- To extend students’ expertise in the field of STI
- To assist students in identifying relevant topics for their master research, and developing proper research design
- To equip students with knowledge and skills necessary for the successful development of MTRPs and further realization of their research projects
- To train students’ analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to identify and describe problems, develop problem solution strategies, find information and data sources and process these
- Ability to identify and communicate the form and amount of information needed for decision making; check completeness, process and interpret information
- Introduction to the courseBasic guidelines and requirements of the course. Schedule and deadlines. Academic control. Criteria for written papers evaluation. Students are welcomed to share their aspirations and research interests and questions, which should be discussed at the course.
- Research basics: a brief tour to research design and academic writingResearch topic and research problem. Research questions types and requirements. Research design and methodology. Academic writing - style and structure of master thesis.
- A world to survive in: new social practices for scientistsR&D performance and assessment. Academic entrepreneurship and transformation of researcher’s profession. Big Data Challenge.
- Social impact of technological progressSocial transformations caused by digital technologies and overall technological growth. Digital inequality. Social risks and ethical problems of artificial intelligence.
- Technological development as a factor of a nation’s successTechnological upgrading and catching-up: factors and strategies. Current technological frontier and positions of the lagging behind countries. Cities as the centers of technological development and innovation. Rural innovation.
- Commercialization of R&D results: forms and trends in emerging economiesEvaluation of R&D commercialization potential. Strategies of R&D commercialization. Technology transfer offices. University-industry linkages.
- Innovation studies: new horizonsCurrent agenda in STI studies. Research needs and social challenges.
- Academic pitch sessionPresentation of students’ projects
- Master thesis research proposals - writtingConsultations on individual research projects are provided on request
- Master thesis research proposal - oral defense
- MTRPMTRP is a brief introduction of a research project designed for a master thesis.
- In-class participation
- Pitch presentation
- Master Thesis Research Proposal (defense)
- Interim assessment (2 module)0.3 * Colloquium + 0.3 * MTRP + 0.2 * Peer-review + 0.2 * Pre-defense
- Cargill, M., & O’Connor, P. (2013). Writing Scientific Research Articles : Strategy and Steps (Vol. Second edition). Chichester, West Sussex, UK: Wiley-Blackwell. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=568792
- Ligia MUNTEAN JEMNA. (2016). Qualitative And Mixed Research Methods In Economics: The Added Value When Using Qualitative Research Methods. Journal of Public Administration, Finance and Law, (9), 154. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsrep&AN=edsrep.a.aic.jopafl.y2016v9p154.167
- Martin, B. R. (2016). Twenty challenges for innovation studies. Science & Public Policy (SPP), 43(3), 432–450. https://doi.org/10.1093/scipol/scv077
- Ben Martin, Paul Nightingale, & Alfredo Yegros-Yegros. (2011). Science and Technology Studies: Exploring the Knowledge Base. Working Papers on Innovation Studies. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsrep&AN=edsrep.p.tik.inowpp.20111004
- Duarte, N. (2008). Slide:ology : The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations (Vol. 1st ed). Beijing: O’Reilly Media. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=412140
- Michael Jay Katz. (n.d.). FROM RESEARCH TO MANUSCRIPT From Research to Manuscript A Guide to Scientific Writing. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsbas&AN=edsbas.527E83F3