- Laboratory Head:Laboratory for Comparative Social Research
- Professor, Head:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities / Department of Sociology
- Tenured Professor (2014)
- Eduard Ponarin has been at HSE since 2007.
Education and Degrees
University of Michigan
Thesis Title: Social Values in Estonia
Leningrad State University
Student Term / Thesis Papers
Shherbachuk V. «Почему люди помогают друг другу? Межстрановой анализ участия в волонтерских организациях». St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities, 2015
Davy'dov A. «Индивидуалистические ценности и уровень юнионизации: межстрановой анализ». St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities, 2015
- Analysis of Sociological Data (Master’s programme; St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities; programme "Politics and Governance"; 1 year, 3, 4 module)
- Analysis of Sociological Data (Master’s programme; St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities; programme "Modern Social Analysis"; 1 year, 3, 4 module)
- Multi-level regression analysis (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Comparative Social Research"; 1 year, 4 module)
- Applied research: Happiness and Subjective Well-being Research (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Comparative Social Research"; 1 year, 3 module)
- Analysis of Sociological Data (Master’s programme; St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities; programme "Modern Social Analysis"; 1 year, 3, 4 module)
- Multi-level regression analysis (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Comparative Social Research"; 1 year, 3 module)
- Book Инглхарт Р. Ф., Циммерман У., Понарин Э. Д., Лазарев Е. А., Соколов Б. О., Вартанова И. А., Туранова Е. Г. Российская элита-2020. Аналитический доклад грантополучателей Международного дискуссионного клуба «Валдай» / Пер. с англ. М. : Международный Дискуссионный клуб "Валдай", 2013.
- Book Александров Д. А., Понарин Э. Д., Костенко В. В. Кавказ и Средняя Азия. Курс лекций для социальных работников. Предназначен для помощи в практической работе с мигрантами из Средней Азии и Кавказа Ч. 2. М. : Международная Организация Труда, 2012.
- Book Александров Д. А., Понарин Э. Д., Костенко В. В. Кавказ и Средняя Азия. Учебный курс для социальных работников. Общие положения о географии, культуре и религии мигрантов из Средней Азии и Кавказа Ч. 1. М. : Международная Организация Труда, 2012.
- Book Ponarin E. The potential of radical Islam in Tatarstan. Budapest : International Policy Fellowship Program, 2008.
Articles and book chapters16
- Article Понарин Э. Д., Комин М. О. Новый русский национализм: имперскость или этничность? // Полития: Анализ. Хроника. Прогноз. 2016 (in print)
- Article Чудецкий А. Н., Юсупова Г. Н., Понарин Э. Д. Трудовая миграция и инкорпорация мигрантов из Средней Азии // Этнографическое обозрение. 2016
- Article Veronica Kostenko, Pavel Kuzmichev, Ponarin E. Attitudes towards Gender Equality and Perception of Democracy in the Arab World // Democratization. 2015. Vol. 22 doi (in print)
- Article Понарин Э. Д., Соколов Б. О. Вернуть Украину: Рессентимент и будущая российская "реконкиста" общественного мнения Украины // Россия в глобальной политике. 2015. Т. 13. № 2. С. 91-100.
- Chapter Костенко В. В., Кузьмичёв П., Понарин Э. Д. Отношение к гендерному равноправию и к демократии на Арабском Востоке // В кн.: XV апрельская международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества: в 4-х книгах / Отв. ред.: Е. Г. Ясин. Кн. 3. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2015. С. 350-359.
- Article Inglehart R. F., Borinskaya S., Cotter A., Harro J., Inglehart R. C., Ponarin E., Welzel C. Genetic Factors, Cultural Predispositions, Happiness and Gender Equality // Journal of Research in Gender Studies. 2014. Vol. 4. P. 32-100.
- Article Usenko V. S., Svirin S. N., Shchekaturov Y. N., Ponarin E. Impact of some types of mass gatherings on current suicide risk in an urban population: statistical and negative binomial regression analysis of time series. // BMC Public Health. 2014. Vol. 14
- Article Понарин Э. Д., Соколов Б. О. Глобальная политика глазами российской элиты: анализ данных опросов 1993-2012 // Россия в глобальной политике. 2014. № 5. С. 100-112.
- Article Костенко В. В., Кузьмичев П. А., Понарин Э. Д. Не та демократия. Архаизация ценностей на Ближнем Востоке после распада СССР. // Россия в глобальной политике. 2014. Т. 12. № 4. С. 182-191.
- Article Инглхарт Р. Ф., Понарин Э. Д., Равлик М. В. Регрессионные модели в оценке факторов международной миграции // СоцИс. 2014. № 11. С. 23-33.
- Article Понарин Э. Д., Лисовский А. В., Зеликова Ю. А. МОДЕЛИ ДЛЯ ПУАССОНОВСКИХ ЗАВИСИМЫХ ПЕРЕМЕННЫХ: МОЖНО ЛИ ПРОГНОЗИРОВАТЬ РЕЗУЛЬТАТИВНОСТЬ ФУТБОЛЬНЫХ МАТЧЕЙ? // Социология: 4М. 2013. № 36. С. 36-64. (in print)
- Article Понарин Э. Д., Жирков К. А. Национализм этнический и политический: институциональные факторы татарского национализма в республиках Волжско-Уральского региона // Мир России: Социология, этнология. 2013. Т. 22. № 3. С. 152-177.
- Article Вельцель К. П., Инглхарт Р. Ф., Александер Э., Понарин Э. Д. Распутывание связей между культурой и институтами на примере эмансипации человечества // Журнал социологии и социальной антропологии. 2012. Т. XV. № 4 (63). С. 12-43.
- Article Ponarin E. Changing Federalism and the Islamic Challenge in Tatarstan // Demokratizatsiya. 2008. Vol. 16. No. 3. P. 265-276.
- Preprint Kostenko V., Kuzmichev P., Ponarin E. Attitudes Towards Gender Equality and Perception of Democracy in the Arab World. / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2014. No. 50.
- Preprint Inglehart R. F., Foa R., Ponarin E., Welzel C. UNDERSTANDING THE RUSSIAN MALAISE: THE COLLAPSE AND RECOVERY OF SUBJECTIVE WELL-BEING IN POST-COMMUNIST RUSSIA / Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP 32/SOC/2013 "BASIC RESEARCH PROGRAM WORKING PAPERS SERIES: SOCIOLOGY". 2013.
- 2014- Chair, Department of Sociology, HSE St. Petersburg
- 2013- Member of the Executive Council, World Values Survey Association
- 2009- Director, Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (HSE Moscow)
- 2008- Professor, Higher School of Economics (St. Petersburg)
- 2009 Fellow, Collegium for Advanced Studies, University of Helsinki
- 2005-2008 Chair, Department of Political Science and Sociology, European University at St. Petersburg
- 2005-2007 International Policy Fellow, Open Society Institute (Budapest)
- 2003-2006 PONARS Executive Committee member (Program on New Approaches to Russian Security)
- 2002-2007 Visiting Professor at the Kazan State University (summer schools financed by the Ford Foundation)
- 1998-2005 Associate Professor, Department of Political Science and Sociology, European University at St. Petersburg
- 1997 Research Fellow St. Petersburg Branch of the Institute of Sociology, Russian Academy of Sciences
- 1990-1996 Research Assistant, Population Studies Center, University of Michigan
- 1989-1996 Graduate Student, Department of Sociology, University of Michigan
- 1988-1989 Assistant Professor, Institute of Culture (Leningrad)
- 1986-1988 Battery Commander, the Soviet Army
Laboratory for Comparative Social Research, Director
Department of Sociology at the HSE St. Petersburg Campus, Professor and Chair
Eduard Ponarin, the Director of the Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR) of the HSE and Boris Sokolov, the Junior Research Fellow at the LCSR of the HSE speak about the evolution of anti-Americanism in post-Soviet Russia
On July 31st in Moscow the Valdai Discussion Club launched the first report prepared under the auspices of the Research Grants Program of the Foundation for the Development and Support of the Valdai Discussion Club.
The mass protests in 2011 and 2012 have caused heated debates about the trajectory of Russian politics. Some experts believe that this political awakening portends an early end to Putin's rule, while others predict a crackdown on the opposition and perhaps even mass repressions.
Master’s programme in Comparative Social Research was launched in 2014 and has been rapidly developing since. Its Academic Supervisor Christian Fröhlich talks about what the programme offers the applicants and what makes it unique.
On January 31st – February 3rd 2016, the Winter School of the Faculty of Social Sciences was held at the ‘Voronovo’ Learning Centre, HSE. During the event, potential master’s students took part in master classes, business cases and meetings with students and graduates of the faculty’s educational programmes.
Public misperceptions of inequality; Sanctions hit the best companies; How high is mortality in Russia?; How the type of university affects graduates' salaries; What national pride means; Muslims sharing a Protestant ethic; Economic inactivity among Russians; Russian travellers reluctant to book hotels online; The right to be forgotten; and Analysts can be wrong – these were the HSE's most interesting research papers in 2015, according to Opec.ru.
On November 13-14 a meeting of the Executive Committee and the Scientific Advisory Committee of the World Values Survey Association was held at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow. The main mission of the meeting was the design of the master questionnaire for the new wave of the World Values Survey to be launched in 2017. World Values Survey scholars are also participating in the LCSR 5th International Annual Research Conference 'Cultural and Economic changes under cross-national perspective' which is currently underway at HSE. Christian Haerpfer, President of the World Values Association, has talked to HSE News Service about the survey and the preparation for its new wave.
The International Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR) was established in 2010 in the first wave of a competition for government mega-grants to attract major academics from abroad to Russian universities. The famous American sociologist and political scientist Ronald Inglehart, Founding President of the World Values Survey and professor at the University of Michigan, became the laboratory’s first Academic Supervisor.
As the 5th LCSR Summer School on ‘Introduction to Factorial Design and Data Visualisation with R’ came to a close on August 3, participants commented on their experience and shared their impressions.
HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research sign partnership agreement with the Social and Economic Survey Research Institute. The Social and Economic Survey Research Institute (SESRI) is a social scientific survey research. It was established in October 2008 with enthusiastic support from the leadership of Qatar University and falls under the Office of the President.
It is five years since the HSE began setting up international laboratories. HSE’s Deputy Vice-Rector, Marina Litvintseva, Head of Laboratory for Algebraic Geometry, Fedor Bogomolov, and Ronald Inglehart and Eduard Ponarin from HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research reflect on the results of the work conducted last year and on the achievements of the laboratories.
A week-long training methodological workshop 'Economic and Social Changes: values effects across Eurasia' on advanced quantitative methods in comparative studies took place in April. The workshop was jointly organized by the Eurasia Business and Economics Society (EBES), Turkey, and HSE's Laboratory for Comparative Social Research. The workshop included presentations by the members of LCSR and EBES, series of practical workshops, as well as reports of the participants.
Students of the international Master’s programme in Comparative Social Research, which opened in 2014, spent their first semester studying at the Moscow campus of the Higher School of Economics; the second semester was spent in St. Petersburg. Another six months will be devoted to study abroad. Mobility in the educational process is an important principle of the programme that allows future sociologists to better understand social reality. The English-language programme turned out to of interest not only to Russian students, but also to graduates of prestigious foreign universities.
Why are Russians unhappy; who serves the dictators; how to reform control and supervision;Trade versus wars; Russia’s new citizens; what do Russian and Chinese banks have in common; why analysts don’t predict recession; the provincial social environment and physical isolation of rural settlements: the most interesting research by HSE in 2014. According to Opec.ru.
Attitudes towards family and sexual norms vary widely across the former Soviet Union republics. At the country level, economic development and the level of religiosity both help to determine attitudes, while age plays an important role at the individual level. Middle-aged people tend to be more liberal than those who are older or younger, according to a study conducted by Sofia Lopatina, Veronica Kostenko, and Eduard Ponarin of the HSE's Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR) in St. Petersburg.
Followers of older, more established religions are less likely to commit suicide than adepts of newer faiths. Factors influencing the risk of suicide include a feeling of isolation from the majority and a belief in life after death, according to a study by Eduard Ponarin, Director of the HSE's Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR) in St. Petersburg, and Vassily Usenko, M.D., Ph.D., from Dnipropetrovsk
On November 10-15, the IV International Conference ‘Cultural and Economic Changes in a Comparative Perspective’ took place in St. Petersburg. Organized by HSE’s Laboratory for Comparative Social Research, the conference has traditionally brought together Russian and foreign scholars working on issues of values, trust, social capital, corruption and inequality in a changing world, as well as the role of religion in political activity and other social issues in Russia and other countries.
From November 10 to 14, the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research’s (LCSR NRU HSE) 4th International Annual Research Conference ‘Cultural and Economic changes under cross-national perspective’ will take place in St. Petersburg. The programme includes dozens of themed sessions on current social, political and economic problems, and lectures by the world’s leading sociologists.
On September 26 twelve HSE faculty members were promoted to Tenured Professors.
Mass gatherings can trigger suicidal behaviour when people experience the so-called 'broken promises effect' when the hoped-for miracle fails to happen, according to an international team of researchers, including Eduard Ponarin, Head of the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR) in St. Petersburg, who studied the association between mass events and suicidal behaviour
If laws exist at the state level that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, then the impact of individual values creating a negative attitude towards homosexuality falls. People are inclined to adapt their behavior to conventional norms. A group of European researchers came to this conclusion over the course of an international study, the results of which Peter Schmidt presented at the XV April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development of the Higher School of Economics
A new English-taught master’s programme at the HSE, ‘International Master in Comparative Social Research’, will allow students to acquire the knowledge and skills that are in demand on the global market for social research. Applications are due by May 31, 2014.
Elite motorists pose a mortal threat to the public; Russians are blowing their chances of building good public institutions; social media can bury politicians; reasons why our society is morally unstable and why expensive medical equipment is available but unused – these were the HSE's 13 most interesting and relevant research projects in 2013, according to Opec.ru.
Authoritarianism has a future in Russia. In the next two decades, the 1980s generation will start to join the higher echelons of Russian society. But the situation is such that the change of generation of the elites will have little effect on the transformation of the political regime. Or so the authors of research on “The Russian elite in 2020” have concluded
How can we measure the level of happiness or the prevalence of any beliefs in society? Young scientists have mastered advanced statistical methods used in social research during the third summer school of the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research, which recently took place in Zelenogorsk.
The future generation of Russia's political managers is unlikely to embrace a democratic society, regardless of the protests emerging in the country today, the study 'Russian Elites-2020' shows
Russians are more concerned about material success than self-realization, in spite of a global shift from survival values to self-expression values. ‘Happiness in Russia in Comparative Perspective’, is a paper by Edouard Ponarin, Director of the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR)
On November 25th a reporting conference of the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR) on ‘Comparative Sociology in Quantitative Perspective’ was held at the HSE.
In late August 2011, the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR) carried out its first international summer school in Russia. This was dedicated to statistical methods of analysis in sociology, and particularly, multilevel analysis. Eduard Ponarin, Head of the LCSR and Professor at the Saint-Petersburg branch of the HSE, told us about more about this school.