How to Apply
Apply using the online application form. Detailed information on the specifics of the application process is available here. Applications may be submitted in English or in Russian.
Applications are processed on a rolling basis and can be submitted at any time. Within three business days of receiving your application, we will send an acknowledgment of receipt.
If you do not hear from us within three business days of sending, please contact us. All documents submitted as part of your application that are not in English or Russian should have an official English or Russian translation and be in either PDF or JPEG formats. Please include your last name in the filename (for example, Smith_BADiploma.pdf or Ivanov_Passport.jpeg).
November 1 - August 15*
Online applications are accepted for preliminary selection; online candidate interviews will be held with programmes
*You have to upload your portfolio to the personal online account before August 15
August 15 - August 25
Submission of all necessary documents via online accounts
*Confirm the enrolment; provide documents for contract signing
Deadline for submitting documents, including signing enrolment forms, contracts and making payments
* After receiving the contract by e-mail, you should send a signed scan of the contract in response letter within 3 - 5 working days.
* Payment under the agreement can be made on any day no later than August 28.
Classes starting date
- Completed application form
- Resume/CV. Please submit a standard CV, including, at a minimum, your educational achievements, work and research experience, publications (if any), and language knowledge.
3. Letter of motivation (300-500 words). This letter should describe your reasons for applying to this programme, in the context of your long-term career goals and background.
4. Essay (10-12 thousand characters). Please write about issues relating to the modern development of East Asia.
5. Scans of diplomas and academic transcripts. If you have not yet received your Bachelor’s diploma, please include an official copy of your most recent academic transcript.
6. Statement of language training and regional experience. Please state which Asian language(s) you speak and your level. The Asian language is mostly welcome but not required. Students who wish to start or continue their studies in Asian languages are welcome to apply to additional language courses. Please also describe any experience you have had in Asian countries (internships, language training, etc.)
7. Two letters of recommendation (at least one from someone familiar with your academic work). Please provide your recommenders with HSE’s letter of recommendation guidelines.
8. Scan of English language certificate (IELTS or TOEFL). English Certificate Requirement. Native speakers of English and students who have completed an entire degree exclusively in English do not need to submit proof of their English ability. All other applicants should submit test results no more than two years old.
International students can apply to study at HSE for free through full-tuition scholarships.
This merit-based scholarship will completely waive all tuition fees for selected full-degree Master's programmes at HSE.
Applicants should apply to the programmes they wish to enter starting from November 1, 2021. The deadline for submission of all supporting documents is August 28, 2022.
If the application is considered to be outstanding by the application committee, the applicant will be recommended for a scholarship. Winners of various student competitions may also receive full-tuition scholarships.
Please note that scholarships cover only the cost of tuition and that all other costs (including accommodation at HSE dormitories) must be covered by the student. Information about the estimated cost of living can be found here.