- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Valery Katkalo has been at HSE University since 2014.
Mr. Katkalo coordinates the following activities at HSE University:
- Developing an internationally recognized business school, through integrating all types of degree studies and continuing education in management;
- Education and research at the HSE Faculty of Business and Management;
- Implementation of continuing education programmes and degree programmes (Bachelor’s and Specialist’s) for people, who already have a degree;
- Developing and implementing HSE’s strategy in relevant spheres.
He coordinates the following HSE departments:
- Banking Institute;
- Higher School of Business Informatics;
- Higher School of Marketing and Business Development;
- Higher School of Management;
- Higher School of Project Management;
- Higher School of Law;
- Institute of Communication Management;
- Institute for Training and Retraining Military Experts;
- A.B. Soloviev Institute for State and Local Procurement Management;
- Institute of Practical Psychology;
- Institute of Professional Retraining;
- Institute of Tax Management and Real Estate Economics;
- International Center of Training in Logistics;
- ‘Accounting and Audit’ Education and Methodology Centre;
- Center of Corporate Management;
- Faculty of Business and Management.
Mr. Katkalo also coordinates the activities of other HSE departments, including those at its regional campuses, with respect to the areas listed above.
Professor Katkalo received undergraduate (1986, with honors) and Doctoral (1989) degrees in Economics from St.Petersburg University, and did post-doctoral studies at Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley (1990-91). He has taught at several European business schools. His research on evolution of strategic management theory and management education was published in 8 books and in the top international and Russian peer-reviewed and professional journals.
During 1997-2012 he led (as the Dean and later as the SPbU Vice-Rector) the Graduate School of Management at SPbU, the first and the only Russian business school that has been accepted to CEMS Global Alliance, achieved the EQUIS accreditation and got in the Financial Times global ranking.
During Dec.2012-Dec.2018 he served as the Dean of Sberbank Corporate University, which has received for the first time in the Russian business history the CLIP accreditation and the EOCCS certification for its three online programs.
Professor Katkalo is the Vice President of EFMD and the member of the Boards of Trustees of EFMD and Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology, and Supervisory Board of the Far Eastern Federal University. During 2008-2013 he also served on several Advisory Boards for global business schools (HEC-Paris, Fuqua School at Duke University, WU-Vienna); during 2010-2018 - as the Chairman of the EPAS Accreditation Board at EFMD; during 2013-2017 - on the Board of Directors of PJSC Transneft.
He has been awarded with the Letter of Appreciation from the President of the Russian Federation, with three state medals, and with the title of the Distinguished Worker of the Russian Higher Education.
Professor Valery Katkalo has taught at several business schools in Europe.
From 1997-2012, he supervised (as Dean and then Vice Rector of St. Petersburg State University) the establishment and development of the Graduate School of Management, the first and only Russian business school admitted to the global Alliance CEMS, accredited by EQUIS and included in the Financial Times global ranking.
From December 2012 to December 2018 he worked as Dean of Sberbank Corporate University. In 2016, the university was the first Russian business institution to receive CLIP accreditation from the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) as well as EOCCS certification for three online programmes.
Valery Katkalo is Vice President of EFMD, a member of EFMD Board, a member the Board of Trustees of SKOLKOVO Institute of Science and Technology, and a member of the Supervisory Board of the Far Eastern Federal University. From 2008-2013 he was a member of the Board of Trustees of a number of world leading business schools (HEC-Paris, Fuqua School at Duke University, and WU-Vienna); from 2010-2018 he served as Chairman of the EPAS/EFMD Accreditation Board; and from 2013-2017 he was a member of the Board of Directors of Transneft.
On September 20, 2019 Faculty of Business & Management organized the first seminar on preparation of Bachelor and Master programmes in Management for accreditation in accordance with EPAS quality standards of the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD). More than 60 participants from HSE campuses in Moscow, St Petersburg, Perm and Nizhny Novgorod attended the event.
On the second day of the conference ‘Education and World Cities 2019: New Horizons of University Reputation’ participants discussed university reputation beyond the rankings, the importance of establishing distinctiveness, as well as the role of international accreditations in the development of universities and business schools.