400 000 RUB/year
What you will study
The educational architecture of the programme is constructed of the following blocks:
- Socio-political History of East and Southeast Asia
- Methodology for Contemporary Asian Studies
- Key Problems in Asian Studies Research
- Modern Asian Political Processes
- Russian Policy in Asia
Electives, i.e., subjects which students choose to take and which will help develop knowledge in specific aspects of their chosen specialization, include:
- Entrepreneurship and Business in China
- Doing Business in Japan
- East and Southeast Asian Entrepreneurship
- Islam and Politics
- Post-Totalitarian China and the Political Economy of Transition
The programme provides research training with an emphasis on the study of transnational relations, cooperation between Asia and the West and between Asia and Russia. It also focuses on demographic and ethno-religious processes; economic, military and political elites; modern technologies; globalization and modernization. A special one-year course is dedicated to studying economic development and the unique aspects of doing business in East Asia, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. Every year, we invite lecturers from foreign universities to deliver one or more courses.
The programme has a truly international character and is open to applicants from around the world. Students come from more than 20 countries, including Indonesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, China, Taiwan, Nigeria, Ghana, Spain, Thailand, South Korea, Bangladesh, Latvia, Estonia, Australia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Moldova, Japan, Brazil, and others, thereby creating the benefit of global intellectual interaction.
Over its eight years of existence, the programme has trained more than 170 graduates who hold prestigious positions in ministries and state agencies, large state and private firms, international organizations and embassies, and in the media. Programme graduates continue their studies in postgraduate schools at Russian and foreign universities, and some have already become successful scholars.
During your studies
The education process focuses on studying modern socioeconomic, political and cultural-historical processes in Asian countries. Particular attention is paid to the study of cross-border and transnational relations; the relations of Asian countries with Russia and countries of the West; demographic, ethno-religious processes, economic, military and political elites; modern economic development and business models, as well as globalization and social modernization processes.
Students have the opportunity to take part in different educational, research and professional projects, including in cooperation with various HSE University partner companies and organizations.
During their second year, students complete a research internship.
Graduates of the master’s programme pursue careers in business, trade and economic relations as analysts with expertise in socio-economic, political and cultural matters in Asian countries. They work in both public and private businesses, as well as in embassies and trade representations in Asian countries, and international and non-governmental institutions. They have found positions as teachers and lecturers in Asian studies, as well as mass media specialists, etc.
Graduates have experienced considerable demand in the following professions:
- Government departments and organizations focusing on cooperation between Russia and Asia in the fields of economics and politics, science and culture, including Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Ministries of Economic Development, Embassies and Trade Representations in Asia, Ministries of Education and Science, and regional authorities
- International and intergovernmental organizations, especially the commissions of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) and the United Nations
- Expert, industrial and state research organizations, including think tanks, that analyse Asian political and economic situations
- Academy of Sciences research institutions
- Universities and institutions of higher education that research and teach subjects connected with Asian states and languages
- Information agencies and the mass media
- Large-scale companies with state participation that have an economic interest in expanding ties with Asia
How to apply
- Submitting portfolio
- English language exam
Applicants must complete an online form to apply to the programme. A CV, motivation letter, essay, scans of documents proving academic and professional achievements, and other documents are required
Applicants can also submit a request for HSE full-tuition scholarships to study for free. The programme provides 25 full-tuition scholarships and 10 tuition-fee places for Russian citizens, as well as five full-tuition scholarships and five tuition-fee places for international students.
Students can also apply to the programme with results from HSE and international competitions.
For more information on submitting documents, see the webpage for prospective students.