- Department Head, Associate Professor:Faculty of Economic Sciences / Department of Theoretical Economics
- Leading Research Fellow:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / Center for Market Studies and Spatial Economics
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Alexander Tarasov has been at HSE University since 2015.
Research affiliate of CESifo
My main research interests lie in the field of theoretical, empirical, and quantitative International Economics. I also work in Spatial Economics, Organizational Economics, and Economics of Education.
Education and Degrees
Pennsylvania State University
Master's in Economics
New Economic School
Degree in Applied Mathematics
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Department of Mechanics and Mathematics
Lomonosov Moscow State University
Associate Professor of Economics, National Research University Higher School of Economics, January 2017 – present
Assistant Professor of Economics, National Research University Higher School of Economics, September 2015 – January 2017
Assistant Professor of Economics, University of Munich, October 2009 – September 2015
Student Term / Thesis Papers
D. Gasparian, International Trade and Skill Premium: the Case of Russia. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2019
K. Sokolov, Export Revenues and Exchange Rate: the Case of Russia. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2018
Н. Кононова, International Trade in Goods and Services: The Case of Russia. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2021
D. Kuznetsov, Modeling the Impact of Economic Sanctions of 2014th on Russian Economy. Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs, 2019
- Methodological Research Seminar (Master’s programme; Faculty of Economic Sciences; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Research Project Seminar (Optional course (faculty); Faculty of Economic Sciences; 1-3 module)Rus
- Research Seminar (Master’s programme; Faculty of Economic Sciences; 2 year, 1-3 module)Eng
- Research Seminar (Master’s programme; Faculty of Economic Sciences; 1 year, 1-4 module)Eng
International Trade Course
- Article Kushnir A., Tarasov A., Zubrickas R. On equilibrium in monopolistic competition with endogenous labor // Economics Letters. 2021. Vol. 201. Article 109774. doi
- Article Hepenstrick C., Tarasov A. Per Capita Income and the Extensive Margin of Bilateral Trade // Canadian Journal of Economics. 2015. Vol. 48. No. 4. P. 1561-1599. (in press)
- Article Hepenstrick C., Tarasov A. Trade Openness and Cross-country Income Differences // Review of International Economics. 2015. Vol. 23. No. 2. P. 271-302. doi
- Article Tarasov A. Preferences and Income Effects in Monopolistic Competition Models // Social Choice and Welfare. 2014. Vol. 42. No. 3. P. 647-669. (in press)
- Article Tarasov A. Per Capita Income, Market Access Costs, and Trade Volumes // Journal of International Economics. 2012. Vol. 86. No. 2. P. 284-294. (in press)
- Article Tarasov A. Trade Liberalization and Welfare Inequality: A Demand-Based Approach // The Scandinavian Journal of Economics. 2012. Vol. 114. No. 4. P. 1296-1317. (in press)
- Article Tarasov A. Income Distribution, Market Structure, and Individual Welfare // B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics. 2009. Vol. 9. No. 1 (in press)
2018-2020: The Russian Science Foundation (RSF) grant No. 18-18-00253: “Income inequality, taste heterogeneity, and spatial dispersion: the aggregate implications of individual differences”
2018-2020: The Russian Science Foundation (RSF) grant No. 18-48-05007: “Information Acquisition, Diffusion and Disclosure in Markets”
2018-2020: The Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR) grant No. 18-010-01002: “General equilibrium multisectoral models: intersectoral markup divergence, welfare, and gravity”
Editorial board membership
2018: Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade.
2019: The First International Workshop “Market Studies and Spatial Economics” (Moscow), CESifo Area Conference on Global Economy (Munich), International Conference “Industrial Organization and Spatial Economics” (Saint-Petersburg), European Trade Study Group (Bern)
2018: EEA-ESEM Congress (Cologne), DEGIT XXIII (Moscow), European Trade Study Group (Warsaw)
2017: Conferences: 1st Catalan Economic Society Conference (Barcelona), 5th International Conference on Applied Research in Economics (Perm, Russia)
2016: 17th April International Academic Conference on Economics and Social Development (Moscow), EEA-ESEM Congress (Geneva), 9th FIW Research Conference (Vienna)
2015: Annual Meeting of Society for Economic Dynamics (Warsaw), 36th NES Research Conference (Moscow), 8th FIW Research Conference (Vienna)
"Trade and the Spatial Distribution of Transport Infrastructure" (with Gabriel Felbermayr), 2019, pdf
"A Theory of Monopolistic Competition with Horizontally Heterogenous Consumers" (with Sergey Kokovin, Shamil Sharapudinov, Philip Ushchev), 2020, pdf
Paper of Alexander Tarasov, Head of the Department of Theoretical Economics, Associate Professor, Ph.D in Economics Letters "On equilibrium in monopolistic competition with endogenous labor"
Nargiz Mammadova, first-year student of the Master's program Economics: Research Program on her way to the Economics: Research Program, her first semester experience, and her takeaways from the HSE University studies
Alexander Tarasov, Head of the Department of Theoretical Economics, spoke about the new general courses in Economics
Starting from the 2016-2017 academic year Faculty of Economic Sciences has launched a new international seminar series. The series host many established scholars as well as young promising economists from various respectable universities worldwide.
'Normal Is Not Ridiculous': Most Interesting Reports Presented at the HSE's XVII April International Academic Conference
A total of 900 papers were presented at the HSE's XVII April Conference in Moscow. We consider the following selection to be must-reads.
HSE Professors Alexander Tarasov and Roman Zakharenko have received the Gaidar Award for Young Economists for their article on the connection between trade costs and defense spending. A special award also went to the paper ‘Bad News: An Experimental Study on the Informational Effects of Rewards,’ whose authors include HSE Associate Professor Anton Suvorov.