- Professor:Faculty of Mathematics
- Tenured Professor (2016)
- Distinguished Professor
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Sergei Lando has been at HSE since 2008.
Education and Degrees
Doctor of Sciences* in Geometry and Topology
Steklov Mathematical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Geometry and Topology
Lomonosov Moscow State University
Doctoral programme in Mathematics
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Mechanics and Mathematics
Degree in Mathematics
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Mechanics and Mathematics
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
January 2008 till present: HSE Faculty of Mathematics, Professor, Dean
February 1996 till present: Department of Mathematics, RAS Institute of System Research, Senior Research Fellow
September 1991 till present: Moscow Independent University, Professor
November 1990 - January 1996: Institute of New Technology, Moscow, Leading Research Fellow
December 1984 - November 1990: RAS Institute of Software Systems, Pereslavl Zalessky, Yaroslavl Oblast, Junior Research Fellow, Senior Research Fellow, Head of Laboratory, Leading Research Fellow
October 1977 - November 1981: Research Institute of Control Machines and Systems, Perm, Junior Research Fellow, Senior Research Fellow
Repeated collaboration (for periods of 1 to 4 months) with the Max Planck Institute of Mathematics (Bonn, Germany), as well as with universities in France (Bordeaux, Rennes), Germany (Bochum, Bielefeld), Sweden (Stokholm), the Netherlands (Utrecht), USA (Ohio), Canada (Toronto), and Great Britain (Liverpool).
Membership in professional societies
Moscow Mathematical Society, member of the board (since 2006)
Student Term / Thesis Papers
E. Sokolova «Delta-matroids, Embedded Graphs, and Knot Invariants». Faculty of Mathematics, 2017
D. Slonimskiy «Multiplicative Invariants of Graphs and Their Projections to Primitive Subspaces, a Comparison». Faculty of Mathematics, 2017
P. Kovalev «Families of Algebraic Curves and of Their Mappings». Faculty of Mathematics, 2017
A. Zhukova «Parametrized Tutte Invariant as a 4-invariant of Graphs». Faculty of Mathematics, 2017
V. Zhukov «Binary Delta-Matroids, Lagrangian Subspaces, and Weight Systems». Faculty of Mathematics, 2017
E. Krasilnikov «Extending the Sl2-weight System to Graphs». Faculty of Mathematics, 2017
A. Dunaykin «Invariants of Graphs and Delta-matroids Generating Knot Invariants». Faculty of Mathematics, 2016
M. Dudina «Enumeration of Origami Curves». Faculty of Mathematics, 2016
P. Filippova «Invariants of Binary Delta-Matroids and Projections onto the Subspace of Primitive Elements». Faculty of Mathematics, 2018
A. Dunaykin «Finite-order Invariants of Legendrian Knots». Faculty of Mathematics, 2018
- Discrete Mathematics (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Mathematics; programme "Mathematics"; 1 year, 1, 4 module)Rus
- Introduction to Algebraic Topology (Faculty of Mathematics; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Research Seminar "Combinatorics of Vassiliev Invariants 1" (Faculty of Mathematics; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Research Seminar "Combinatorics of Vassiliev Invariants 2" (Faculty of Mathematics; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Research Seminar "Permutations, Coverings, Integrability" (Faculty of Mathematics; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Rus
- Коллоквиум "Москва-Пиза" (Москва). Presentation: Algebraic combinatorial structures underlying finite order knot and link invariants
- 2016Moduli spaces, integrable systems, and topological recursions (Монреаль). Presentation: On Dubrovin's Frobenius structures on Hurwitz spaces
- Moduli, Integrability and Dynamics (Djursholm). Presentation: Computation of universal polynomials for characteristic classes of singularities
- Комбинаторика инвариантов Васильева 2016-2017 (Москва). Presentation: Алгебра Хопфа хордовых диаграмм
- 2014The Legacy of Vladimir Arnold (Торонто). Presentation: On graph invariants related to finite order knot invariants
Integrable Systems an Moduli Spaces (
- Book Казарян М. Э., Ландо С. К., Прасолов В. В. Алгебраические кривые. По направлению к пространствам модулей. М. : МЦНМО, 2019.
- Article Kazaryan M., Zvonkine D., Lando S. Universal Cohomological Expressions for Singularities in Families of Genus 0 Stable Maps // International Mathematical Research Notices. 2018. No. 22. P. 6817-6843. doi
- Article Lando S., Жуков В. И. Delta-Matroids and Vassiliev Invariants // Moscow Mathematical Journal. 2017. Vol. 17. No. 4. P. 741-755.
- Article Lando S. Mathematical Education in Universities in the Soviet Union and Modern Russia // Higher Education in Russia and Beyond. 2015. No. 4(6). P. 6-8.
- Preprint Kulakova E., Lando S., Mukhutdinova T., Rybnikov G. On a weight system conjecturally related to $\sl_2$ / Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2013.
- Preprint Kulakova E., Lando S., Mukhutdinova T., Rybnikov G. On a weight system conjecturally related to sl2 / Cornell University. Series math "arxiv.org". 2013. No. 1307.4933.
- Chapter Ландо С. К. Учителя // В кн.: Поколения ВШЭ. Учителя об учителях. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2013. С. 84-87.
- Article Kazaryan M., Lando S. Topological Relations on Witten–Kontsevich and Hodge Potentials // Moscow Mathematical Journal. 2012. Vol. 12. No. 2. P. 397-411.
- Book Ландо С.К Введение в дискретную математику. М. : МЦНМО, 2012.
- Book Ландо С. К., Звонкин А. Графы на поверхностях и их приложения. М. : МЦНМО, 2010.
- Chapter Ландо С. К., Казарян М. Э. Приложение: Алгебро-геометрическое доказательство гипотезы Виттена // В кн.: Графы на поверхностях и их приложения. М. : МЦНМО, 2010.
- Article Zvonkine D., Lando S. Counting Ramified Coverings and Intersection Theory on Spaces of Rational Functions I (Cohomology of Hurwitz Spaces) // Moscow Mathematical Journal. 2007. Vol. 7. No. 1. P. 85-107.
- Article Ландо С. К. J-инварианты орнаментов и оснащенные хордовые диаграммы // Функциональный анализ и его приложения. 2006. Т. 40. № 1
- Book Lando S., Звонкин А., Zagier D. Graphs on Surfaces and Their Applications. Berlin : Springer, 2004.
- Book Lando S. Lectures on Generating Functions. Providence : AMS, 2003.
- Book Ландо С. К. Лекции о производящих функциях. М. : МЦНМО, 2002.
- Article Ландо С. К. Разветвленные накрытия двумерной сферы и теория пересечений на пространствах модулей мероморфных функций на алгебраических кривых // Успехи математических наук. 2002. Т. 57. № 3
- Article Vainshtein А., Lando S., Shapiro М., Ekedahl T. Hurwitz numbers and intersections on moduli spaces of curves // Inventiones Mathematicae. 2001. Vol. 146. P. 297-327.
- Article Lando S. On a Hopf algebra in graph theory // Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A. 2000. Vol. 80
- Article Ландо С. К., Звонкин Д. О кратностях отображения Ляшко-Лойенги на стратах дискриминанта // Функциональный анализ и его приложения. 1999. Т. 33. № 2. С. 21-34.
- Article Lando S. Geometry of Stokes sets for families of functions of one variable // Journal of Mathematical Sciences. 1997. Vol. 83
- Article Ландо С. К. Эквивариантно замкнутые продолжения для действия ортогональной группы // Успехи математических наук. 1997. Т. 52. № 2
- Book Ландо С. К., Звонкин А., Семенов А., Шень А. Алгоритмика . М. : Дрофа, 1996.
- Book Ландо С. К., Кулаков А. Задачник к Алгоритмике. М. : Дрофа, 1996.
- Article Ландо С. К. Деформации дифференциальных форм // Труды Математического института им. В.А. Стеклова РАН. 1995. Т. 209. С. 167-199.
- Article Ландо С. К. Нормальные формы степеней форм объема // Функциональный анализ и его приложения. 1985. Т. 19. № 2. С. 67-68.
On January 18, several university staff members were awarded HSE medals and notes of acknowledgement from the Rector.
The HSE Summer University is off to a strong start this year, and one of its programmes – the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) in Mathematics – has already been met with considerable enthusiasm by participating students. Designed for undergraduate students majoring in Mathematics or related areas, participants work on research projects under the supervision of distinguished mathematicians.
On June 22, several HSE lecturers and staff members were awarded the status of Tenured Professor at a meeting of HSE Academic Council. Sixteen HSE staff members became Distinguished Professors at the Higher School of Economics for the first time.
On May 22, the first thesis for an HSE PhD degree was defended. Following the new procedure, mathematician Pavlo Gavrylenko defended his thesis on isomonodromic deformations and quantum theory. This took place not before a big dissertation council, but a committee of experts in this particular field of mathematical physics.
The second stage of the Golden HSE competition has come to an end, and the short-listed nominees have been announced.
On November 27, the HSE Academic Council held an awards ceremony dedicated to the university’s 25th anniversary. The meeting saw the participation of representatives of the Russian President, members of government, and members of the Russian Federal Assembly. Governmental awards were given to a number of HSE employees for their tremendous accomplishments.
Carlos Cortez, a bronze medallist of the International Mathematical Olympiad (2011, 2012, 2013) and a Mathematics graduate of MIT, recently completed a two-month research internship at the HSE Faculty of Mathematics under the supervision of Professor Sergei Lando. He will soon be pursuing a Master’s degree at University Paris-Sud in France followed by a PhD at Northwestern University (USA). The research internship was made possible through a cooperation agreement between MIT International Science and Technology Initiatives (MISTI) and HSE.
After Turning Down Offers in New York and Berlin, Chinese Student Pursues Mathematics Training at HSE
For DaoDao Yang, a native of Dali, China, choosing a programme in mathematics came down to the decision of where he felt most challenged and most comfortable. This ultimately meant turning down offers at New York University and the Berlin Mathematical School to accept an offer from the Master’s programme at the Higher School of Economics. In an extensive interview with the HSE news service, Dao Dao recently spoke about what led him to choose HSE for his postgraduate study; his impressions of the programme, its professors and his fellow students; and his future plans.
On April 29, 2016 at the Academic Council meeting 25 HSE Professors were conferred the status of Tenured Professor.
A career in science and technology might sound appealing to the average Russian, but a recent survey showed that most Russians believe men are better suited for this line of work than women. The young women interviewed for this story, a mathematician and a programmer, are of a different opinion.
On December 23, 2015, the 15th Golden HSE Award ceremony took place at the Central House of Artists.
On December 23 the winners of the Golden HSE Awards were announced. The jury selected the winners in each of the main categories: Achievement in research, Contribution to the development of HSE, For kindness and personal involvement, Achievement in teaching and Alumni success in academic activity. Winners of the Silver Nestling were also announced during the ceremony.
The sixth issue of HERB dedicated to mathematics is now available. There are three sections in the issue. The first section is devoted to the analysis of mathematical education in the USSR and modern Russia, the second one features the career opportunities for those, who received mathematical education in Russia, and the third section describes the current situation with mathematics in universities.
Math in Moscow, a joint programme run by the Independent University of Moscow, the Moscow Centre for Continuous Mathematical Education and the Higher School of Economics, is accepting applications for the spring 2016 semester until September 30. The Math in Moscow programme for international students has been giving young mathematicians from different countries the opportunity to learn from the best Russian teachers. All programme courses are taught in English.
On July 9, Professor and first dean of the HSE’s Faculty of Mathematics Sergei Lando celebrates his 60th birthday.
Within Five Years of the Faculty’s Creation, the HSE Has Become the Leading Russian Institution of Higher Learning in Pure Mathematics
Several experts from the world’s leading universities make up the International Advisory Board at the HSE Faculty of Mathematics. They have inspected various aspects of the Faculty’s activity and summarized their findings in a recent report.