- Vice Rector
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Ivan Prostakov has been at HSE since 2016.
Vice Rector responsible for HSE’s international relations
- Strategic planning with respect to HSE’s international activities;
- Coordinating matters relating to HSE’s international cooperation with Russian and international government authorities, local municipal bodies, universities and other institutions engaged in educational activities;
- Preparing and carrying out projects with respect to international cooperation and activities;
- Internationalizing HSE’s internal environment and operations;
- Coordinating HSE’s activities relating to its entry onto new educational markets and global promotion of the University’s degree programmes, as well as attracting international students to HSE degree programmes (with the exception for continuing education programmes);
- Coordinating and monitoring the organization of Russian and international conferences, seminars, roundtables, presentations and other events hosted/co-hosted by HSE, including official social events;
- Establishing liaisons with the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation and the Federal Agency for the CIS Issues, Living Abroad Compatriots and International Humanitarian Cooperation (Rossotrudnichestvo) in regards to educational quotas established by the Russian Government for admitting foreign nationals and stateless persons to HSE’s degree programmes (hereafter, “educational quotas”) and distribution of quotas within the University, as well as coordinating the HSE Quota Committee’s operations and other quota related issues;
- Coordinating the operations of HSE’s International Advisory Council;
- Coordinating and monitoring the operations of the Office of Internationalisation;
- Coordinating and monitoring the operations of the International Cooperation Office;
- Coordinating and monitoring the operations of the Event Organization Office;
- Coordinating and monitoring the operations of the Office for Cooperation with the CIS and Baltic States, and the International Admissions Office;
- For further details, please refer to the Directive "On the Powers, Duties and Responsibilities of Vice Rector Ivan Prostakov" (in Russian).
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
- Chapter Кузьминов Я. И., Радаев В. В., Простаков И. В., Сухомлинова О. Корпоративность как факт социально-экономического развития российской экономики // В кн.: Очерки экономической теории корпоративного строя. М. : Издательский дом ГУ-ВШЭ, 1994.
- Article Prostakov I., Ananyin O. I., Kuzminov Y. I., Korolkov M. P. Economic reform: Institutional and structural aspects // Problems of Economic Transition. 1993. Vol. 36. No. 7. P. 52-65.
- Article Кузьминов Я. И., Ананьин О. И., Простаков И. В. Институциональный и структурный аспект реформы: мировой опыт и российская ситуация // Экономика. 1993. № 1. С. 90-111.
- Article Кузьминов Я. И., Ананьин О. И., Простаков И. В., Корольков М. П. Экономическая реформа: Институциональный и структурный аспекты // Свободная мысль. 1992. № 2
2012-2015 — Advisor to the Secretary General, International Bureau of Expositions
2002-2012 — Trade representative of the Russian Federation in France
1994-2002 — Senior economist, later General Representative, Russian State Tourism Committee
1991-1994 — Senior research fellow, RAS Institute of Economics
1989-1991 — Researcher, Economics Department, Lomonosov Moscow State University
New faculties, personnel development, internationalisation, and much more – these are all things on the agenda of the annual International Advisory Committee (IAC) meeting currently taking place in Moscow.
For the first time ever, the Higher School of Economics hosted EduLAB, an annual conference for university leadership. Participants discussed the challenges universities face in the digital age, as well as prospects for interuniversity cooperation, specifically as part of a wider project for European universities.
A double degree implemented by HSE and Kyung Hee University in Economics and Politics in Asia was unveiled at the HSE Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs. The first enrolment in the programme took place this summer. Participants of the presentation included Lee Jin-hyun, Deputy Ambassador of the Republic of Korea; Khan Gon, Vice President of Kyung Hee University; as well as representatives from the embassies of China, Japan, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Malaysia in Russia.
HSE has hosted its graduation ceremony for students of the international programme French (European) Economic Law, which the university carries out in conjunction with long-time HSE partner Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne. HSE Vice Rector Sergey Roshchin gave out the diplomas, as did Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne leadership, a first in the programme’s history.
International Partner Week at HSE has brought together representatives of 25 universities from 15 countries of Europe, South-East Asia and the U.S., with which HSE has various cooperation agreements. During the event, the participants exchange information about their universities and their internationalization initiatives.
International students have been enrolled in HSE undergraduate and graduate programmes this academic year. About 800 people will study on Russian government scholarships while the rest will pay tuition fees. Compared to last year, the number of international students among first-year fee-paying students has increased by about 80%.
The 10th International Symposium of Overseas Indonesian Students Association Alliance (OISAA) will take place from July 23–26 at HSE’s Moscow campus. The event has brought together opinion leaders, experts and students from Russia and Southeast Asia to discuss the role of young Indonesians in the development of Indonesia in the fields of education, culture, tourism and healthcare.
On July 2 — 3, HSE University hosted a delegation from the National Economics University (Hanoi, Vietnam) in Moscow and St. Petersburg. HSE and NEU signed a cooperation agreement, which covers a range of areas, including the development of academic exchange programmes for students and staff, joint research projects, as well as joint cultural and recruiting events.
The Higher School of Economics has climbed to 38th place in the QS Young University ranking rising 10 places compared to the last year.
In its fifth year already, the HSE Summer University was officially opened on June 20th by Vice Rector, Ivan Prostakov. Over the next 8 weeks, HSE will provide almost 200 students, PhD candidates, postdocs and professionals from all around the world with the opportunity to enhance their knowledge in a wide range of fields. Many of the courses, all of which are taught in English, focus on areas such as politics, history, economics, and Russian and Eurasian cultures.
The Higher School of Economics ranked 38th in the QS ranking of young universities, up from 48th last year.
The HSE has climbed to 84th position in the Young Universities Times Higher Education Ranking. The ranking assesses universities that were founded less than 50 years ago according to methodology used in the main THE ranking, which is published in autumn
The HSE has climbed to 84th position in the Young Universities Times Higher Education Ranking. The ranking assesses universities that were founded less than 50 years ago according to methodology used in the main THE ranking, which is published in autumn.
Less than two weeks remain until the start of the 2018 FIFA World Cup™, which is being held in Russia for the first time in history. During the tournament, the international conference 'Sport and the Future' will take place in Moscow, starting on June 29. The event will gather over 300 representatives from international sporting organisations, leading experts on worldwide sports and the heads of international and national football associations, leagues and clubs.
On March 25-29, Singapore hosted the annual forum of the Asia-Pacific Association for International Education (APAIE), which has become one of the world's leading platforms for dialogue, exchange of experience and discussion of key trends in higher education.
On 19-23 February 2018 the HSE delegation headed by HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov made a grand tour in Italy visiting 7 partner universities in the North of Italy and meeting around 100 colleagues. HSE delegation members were honored to take part in theCeremony dedicated to 150th Anniversary of Ca' Foscari University of Venice  and official opening of the Academic Year 2017/2018 that was attended by Ca Foscari faculty staff and students, leaders of other local institutions and by the President of the Italian Republic Sergio Mattarella. Within the opening the HSE Rector took part in the academic procession together with Ca Foscari Rector Professor Michele Bugliesi and other 20 participants wearing their universities mantles including leaders of HSE partner universities such as Provost of University College London Professor Arthur, President of Korea University Professor Yeom, Rector of University of Naples Federico II Professir Manfredi, Rector of University of Bergamo Professor Pellegrini Morzenti and others.
 HSE cooperates with Ca Foscari University in Venice since 2012. As for now 16 students from Ca Foscari are on the exchange at HSE, and 18 HSE students study in Venice.
The eighth annual session of the HSE International Advisory Committee has come to a close. Its chairman Eric Maskin, Nobel laureate in economics, summed up the results of the committee’s work.
International Advisory Committee Meets at HSE: 'The University Is Quick to Respond to Recommendations'
Each year, the HSE International Advisory Committee (IAC) meets in Moscow under the leadership of Nobel laureate Eric Maskin. Committee members focus on reorganising the post-graduate school, updating educational and staffing policies, and a number of other important issues.
The workshop on ‘Big Data and Applications’ was organized by HSE School of Business Informatics, Institut Mines-Télécom in association with CNRS MADICS with the support of the French Embassy in Russia, and the French Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation.
The HSE International College of Economics and Finance (ICEF) is turning 20. The college celebrated its anniversary with a gala at the Pushkin Museum and with its largest graduating class ever.
In the latest Times Higher Education university rankings, the Higher School of Economics rose to the 351-400 category among 1,102 schools worldwide. This is an improvement on last year, when HSE was in the 401-500 group, with the university ranking fourth among the 27 Russian universities that made it to the ranking.
Representatives of about 30 international universities have come to Moscow to take part in International Partner Week at HSE and discuss cooperation agreements, joint educational programmes, and research and student exchange programmes. On June 23, a partner university fair will be held for HSE students.
On June 19 the Higher School of Economics signed a cooperation agreement with Hitotsubashi University in Japan. The agreement covers mutual visits for lecturers and researchers, student exchange programmes, as well as joint research projects, academic events, and publications.
From April 20 – 30, 2017, students from Radboud University Nijmegen took part in a cultural and educational programme organized by the Faculty of Computer Science as part of the ‘Information and Computer Technology in Different Cultures’ course.
The Higher School of Economics has launched the HSE International Student Information Centre Office in Indonesia and Malaysia. The university is collaborating with ImageRnR-Indonesia, which acts as an educational promotion and marketing planner to promote HSE and act as the university’s representative in Indonesia and other countries in Southeast Asia.
During his business trip to Pantheon-Sorbonne Paris 1 University, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov awarded Michel Sollogoub with the first Friend of HSE statuette in the history of the Golden HSE Award.
HSE recently committed to developing a Chinese version of the university’s Admissions site, which is the result of a joint effort by the Online Media Unit, the School of Asian Studies, and Chinese students at HSE. Rather than a ‘brochure-type’ webpage, the site contains nearly all information needed for Chinese students to enrol in undergraduate, Master’s and doctoral programmes offered by HSE. This means that a prospective students from China are not only able to read about HSE, but to complete an online form and even check whether they can receive a scholarship.
HSE Vice Rector Ivan Prostakov discusses the results of a recent International Advisory Committee (IAC) meeting, as well as the priorities the university has set for its international activities.
Participants of the ‘Big Data Applications’ research workshop, which took place in the beginning of December, discussed big data and prospects for Russian-French cooperation in this area. The workshop, held at HSE, brought together about 50 participants from leading research centres, universities, governmental bodies and IT companies in both Russia and France.
The University has adopted new regulations on the formats used in signs, pointers and announcements regarding events held within University grounds. They will now need to follow one template and must display the names and contact details of those responsible for the event. Will these regulations be used for student events, and does this mean there is one template for all announcements? We look into it.
‘I Want to Travel across all of Russia — From Moscow to Vladivostok’. What Summer University Students Dream about
June 20th marked the start of HSE’s third Summer University. This year’s programme saw the participation of students from 25 different countries.