Summary of Degree Programme
41.03.01 Foreign Area Studies
Instruction in English
The Program is of practical in nature and is aimed at training of highly qualified specialists in the field of economics, politics, and international relations in Asian countries (Korea, Japan, China).
- This Program is a double degree program. It is developed based on the experience of Kyung Hee University in teaching of foreign regional studies in the following specializations:
- Global Business;
- International Relations. There are no analogues on the Russian educational market.
- In the future, the possibility of obtaining diplomas from other universities (Japan and China) is planned, which was also agreed upon with Kyung Hee University.
- The Program provides for the possibility of internships for students specializing in China and Japan in these countries for six months.
- This Program (with the exception of Asian language courses) is taught in English.
A graduate in the field of foreign regional studies is a unique specialist, armed with knowledge in the field of economics, international relations, fluent in two foreign languages, easily adaptable to modern conditions of life and work of any kind, with the qualities inherent to a professional leader.
By the time of graduation from the Program, the student receives a state bachelor diploma in "Зарубежное регионоведение" at the Higher School of Economics, a diploma from the Kyung Hee University (Bachelor of International Studies) and a confirmation of acquiring an additional specialization:
- Global Business.
- International Relations.
Graduates of this Program will be able to work in:
- state and municipal government;
- foreign representative offices of the Russian Federation;
- national and international media;
- domestic and foreign banking institutions conducting international activities;
- large domestic companies and transnational corporations;
- research institutes and universities;
- tourism and hospitality industries;
- own business, etc.
A graduate may pursue the following positions:
- assistant manager;
- organizer and coordinator of international events of political, economic, socio-social, cultural and educational orientation;
- speechwriter, etc.
- Able to learn, acquire new knowledge, skills, including in a field other than professional
- Able to identify the scientific nature of problems in the professional field
- Able to solve problems in professional activities based on analysis and synthesis
- Able to assess the need for resources and plan their use in solving problems in professional activities
- Able to work with information: find, evaluate and use information from various sources necessary for solving scientific and professional problems (including based on a systematic approach).
- Able to conduct research activities, including analysis of problems, setting goals and objectives, highlighting the object and subject of research, choosing methods of research, as well as evaluating its quality
- Able to work in a team
- Able to competently build communication based on common goals and situations
- Able to critically evaluate and rethink the accumulated experience (one’s own and someone else’s), reflect on professional and social activities.
- Able to carry out industrial or applied activities in the international environment.
- Able to carry out applied research (international, regional and cross-border)
- Able to analyze information effectively using modern technology for collecting and storing information
- Able to study political and economic processes, give them an assessment, based on modern approaches in foreign regional studies
- Able to give interpretation, as well as correctly apply the results of the analysis of regional and country economic, political and other problems in professional activities
- Able to apply scientific approaches, concepts and methods developed in the framework of the theory of regional studies, international relations, comparative political science, economic theory to the study of specific problems of regions of specialization
- Able to compile a comprehensive description of the region of specialization taking into account its geopolitical, economic, political, social, demographic, ethnic, linguistic, cultural, religious and other features
- Able to analyze internal and external factors affecting the foreign policy of the country of specialization and the evolution of its foreign policy
- Able to evaluate and take into account the nature of historically developed socio-economic models and political systems when considering the characteristics of the trends in the political and economic development of regions and countries of specialization
- Able to highlight the degree and nature of the influence of religious, cultural and ethical teachings and norms on the development of political systems, socio-political institutions and socio-economic models of regions and countries of specialization
- Able to confidently and clearly formulate ideas and opinions on regional and country issues, using scientific terminology, both in written and oral form
- Able to moderate discussion within the framework of professional communication
- Able to carry out written and oral translations of professionally oriented materials from a foreign language into Russian and from Russian into a foreign language
- Able to give, upon request, a qualified opinion on regional and country problems of specialization, including for a wide audience of non-specialists
- Able to draw up expert opinions and participate in the development of promising programs for promoting international development
- Able to justify the relationship between the situation in the regions and countries of specialization and Russia's foreign policy
- Able to communicate with representatives of regions and countries of specialization, identifying and responding accordingly to cultural, linguistic and other characteristics that affect communication and dialogue
- Able to take responsibility in the framework of collective distribution as part of job duties
- Able to show tolerance, patience and a high level of control of emotional perception
- Able to adhere to ethical standards in the field of international relations, recognize professional ethical limitations and adhere to them in everyday practice
- Able to organize and plan their professional activities, as well as the activities of small project teams
- Able to adapt in professional environments and teams, demonstrate leadership
- Able to critically evaluate the proposed options for management decisions, develop and justify proposals for their improvement
- Able to initiate new ideas in the professional field and organize their implementation
- Able to conduct dialogue, correspondence, negotiations in a foreign language, including the language of the region and country of specialization
- Able to write official and business documentation in a foreign language, including the language of the region and country of specialization
- Able to establish professional contacts and develop professional communication, including in a foreign language, including the language of the region and country of specialization
- Able to prepare and conduct independent research on regional topics, formulating research goals and objectives, a scientific hypothesis, defining and ranking research tasks, including on the basis of interdisciplinary approaches
- Able to independently collect and process information from various sources on a specific scientific topic defined by the supervisor in the field of regional and country studies
- Able to work with media materials in Russian and a foreign language, compile press reviews on given topics, find, collect and initially summarize factual material, making reasonable conclusions
- Able to scientifically interpret the data of domestic and foreign statistics on socio-economic and political processes and phenomena in regions and countries
- Able to foresee possible problems and limitations in the planning and development of scientific research, propose options for their elimination
- Able to initiate and organize projects on the subject of regional studies
- Able to teach certain aspects of regional studies at the level of specialized general and secondary vocational education
The Program is composed of mandatory and variative parts. Each part includes several clusters.
Basic common cluster includes general educational modules which are aimed to develop and maintain common knowledge and skills.
Basic professional cluster (Major) is designed to give the student knowledge and competence in the field of regional foreign studies. This cluster includes mandatory and variative courses.
Mandatory courses equip students with useful and necessary skills and knowledge to enable them to work successfully at the local and international levels in the field of foreign regional studies.
The variative courses provide students with the specialization in one of the reigion tracks (Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Southeast Asian Studies) and assist in ensuring the students become experts in in the specifics of a particular region.
The extra cluster (Minor) involves additional specializations: Global Business or International Relations. It is aimed at a further expansion of the skills and expertise of the students in the field of foreign regional studies.
The elective cluster can be added by student's request. The elective cluster is set for developing complementary skills and knowledge from the program/faculty/university course pool.
This degree programme of HSE University is adapted for students with special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities. There is a specially designed Physical Education course available for such students (Syllabus of the adapted Physical Education course). Special assistive technology and teaching aids are used for collective and individual learning of students with SEN and disabilities. The specific adaptive features of the programme are listed in each subject's full syllabus and are available to students through the online Learning Management System.
The Program of the National Research University Higher School of Economics is adapted to teach disabled people and people with disabilities. There is special course syllabus for "Physical Education" (the adapted program "Physical Education"). The special equipment and learning technologies designed for group and individual exercises are used during the courses the disabled people and people with disabilities take part in. The adaptation characteristics of the programs can be found in the full version of the programs and are available for the students via Program's website and Learning Management System.
All documents of the degree programme are stored electronically on this website. Curricula, calendar plans, and syllabi are developed and approved electronically in corporate information systems. Their current versions are automatically published on the website of the degree programme. Up-to-date teaching and learning guides, assessment tools, and other relevant documents are stored on the website of the degree programme in accordance with the local regulatory acts of HSE University.
I hereby confirm that the degree programme documents posted on this website are fully up-to-date.
Vice Rector Sergey Yu. Roshchin