Research Seminar “Starting and Growing a Foreign Business in Russia and Abroad"
- To highlight pros and cons of doing business in Russia and abroad from a foreign investor’s perspective
- To develop an understanding of the Russian and the foreign business environment
- To challenge students to shift from being a receiver of ideas, facts, concepts and techniques, to a style of generating ideas, identifying problems, analyzing and evaluating alternatives and thus to develop the most important expert’s skills
- to describe political, economic, financial and cultural context of doing business in Russia and abroad, and the unique opportunities and challenges of working in the international business environment.
- to use statistical data, analytical national and industry reviews, legislation and legal literature and research publications to analyze the current conditions of entering a foreign market and make strategic decisions regarding the ways of establishing a new business in Russia and abroad.
- to be aware of a conception of current problems facing foreign business, including those problems under discussion among the main participants, and possible methods of their resolution.
- to critically evaluate analytical and scientific materials on the given issues.
- Historical Overview: Brief history of business and entrepreneurship in Russia and abroadMain stages of development of Russian and foreign business; Examples of Russian and foreign entrepreneurs activity.
- Country Profile: Why to enter the Russian or foreign market, drivers offering growth opportunities, challenges of the international business environmentPrincipal Economic Trends. Investment Climate: SWOT analysis; legal framework for foreign investors Business Environment
- Overview of regulatory Framework in Russia and abroadBusiness Entities. Starting a Business in Russia and abroad (establishing a legal presence): resident vs non-resident, advantages of branches. Foreign Investment procedures. Customs: Importing and exporting. Business and personal taxation, Russian sourced income of foreign companies. Labor relations and social security. Currency regulations
- Dynamics observed in the key industriesOil, gas and mining. Banking, finance and insurance. Pharmaceuticals and healthcare industry Telecommunications
- Living and working in Russia: useful tips
- Interim assessment (3 module)0.4 * Final test + 0.3 * Lecture attendance + 0.3 * Research project