments of the peoples of Uzbekistan. Irina Arzhantseva and Heinrich Härke are the authors of the volume “The works of the Khorezm expedition in Uzbekistan. Archival material”.
At the end of April this year, Dr. Arhzantseva and Prof. Härke flew to the USA to attend a workshop at the famous Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton. The workshop was entitled Climate, Archaeology and History in the Eurasian Middle Ages, and it was organised by Prof. Nicola DiCosmo, a renowned expert on early historical nomads and their interaction with China and other civilizations.